Worst capital city ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debeest
    I don't have a first-turn save; I think my earliest save may be 1 AD. London is there at that point.
    I thought there was an autosave on the first turn that doesn't get overwritten.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

No, you have to make the 4000BC save yourself.

Comment

Hmmm, whenever i go back to clean out, I always seem to find a few of those, and I'm sure I didn't make them.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I never noticed anything like that
          "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
          I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
          Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by rah
            Hmmm, whenever i go back to clean out, I always seem to find a few of those, and I'm sure I didn't make them.
            Could it be from restarting due to host techs etc? (obviously the game makes a save file from your most recent turn, and the only way this would be 4000 bc is if you didn't continue to play at 4000 bc as near as I can tell).

Other then this, I have never seen what Rah is referring to either, though I beleive he usually hosts, so the above would make sense...no?
            "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Given that London is the first English city, he could have used the map editor to create a map with that point as their starting place, then London is automatically founded there if you use accelerated start...
              "Pointless Sig Quote"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrowhawk
                Could it be from restarting due to host techs etc? (obviously the game makes a save file from your most recent turn, and the only way this would be 4000 bc is if you didn't continue to play at 4000 bc as near as I can tell).
                Other then this, I have never seen what Rah is referring to either, though I beleive he usually hosts, so the above would make sense...no?
                Yes, possible. I do usually host. My only question is that if we restart, and your theory is correct, wouldn't the new game overwrite the old one?
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by debeest
                  The first line of my last post ("shocked -- shocked!!") is a swipe from a humorous line in the movie Casablanca, and it was supposed to tip you all off that I was writing tongue-in-cheek.
                  "play it again, Sam..."

"round up the usual suspects..."

I appreciated the humor, and have seen even more stupid moves by the AI, but never so bad a city placement. Perhaps it was looking for a better one and just timed out and settled in the nearest Plains?

Comment

Re: That's nothing!

Originally posted by Straybow
                    "In my day we'd be happy to have a site with nothing but mountains. We lived in a puddle in the road and had to eat cold gravel for breakfast… Tell that to kids nowadays and they won't believe you."
                    "Kids today, they're spoiled. When I was a kid, we had nothing. We had to eat the lint out of our navels. But we were grateful for what we had."

"What did you have?"

"Nothing!"

Comment

Originally posted by rah

Yes, possible. I do usually host. My only question is that if we restart, and your theory is correct, wouldn't the new game overwrite the old one?
                      If its a numbered SAV, like AB_B4000.SAV, you have to make it yourself; the game only makes AB_AUTO2.SAV ones. That's in Classic/2.4.2, not MGE. Could be different for setting up a MP game. And with restarts, could the leader's name be different, causing a different auto-save file?

Comment

is a swipe from a humorous line in the movie Casablanca,

Glad to know you weren't hurt by our skepticism.

So play it again, Sam.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

>> Perhaps it was looking for a better one and just timed out and settled in the nearest Plains?

Yeah, Elephant, I was picturing the same kind of thoughts running through the poor little AI's head: "Doggonit, everyplace I look, there's nothing but mountains. I'd better build right here; these plains look like the best territory in the whole world."

Comment

Change the Civ to Nepalese or Incans...

Comment

Yes, I have. I played an accelerated game, small map, where the AI decided to place my only city (size 8) on the arctic. I had 8 turns to find a decent new city with my existing units- sans palace, o' course.

p.s.- no, I don't have a saved version. It was a long time ago. You'll just have to trust me.
                              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Elephant

If its a numbered SAV, like AB_B4000.SAV, you have to make it yourself; the game only makes AB_AUTO2.SAV ones. That's in Classic/2.4.2, not MGE. Could be different for setting up a MP game. And with restarts, could the leader's name be different, causing a different auto-save file?
                                I always customize the leader name so it's always the same. RA_
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X