Colony City Colosseums 1863

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colony City Colosseums 1863

7 of 9 Colony Cities are building Colosseums. In an attempt to get the Senate to agree to fund some, I had to agree to Colosseums in most cities. Pork barrel politics is horrible. Now that gold is an issue, perhaps we should change some city-production.

We would lose some shields if we convert Colosseums to Settlers (a serious need in order to get more cities established). We could convert some Colosseum effort to Barracks so we have Vet Crusaders/Musketeers. We could also consider Harbors, Marketplaces, Granaries, etc.

Keep Building them and use Caravan Gold for Completion
    20.00%
    Convert the most Advanced 4 to Barracks
    40.00%
    Convert the least Advance 4 to Barracks
    20.00%
    Convert the most Advanced 4 to Something Else
    0.00%
    Convert the least Advanced 4 to Something Else
    0.00%
    Convert the most Advanced 4 to Settlers
    0.00%
    Convert the least Advanced 4 to Settlers
    0.00%
    Letting the Great Banana God Decide has a Certain "a peel" to Me
    20.00%

The poll is expired.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
    Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
    Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
    Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

I think we should switch them all to barracks, and build Vet Musketeers for decent defenses.

This way we can at least protect ourselves, should the worst happen.

Then we can concentrate on white goods.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I voted banana because I didn't favour doing something with exactly four cities.

I think we need barracks - whether we need 4 barracks and in which cities I leave for the cabinet to decide. I don't want to see us losing too many shields by switching to settlers, but if there are cities where the switch wouldn't cost us too much, so be it.

RJM at Sleeper's
      Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Without looking at the save right now (will do that first chance I get on my Civ2 computer), I think I would like at least a few cities to build Collosea to aim to get towards celebrating, however from the war-thirsty looks in people's eyes down at the tavern it seems like some Barracks would be useful, and settlers are certainly needed whilst we have plenty of good land around.

I will vote properly when I get to my save.
        Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Consider "4" to mean "about half". Sorry about seeming too specific.
          Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner

Comment

Originally posted by cavebear
            Consider "4" to mean "about half". Sorry about seeming too specific.
            OK, "about half" it is, though this citizen wouldn't mind if that turned out to be 2 or 3.

As BM has pointed out the colosseums will help our colonies grow, so if we have any that are nearly complete I'd be inclined to let them finish. And I think we need at least 1 more settler - either from a city with very few shields in the box or else from the first city to fiish a colosseum.

RJM at Sleeper's

Comment

Can we also consider designing cities for various functions (producing units, happiness, science cities?
              "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
              "Every now and again, declare peace. it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

Comment

Originally posted by rjmatsleepers

OK, "about half" it is, though this citizen wouldn't mind if that turned out to be 2 or 3.

As BM has pointed out the colosseums will help our colonies grow, so if we have any that are nearly complete I'd be inclined to let them finish. And I think we need at least 1 more settler - either from a city with very few shields in the box or else from the first city to fiish a colosseum.

RJM at Sleeper's
                Is that "2 or 3" Barracks or "2 or 3" Colosseums?

The concern with the Colosseums is that I started too many at once and overlooked getting additional Settlers started. Also, none of the Colosseums are particularly near completion. The Barracks idea is that they can be built faster and we want some anyway (then get some cities back to Settlers).

Comment

Originally posted by cavebear

Is that "2 or 3" Barracks or "2 or 3" Colosseums?
                  Barracks, but who's counting

RJM at Sleeper's

Comment

In none of these cities is a colosseum justified right now. The cities are all too small, more cities (at least the three projected for the river complex) are desirable, and many more should be carrying a settler (engineer, even better). All the additional settler/engineer building further puts off the need for colosseums.

There are no great solutions that I can see, I am sorry to have to say. With cash so dear, even building a bunch of barracks is unthinkable. Looking over the save I sent that showed the development plan, the four northern most cities appear to have the greatest longterm potential in terms of bothe shields and food surplus. So, those are the cities I would look at first for colosseums and of those, Malaca would be my choice. A Temple is needed NOW in one city and in another in about three turns. That's three white goods builds which is about all there is cash for, assuming the Beads van brings in a good profit. The rest I would change to settlers.

That's my take. It's not pretty. But you did ask for input.

Monk
                    so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody Monk

A Temple is needed NOW in one city and in another in about three turns. That's three white goods builds which is about all there is cash for, assuming the Beads van brings in a good profit. The rest I would change to settlers.

That's my take. It's not pretty. But you did ask for input.

Monk
                      Definitely switch to temple in any city without one - I'm surprised we've managed to get this far with cities lacking one. And I agree with Monk about the size of our cities. They won't need a colosseum for ages so any sensible switch will be worthwhile. It may even be worth building a granary which I normally wouldn't consider.

RJM at Sleeper's

Comment

Rusucurru is about to build a 2nd citizen without a Temple, and will get that Temple. It will bring our gold to 2 gold for a turn, but we have little choice. Gades will need one soon, but I expect to have Caravan gold to use for that.

Comment

Working...
                        X