Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1842 MoW: The state of our army's

We have by far the greatest and best equiped army on this planet

With close to 60 cavalry soon your MoW feels we have enough horses to feed.

While they are good for the attack on the Greek core due to their 2 moves I dont see the added vallue on our German front where we attack with railroads anyway.

I therefore proposes to switch from cavalry to cannons after the next batch is build.
    (Same attackpower, 1 move less at 2/3 the price )

Another thing is I feel we need some more alpines, not only are they our best scouting units (They dont get killed as often as dips and they have 3 moves anywhere ) but they are also our best defence units.
    We currently have 5 with another 2 in production, I would suggest another 5-10 be build asap for scouting duties in the Greek and middle lands.

/me Minister of War
    Attached Files
    A1: Switch from cavalry to cannons
    25.00%
    A2: Keep producing cavalry
    25.00%
    B1: Build more alpines
    40.00%
    B2: We have enough alpines for now
    0.00%
    A+B: Eat Banana's and make love, not war.
    10.00%

The poll is expired.

The secret of good commanders lies in small details. Not all are capable of planning and deploying meticulously each unit to its proper position in a coordinated effort to subdue the enemy forces regardless of their size or possible superiority in numbers or equipment.
    Not all are able to realise their plans and perform in the best way in the heat of the battle.

The greatest Napoleon’s secret was his ability to coordinate perfectly the movement of his cavalry, infantry and artillery and to use his troops to the maximum extent of their capabilities. That is how he performed miracles like the victory at Austerlitz where he was outnumbered three to one.
    Our Supreme Military Commander seems to show the same keen understanding of the principles of warfare and the implementation of combined arms coupled with the most efficient use of particular types of units. His many victories stand as proof of his abilities and we should trust him on this one and support his ideas related to the type of armed forces we need the most, for he alone knows best how to use them for our common benefit.

Comment

I voted for Calvary, since I don't see the point of cannons, since calvary have 2x as many movement points. We can use them twice in battle.

Once we hit 60 calvary then we can start building cannons to replace our losses.

Alpines are an excellent unit, the problem is finding the cities to build them, since to be useful they have to be on our front, and our front cities have had other concerns.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
        I voted for Calvary, since I don't see the point of cannons, since calvary have 2x as many movement points. We can use them twice in battle.
        The problem with this is that after the first attack our cavalry are usualy so far in the red that we can only use them to walk into undefended city's ('If' they even have a second move left), and as we're attacking Germans and most of Greeks with railroads we realy dont need the second move.

Seeing that for the same quality unit we're paying 50% more I say switch to cannons.
        We have enough cavalry to take out any city that we cant reach by RR.

Alpines are an excellent unit, the problem is finding the cities to build them, since to be useful they have to be on our front, and our front cities have had other concerns.
        Just build them in any city connected by railroad

Comment

Q: If our Cavalry end up Far Infra Red, how will our cannons end up? they only have 1 defense while the Cavalry have 3.

Shade
          ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
          "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
          shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

A: Doesnt realy matter becouse we're not defending with them.

Comment

Voted for Cavalry... it's just an extra 50 g; the added attack and better defense seems worth it.
              "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
              "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Seems not because we are never going to use either the added attack or the defence.

It appears atawa we're losing this one again. I need you to promise something. Promise you are going to poll this one again in a week and after that again and again and again until we educate the people enough to see the truth: Canon is superior compared to cavalry in our position.

Comment

Off course the people can vote whatever they like, only thing it means is we will only have 66% the attacking units, slowing us down considderably.

/me not sure anymore if he is the right man for the job

Comment

Let us keep roughly even numbers of Cavalry and Cannons available so that local tactical opportunities can best be taken advantage of. When I voted for Cavalry, we had more Cannons than Cavalry and it appeared the extra moves and the defensive advantage outweighed the cost. Now we have more Cavalry and our highly aggressive RR construction has decreased the value of open-field mobility.

And since Alpines move along RR just fine, keep building those, too.
                    Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                    Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                    Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                    Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

If I may attempt to agree with both our President and Minister of War on the subject of Alpine Troops I think we should go ahead and produce them either in the cities on the front, or in cities along the Railroad network (as I suggested in my last city planner report, I will again suggest the commission of 5-10 Alpine troops as that seems to be the will of the people).

Ben's point that alpine troops can only be built in the front line cities is true in that the area we want to uncover is on the front (where there are no railroads). atawa wants to build them in cities with the rail connection, and while it would take them a while to get to the front (because of no railroads) I think it is necessary to do so, and after all the basic advantage of Alpine Troops is their ability to get where they are going quickly, so the lack of roads/railroads should be almost a non-factor.

/me City Planner

p.s. As for the Cannons/Calvary, I voted for Cannons (which tied it up), more because I don't wish to see this repolled week after week as lcjvetko suggests. The advantages/disadvantages of both are almost negligible in my opinion.
                      "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Far be it from me, a mere servant with no access to the save, to distrust the opinion of the SMC, in a position that has brought the Imperium much glory.

Cannons it is.
                        Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Originally posted by ljcvetko
                          Seems not because we are never going to use either the added attack or the defence.

It appears atawa we're losing this one again. I need you to promise something. Promise you are going to poll this one again in a week and after that again and again and again until we educate the people enough to see the truth: Canon is superior compared to cavalry in our position.
                          "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                          "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Given our RR and non RR locations and requirements, I think we should indeed re-visit this question after each session. It's not a settled question that can be answered only way with certainty for all the game.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                            Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                            Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                            Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Just build them in any city connected by railroad
                              Most of the unexplored areas involve cities not connected by railroad to the rest of the imperium.

I just want to get our calvary up to snuff before building the cannons, just so that we have the flexibility accorded from the extra move.

Here is my general tactical deploment:

1. Cannons to wound the garrison.
                              2. Calvary to mop up.

Now the Calvary having the same punch can do the first part, as well as the second, but the cannons cannot mop up with nearly the efficiency of the calvary.

So our first priority ought to be the calvary, followed by the cannons.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                              X