Clear All

• Foreign Minister election

ljcvetko or the banana?
    ljcvetko
    75.00%
    Banana
    25.00%

The poll is expired.

Voting is really dull if you aren't tempted to pick the banana - what's the point of running elections with only one candidate? It's a waste of time, and an opportunity to fill the forums with more unneeded posts. Not spam as such, but still, a bit of a waste of 'poly's capacity.

Comment

People have lost to the banana before.

Therefore, said elections are not a waste.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I know that people (who to save any blushes shall remain nameless) have lost to the banana before, but was the banana a decent minister?
        This is a waste of time and space!

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york
          Voting is really dull if you aren't tempted to pick the banana - what's the point of running elections with only one candidate? It's a waste of time, and an opportunity to fill the forums with more unneeded posts. Not spam as such, but still, a bit of a waste of 'poly's capacity.
          It's part of the democratic process, that's why we vote.

You could, in a similar vein, argue that we shouldn't have held the last 2 real life federal elections in Canada, either, since the outcome was already known.

Now go off and vote banana for Science Minister
          "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
          "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

The other purpose these votes serve, is that the candidate(s) will usually post their platform in the election thread, where it can be debated by the people and possibly amended by the candidate.

I know that I never vote for anyone who can't be bothered to post a platform - even a humourous one.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
            "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

was the banana a decent minister?
              Apparently better than 'those who shall remain nameless.'
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

You can always have someone stand up after the 11th hour as a new candidate, creating some more interest in the election by causing great annoyance in that they either miss out and we have a dull election or the poll has to be redone.
                Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

/me has voted

Comment

The outcome may have been a foregone conclusion in your Canadian elections, but at least more than one person stood for office. This is the same as having a poll saying "Should ljcvetko be Foreign Minister? Yes [ ] Abstain [ ]". Democracy is the right to choose. If there is no choice then democracy is worthless. Mugabe's elections are more democratic than these because at least people have another choice, even if they are denied the right to choose that option. Well, maybe not denied, but discouraged with a rifle....

Comment

Those who do not run for office shouldn't complain *too* loudly about a lack of contested elections!

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                      Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                      Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                      Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

I'm not complaining that they're uncontested - just that they're elections!
                        There's no need!
                        But given that I shan't convince anyone here that these polls are a waste of time and space then I'll be quiet(er) from now on.

The reason I'm not running is that I hardly ever get to play Civ on my girlfriend's PC and am forced to play on my PS instead, which is nowhere near as good and doesn't let me take a proper role in the Demo games. At CFC I played in the first demo games and had a number of non-executive positions, including Science and Foreign Ministers and City Planner, but had to rely on the President to tell me what the situation was after every turn and to post all relevant screenshots. That's why I'm not running. I'd love to but I can't so .

Comment

duke o' - we've always had elections in the Civ2 DG, whether there were multiple candidates or not. This way at least we see if those participating are happy enough with that candidate or not. As has been mentioned, there were instances that the Banana won, which clearly implies that the candidate was not acceptable then.

Otherwise, I wouldn't mind so much who wins an election - everyone standing this term (and most others) is so good at it all!

Almost a shame though, that the Civ2 elections are earlier than every other Demo Game's. I am currently waiting to get OUT of my other positions, but there is no way I could have put my hand up for anything here (despite wanting to) until I had them out of the way. Perhaps December.
                          Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

I came , I saw, I voted
                            The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

/me waits for some kind of platform before voting

Comment

Working...
                              X