No announcement yet.

Tale of the Years 1806 to 1824

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like a good sequence of turns. I am not clear how many cities the American still have left , but if we took Atlanta and destroyed Kansas City , I think they are down to 5? Three of which we have located?

As for the Zulus, it looks like you also successfully depleted their cities, and with their level of gold, I suggest we continue bribing all but Zimbabwae, as we need to get a sizable army (of Cannons or Calvary and Dips there in order to take their capital with walls and many improvements). By the time we get that force there, I expect the Zulus will only have their capital left (and Islandwanda with the railroad connection looks like a good place to attack from).

As for the choice of Industrialization over Amphibious Warfare , I must say I am dissappointed, not over your choice, but rather that I did not have the opportunity to choose . It may well be that we will not get another opportunity to choose a tech, and that it won't matter if we would have gotten any more tech choices, but I still would have liked to have seen a science poll giving the options to the citizens.

You mentioned we were able to steal Magnetism from the Germans when we bribed Stutgart, but didn't mention (anywhere that I can see :hmm: ) that the Germans got Magnetism. Was that this sequence of turns or last? And did they or anyone else get any more techs?

The last question I have (for now ) is about the decision to change the tax rate to 80-10-10. Which Minister (if any) gave that suggestion ? I thought we were going to try to get our cities celebrating (and maybe now that we have taken Mike's we can more easily) but don't we need a higher luxury rate then 10%? And if we don't truly want any techs now that we have tactics , why didn't we reduce science to 0? (10% in fundamentalism has to be near 0 anyhow ) I would have thought that initially (after tactics) we would have a Tax rate of 50-0-50, to get our cities celebrating and then lower luxuries (and increase tax) to a level when they will maintain the celebration.

All in all looks like a good sequence of turns , we are still dishonourable , even with the Eiffel Tower which in a military campaign can't be a bad thing

/me
    "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Find Stuttgart! Bribe it for 3437G,
      Now we just need Pharsalos and our set of wonders will be complete.

As for the 80-10-10 why don't we try to celebrate? 40% luxuries with Mike's Chapel ought to get every city celebrating.

Last edited by Ben Kenobi; October 18, 2003, 04:50.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

it seems like we did great...

where did we discover Kansas city?(did you take a look around in that area if there aren't any other cities in that area?(you never know, maybe a feeble attempt of the AI to survive?))

It looks like we will need to build some new troops to be prepared to take on those Germans.

Shade
        ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
        "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
        shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

Sure thing SMC! Brand new crack troops are coming!

Our railroad is marvellous achievement! Let's keep building it!

And to Mr. President, let's bribe Pharsalos in our next session, and switch to military production in almost all of our cities

And your minister of armament will make sure we have a mighty army at our disposal so that we may crush any army that will stand against us!

Comment

Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye...

The AIs are done for. Well done everyone.

Now that we have Mikes, celebration becomes more feasible - not because we get less unrest due to Mike, but because we get more income, and we can set the luxury rate higher and still have more income than we did, pre-Mike.

However, I'm still torn about whether celebrating Fundy is worthwhile. The main benefit, IMO, is more base trade which helps make Freight delivery more profitable, and that won't apply in this game.

Be careful not to lose Stuttgart to German bribes... they can bribe it cheaply, and ought to try, at least.
            "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
            "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Here's where Kansas City was:
              Attached Files
              Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
              Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
              Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
              Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrowhawk
                Looks like a good sequence of turns. I am not clear how many cities the American still have left, but if we took Atlanta and destroyed Kansas City, I think they are down to 5? Three of which we have located?
                The Americans have 5 cities left.

As for the choice of Industrialization over Amphibious Warfare, I must say I am dissappointed, not over your choice, but rather that I did not have the opportunity to choose. It may well be that we will not get another opportunity to choose a tech, and that it won't matter if we would have gotten any more tech choices, but I still would have liked to have seen a science poll giving the options to the citizens.
                I was hoping for some guidance on the next tech as well. However in the discussions this time and last, some techs were mentioned, and I could not recall Amphibious Warfare being one of them. As I looked at Industrialization, I chose it for two reasons. First, it leads to Communism and we could *really* use Spies to protect our own cities from Diplomats, and to target City Walls of cities we attack. Second, the Zulus are researching it, and if they happen to get it, we could steal it and be freed to make a different tech choice.

I think there was the perception that we would not be getting a tech this session *or* that we didn't really need any others so it didn't matter.

You mentioned we were able to steal Magnetism from the Germans when we bribed Stutgart, but didn't mention (anywhere that I can see) that the Germans got Magnetism. Was that this sequence of turns or last? And did they or anyone else get any more techs?
                The Germans got Magnetism in the previous session, in 1794, it appears. I don't think they researched it themselves. All the techs that were announced as discovered or traded during the session are in my report. Perhaps the Foreign Minister would like to summarize the techs of the various civs...?

The last question I have (for now) is about the decision to change the tax rate to 80-10-10. Which Minister (if any) gave that suggestion? I thought we were going to try to get our cities celebrating (and maybe now that we have taken Mike's we can more easily) but don't we need a higher luxury rate then 10%? And if we don't truly want any techs now that we have tactics, why didn't we reduce science to 0? (10% in fundamentalism has to be near 0 anyhow) I would have thought that initially (after tactics) we would have a Tax rate of 50-0-50, to get our cities celebrating and then lower luxuries (and increase tax) to a level when they will maintain the celebration.
                No one recommended the 80-10-10 taxrate. I merely put it to that on the *last* turn to maximize our gold supply for use in planning the next session. Bribing Stuttgart really took most of our gold (left us below 1000), and I didn't want people to panic. Plus, I wanted people to see what our pure income-producing potential is at the moment.

I have my doubts about the value of celebrating in Fundie while trying to build a more modern army (Cavalry). To get much benefit, we would have to build a lot of Aqueducts and/or Sewers, and many of our cities cannot support much population growth because of the unimproved terrain (because so many have *no* water around for irrigation).

I'll set the taxrate to whatever division the Citizens desire, but it will need a clearly identified poll to determine that. My own inclination is to live off 50-50-0 for tech and gold and the heck with celebrating, but I'll play whatever cards I'm dealt (through the polls).

Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Now we just need Pharsalos and our set of wonders will be complete.
                  Sun Tzu's is a very good Wonder most of the time. But I don't see the value of it for us. Sure, it makes new units and any unit that wins a fight Vets, but we have barracks, and most of our attacking units die breaking through the City Walls. The last survivor (1 per city) would become Vet (if not already one). That's only 1 Vet unit per 4-6 turns at best. If Sun's was in a fringe city, easier to protect from counter-bribe or attack, sure, I'd say get it. But Pharsalos is in the middle of the Greek civ and I don't think we could hold it for more than a few turns. If we, in the meantime, sold our Barracks for the gold because we had Sun's we would have neither when it was taken back.

As for the 80-10-10 why don't we try to celebrate? 40% luxuries with Mike's Chapel ought to get every city celebrating.
                  The 80-10-10 taxrate was only a last turn change to rebuilt a gold supply; I don't expect to leave it like that (though it is an option). We should have a poll to discuss 80-10-10, 50-50-0, and 60-0-40. As taxrate does not seem to fall completely under any one Minister, I hereby request that the Foreign Minister establish such a poll based on his interest in the matter. Or the Science Minister may do it. Whoever wants to first, I guess.

I really *do* want us on the best taxrate, of course, but the taxrate effects our strategies (grow cities, build units, bribe, research, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man

Be careful not to lose Stuttgart to German bribes... they can bribe it cheaply, and ought to try, at least.
                    I agree completely. I think the very first priority is to get a skirmish line set up east of Stuttgart to ambush German (or other) Dips. I have a thought about bribery-protection... What if we just built a Palace there? Instant bribery protection for 192G! Then they would have to beat down the City Walls and I am confident we can hold it against any military attack.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebear

I agree completely. I think the very first priority is to get a skirmish line set up east of Stuttgart to ambush German (or other) Dips. I have a thought about bribery-protection... What if we just built a Palace there? Instant bribery protection for 192G! Then they would have to beat down the City Walls and I am confident we can hold it against any military attack.

It's a really sick idea...
                      I just it .

Maybe we could put it in a poll, see what our population thinks.

Shade
                      (poll's might come this evening)
                      ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
                      "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
                      shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

We should have a poll to discuss 80-10-10, 50-50-0, and 60-0-40. As taxrate does not seem to fall completely under any one Minister, I hereby request that the Foreign Minister establish such a poll based on his interest in the matter. Or the Science Minister may do it. Whoever wants to first, I guess.
                        I'll do the poll. Thanks cavebear!
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by shade

It's a really sick idea...
                          I just it .
                          Thank you! Anything that gets us to think outside the box can help. I hope you will propose that for "the protection of our valuable cities".

Comment

Our intercity Road/Railroad network:
                            Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a good round of turns
                              Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

Marvellous work cavebear, and well justified in front of the inquisitive masses. +300gpt from Mike's - wow! So this will increase with every new city captured/founded, yes? I'm still in favour of a celebrating Fundy, if nothing else to see what difference it will make.
                                Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Working...
                                X