Bear Greeks a gift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear Greeks a gift?

Since our key civ are the Greeks, with 22 technologies, and ourselves, with 44, it has been suggested that we techgift them to decrease the number of beakers required for our own research.

Given the militaristic bent of the Greeks, I feel this action unwise.

What say the people?
    Yes: cast your bread upon the waters
    22.22%
    No: Don't cast pearls to swine
    44.44%
    I have a better idea, (post below)
    22.22%
    Banana chains!
    11.11%

The poll is expired.

Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

I say we gift like crazy. We'll learn Fundy faster, and then it won't matter that they have our old, secular techs.
    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

We should gift them, but only if the techs we give are not key to their defense or offense (like gunpowder). Don't give them any better governments either.
      "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson
      Former Minister of City Planning of the third Civ2 Democracy Game
      Former Minister of Science of the third Civ2 Democracy Game
      Former Imperial Expansion Minister of the first Civ2 Democracy Game

Comment

CF has my vote. I guess this goes in "I have a better idea"...?
        Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Don't give them any techs( the first they will ask for will be gunpowder(conscription when we have that), and the second choice will most probably also be a millitary tech...) Unless we want to shorten our science rate but undo this by needing to improve our defence against the greek, it could have been a good idea.

Shade
          ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
          "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
          shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

As Obiwan mentioned in his other thread the key-civ will change when we take out Washington.

Considdering this I'm against the gifting of any techs to those backward Greek pests.

Comment

If we *gift* techs to the Greeks, they have no say in what the gifts are. All they can do is refused to meet our Emissary to begin with, or they can refuse to accept a gift (before they find out what it is). It's different than offerring to *trade* techs.

So, we give then Mysticism, and Astronomy, and Theory of Gravity, etc. I don't think it will help them much. Part of the reason our research costs are so high is that the Greeks have so few techs.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
              Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
              Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
              Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Originally posted by cavebear
                If we *gift* techs to the Greeks, they have no say in what the gifts are. All they can do is refused to meet our Emissary to begin with, or they can refuse to accept a gift (before they find out what it is). It's different than offerring to *trade* techs.

So, we give then Mysticism, and Astronomy, and Theory of Gravity, etc. I don't think it will help them much. Part of the reason our research costs are so high is that the Greeks have so few techs.

euhm I though the scenario was a little different:
                WE: want to donate gift
                We: choose Tech
                AI: would you like to teach us "This tech"
                We: YES/No but what about this one/No way at all
                AI: Thank you/ No way in hell/ so stop waisting my time

(with our first answer and the AI's first toghether, the seconds toghether and the thirds toghether)

So what do we do if our option is something like this(eg when we have conscription)

"Would you like to teach us the art of Conscription"
                "No, but are you interested in the art of gunpowder/monotheism"

Shade
                ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
                "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
                shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

I tested in on an old game, and you are completely correct. I don't know why I remembered the procedure wrong. When we did that before, I thought we just named the gift.

I change my vote. I do *not* want to give those militaristic and annoying Greeks any useful military techs!

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                  Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                  Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                  Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

*shrugs* So we give the Greeks Gunpowder. Their muskets won't do much good against the Dragoons and Cavalry we can send their way, later.

Put it another way... by the time we learn Fundy at the rate we're going, they may have Gunpowder/Mono anyway, either by researching it or by allying with the Americans.

And as for the key civ changing when we take Washington... taking Washington will take some time!
                    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

They haven't got very much so far, and they're still Despotic IIRC, so I don;t think we have a lot to fear science-wise from them left to their own devices, unless the Cabinet know something I don't...
                      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Working...
                      X