Establish embassies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Establish embassies?

Note: the above is a multi-option poll, and I screwed up a little. There should be 3 separate polls mentioned - one for each civ. Sorry, but it is quite late here.

We have 4 Diplomats in the field and 3 being produced. One is located far to the south of everyone and is currently too far away to do anything except explore for the time being. Another poll gives you the optionof voting for whether this Diplomat should keep exploring or head to Rome. Two more diplomats are approaching America and a 4th is to the NW of America.

Cities building Diplomats are Rack, which should finish one in 8 turns and is 13 turns from Chicago (American); Havoc which gets a Diplo in around 9 turns and is a further 11 turns from Rome. Pestilence is to the far north and distant from any other civ. It will build a diplomat in 11 turns.

My question is this: we have little knowledge of our neighbours Rome, America and Greece, so should we use some of these diplomats to build embassies?

A ceasefire has been declared with Rome until more of their cities can be found, then the attack will be pressed. An embassy may be of little help here, but if they have one last city when we kill all we can see, an Embassy would help us find it.

We are at peace with America and are continuing to explore its lands, so an Embassy may be a long-term investment for us.

No diplomat is close to Greece, and we know little of them except wea re at war with them.

So, let the peoples' voices be heard - to build embassies with our Diplomats, or to turn their use over to the Minister of WAR to bribe and explore where he chooses?
    Poll1: Embassy with Rome
    11.54%
    Poll1: NO Embassy with Rome
    19.23%
    Poll1: Embassy with America
    34.62%
    Poll1: NO Embassy with America
    0.00%
    Poll1: Embassy with Greece
    30.77%
    Poll1: NO Embassy with Greece
    3.85%

The poll is expired.

Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Not so late here

I see no reason to have an embassy with rome as we will learn all we need by taking all their cities.

I can see some benifit is building embassies with the others as it will be a little longer before we take all of their cities
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

I agree completely with Hydey...
      Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
      Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
      Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
      Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Originally posted by cavebear
        /me falls off his chair

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

How about this one...

/me also completely agrees with Hydey
          "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Might as well go for the troika.

/me agrees with Hydey.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

But wouldn't it be annoying if we killed Rome and the Romans weren't dead due to some backwater city somewhere? Would we explore already covered terrain until we found it/them or just garrison our cities extra special and wait until they show up with something pitiful to attack us with?
              Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Well, that is what Shade and Hydey are suggesting we do (backtrack some previously-explored territory) to assure they haven't done that. That is a reasonable act, given that it has been some time since we personally travelled through those spaces.

I will be quite interested in learning if there is indeed at least one city in the specific area Minister of War Hydey has guaranteed one, based on his prediction. He made a very specific and substantial promise concerning the accuracy of the prediction, and I have some curiousity concerning the basis for it.

I have the oddest feeling that he is going to be correct in his prediction.
                Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner

Comment

I will be quite interested in learning if there is indeed at least one city in the specific area Minister of War Hydey has guaranteed one, based on his prediction. He made a very specific and substantial promise concerning the accuracy of the prediction, and I have some curiousity concerning the basis for it.

I have the oddest feeling that he is going to be correct in his prediction.
                  I wonder if anyone has been doing anything that is against the rules - is black clicking by ministers against the rules?

(Just an idle thought brought on by a cynical streak in my make-up.)

RJM at Sleepers
                  Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Why anyone would be bothered black clicking in a game with virtually no coastline is beyond me.

My hunch is based purely on the number of units coming from that area, the AI is not clever enough to try and out flank us.

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydey
                      My hunch is based purely on the number of units coming from that area, the AI is not clever enough to try and out flank us.
                      my idea, when I was playing, too. 1 or 2 units wouldn't have been a problem, just some troops returning home to get slaughtered, but they just kept comming from that direction.

Originally posted by Cavebear
                      are you running for minister of war next month?
                      (and now cleverly getting rid of all opposition by shocking them to death?)

Shade
                      ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
                      "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
                      shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by shade

my idea, when I was playing, too. 1 or 2 units wouldn't have been a problem, just some troops returning home to get slaughtered, but they just kept comming from that direction.
                        And it could be exploring units being called home due to our attack. The AI loves to use Warriors as explorers. But, by all means, let us be sure. And let's remember to check on the "closest city" of our units closest to the potential Roman cities area.

are you running for minister of war next month?
                        (and now cleverly getting rid of all opposition by shocking them to death?)

Shade
                        It's a possibility...

Comment

A quick note, as I haven't found a good place to put this.
                          For defense against the Greeks. How about bribing diplomats?
                          I mean, if they are sending Knights all the way to our heart, that must be eons away from their palace, and therefore must be a fairly cheap bribe. An easy way to gain units and defend our land.

Comment

Good idea nivs

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

And it could be exploring units being called home due to our attack. The AI loves to use Warriors as explorers.
                              what about phalanxes and legions

good idea nivs, we can use the diplo's as defence and we don't need to build attack units...

Shade
                              ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
                              "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
                              shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

Working...
                              X