Scientific Research Goals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scientific Research Goals

There have been a number of ideas posted as to what research goals our civ should have, but up until now we have been grateful for whatever the hut gods would provide us with. That soon will change, as Invention cannot be far off. Therefore, this poll (and I hope it does not waste anyone's time ) is to establish what our first short term goal shall be (after invention, which is required for all of the options listed). Our science rate is too slow to allow us to not have longer term goals, and we must choose carefully, the children of tomorrow depend upon our decision today.

Explosives - so that we may more quickly build roads between our cities, roads to our enemies, mines for our cities, and irrigate from the vast water to our cities
    Prerequisites that we still need before explosives: Invention, Gunpowder, Metalurgy

Tactics - to provide our Military with the might to trounce our enemies, both with Calvary, and their attack strength, and Alpine Troops, with their mobility on all kinds of terrain (even this god forsaken planet we have been placed upon).
    Prerequisites that we still need before Tactics:
    Invention, Gunpowder, Metallurgy, Leadership, Democracy, Conscription

Fundamentalism - to eliminate the happiness problems we are currently experiencing, to eliminate the need to provide production support to our armies, to eliminate the corruption and waste, to increase our tax base, and unfortunately to decrease our already horid Science Rate
    Prerequisites that we still need before Fundamentalism:
    Invention, Democracy, Conscription

Railroad - to allow our units to move quickly between our cities and fend off attacks from our neighbours, to allow our offensive units to more quickly get to the front lines and aid in the destruction of our enemies
    Prerequisites that we still need before Railroad:
    Invention, Physics, Steam Engine

Though these are the technologies suggested in the last poll, there may be others that will be suggested, please post them here, and post your reasons, for the consideration of all the people of the Apolytonian Imperium.

Respectively submitted,
    /me Science Minister
    Explosives
    66.67%
    Tactics
    16.67%
    Fundamentalism
    8.33%
    Railroad
    0.00%
    I missed the chance to pick in the last poll, and posted my choice below
    0.00%
    We have all the science we need, set science to 0 and lets go attack now
    0.00%
    Goals are for Bananas, lets pick the second choice listed every time
    8.33%

The poll is expired.

"Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

With a map this large, explosives get my vote.

We need to stitch an empire, not isolated citystates. With roads, we can concentrate the vast might of athe Apolytonian Imperium.

My second choice would be gunpowder, on the road to Fundamentalism.

Edit:

We need gunpowder to get Explosives in the first place.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

@ obi

They all seen so far away

The minister of war longs for the day when engineers build railways for shipping our howies to the front
      The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

RR can also be traded/gifted to the AIs, encouraging them to build roads for our military. But engineers to build it should come first (which also delays Darwin's for our enemies).

In order, we need Explosives, RR, and Fundy. A celebrating fundy with science at zero can be a trading machine, bringing us the military techs faster than our current (pathetic) rate.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
          . A celebrating fundy with science at zero can be a trading machine
          I will enjoy seeing this without the building of camels

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

I say explosives then railroad. The map is so huge that our biggest disadvantage is the speed of our units.
            "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson
            Former Minister of City Planning of the third Civ2 Democracy Game
            Former Minister of Science of the third Civ2 Democracy Game
            Former Imperial Expansion Minister of the first Civ2 Democracy Game

Comment

Well, Explosives at least. It would give excess unhappy pop something very useful to do, and the key to happiness for the unhappy unemployed is of course to force them to work on improvement projects!
              Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Well, *that* has me totally confused!
                Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Good. The poor AI will have even less idea what I'm talking about. Misdirection before the invasion - that will work
                  Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

I will enjoy seeing this without the building of camels
                    Tithes will help. We may not be able to get the science bonuses from the caravans, but we can still crank out taxes from a large number of cities coating the map.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

I will still enjoy seeing it

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Fundy all the way.

As it stands, our cities can't grow without happiness from wonders (which we can't build), camels (which we can't harness), or improvements (which we can't afford).

Once we have fundy, we can crank out enough diplomats to steal all the techs we could possibly want.

A large part of our free unit support in Monarchy is being wasted on martial law units. Fundy will free up a lot of shields.

Finally All the other techs will be a LOT more useful once we're in Fundy. Examples:

Explosives will be better in Fundy because we have free unit support for LOTS of engineers, and we will be able to better provide the food because more workers will be working food producing tiles, and not doing elvis impressions to keep the peace.

Tactics will be better in Fundy because we can build 8 Cavalry/Alpines per city with no unit support cost.

Railroad will be better in Fundy because we will be able to provide the engineers/settlers to be build a huge RR network, faster.

Fundy will be better in Fundy because we'll be able to build a lot of cheap Fundamentalist units. Remember, not one of our cities is producing even 10 shields! Unit costs will be lower, and we can rushbuy easier with the 20-shield Fundamentalist as a building block.
                        "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                        "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

After typing all that, I posted my vote and saw that I had vigorously lobbied when the issue was already decided, the other way.

I feel like a California Democrat (or a B.C. Tory).
                          "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                          "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Yet, I still hate being a Fundy government. Maybe it is idealogical. I'd rather go to Communism (even though I don't like that idealogically, either). In practical game terms, Communism is the way for us to go in this game.
                            Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                            Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                            Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                            Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Yet, I still hate being a Fundy government. Maybe it is idealogical.
                              Cavebear:

That's funny. I don't have any ideological problems with a Fundamentalist government. Maybe it's just those corrupt notions of political liberalism causing you to doubt our destiny.

Comment

Working...
                              X