(take two) Poll - Barracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (take two) Poll - Barracks

We currently have 6 Barracks in our cities, mainly in the core cities away from the front (cities that aren't producing units now)

North Devastation and Havoc are the 2 cities closest to the Romans (I say North Devastation because we have TWO cities named Devastation currently ), and would benefit most from Barracks.

However, we also are only 3 techs (Engineering, Invention, Gunpowder) away from all our Barracks being sold anyway. So, I'm torn as to whether it's worth building new ones in our frontier cites.

Let the citizens decide... do we cancel the middle class tax cut in favour of the defense budget?
    Sell the Barracks in the Core cities - they're not building units anyway
    10.26%
    Keep the Barracks in the Core cities - just in case
    17.95%
    Build Barracks near the Romans for our soldiers to learn in
    20.51%
    No more Barracks; our soldiers will become veterans the old fashioned way, by killing people :)
    5.13%
    Build Barracks in our other outlying cities
    12.82%
    Don't build Barracks in the middle of nowhere! :doitnow!:
    15.38%
    I have a better idea, and posted it below
    2.56%
    I have a worse idea, and posted it below so I can be ridiculed
    2.56%
    I have an idea about bananas, but I'm keeping it to myself.
    12.82%

The poll is expired.

"I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

It's going to be a long while before we get Gunpowder. Likely we won't get it during this month's term.

Meanwhile, we *will* be building units in most of those cities sometime before that time and they will start out Veteran. This is way too early to consider selling any of our Barracks. Even our core cities may be subject to a Barb attack.
    Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
    Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
    Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
    Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Re: (take two) Poll - Barracks

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man

North Devastation and Havoc are the 2 cities closest to the Romans (I say North Devastation because we have TWO cities named Devastation currently ), and would benefit most from Barracks.
      Oops, the city nearest the Romans was supposed to be named "Desolation" not "Devastation". That should be corrected on the next turn played.
      Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner

Comment

I'd be interested to hear what the War Minister says... after all, those frontier cities are most important to the army (source of support and fresh units).
        "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
        "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Re: Re: (take two) Poll - Barracks

Originally posted by cavebear

Oops, the city nearest the Romans was supposed to be named "Desolation" not "Devastation". That should be corrected on the next turn played.
          I'll try to remember that .

we should keep our barracks,Barbs still pose a tread(not that they could destroy us,but they could make our lives a living hell)

Shade
          ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
          "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
          shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

STYOM:

No, leave the Barracks in place. They will be sold when we develop Gunpowder anyways, so we should crank a few crusaders before we reach that point.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
              I'd be interested to hear what the War Minister says... after all, those frontier cities are most important to the army (source of support and fresh units).
              I think we should be building units in cities with barracks and building barracks in cities we take or have taken from the AI which are nearer the action.

We could also rushbuy some of those units/barracks with all the gold we have and will get from the AI.

Thankyou for you time
              The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

I don't see any reason to build barracks in the remote cities like Pestilence, However We should make use of the ones we have to help in cranking out more units.
                Wizards sixth rule:
                "The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason."
                Can't keep me down, I will CIV on.

Comment

I see the people want lots of barracks

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

given that we didn't give ourselves the option to build wonders, we need to lean more heavily on the structures we can build. since gunpowder doesn't improve our mounted units, it only makes sense to build more vet mounted units before the barracks get sold. depending on the state of our roads, we should be able to rehome as they move allowing the core cities to build more without production penalties
                    Insert witty phrase here

Comment

It's been a long time since I didn't have Leo's to upgrade my units. I've almost forgotten what it is like. We will have to use our obsolete units as shock troops when attacking cities so as to damage the enemy before spending the more modern units (will relieve cities of support requirements, too). Or we will need to get the older units into cities in order to disband them for shield-credits.

*Hoping that some AI civ builds Leo's in a vulnerable location so we can capture it*

Comment

Originally posted by cavebear
                        *Hoping that some AI civ builds Leo's in a vulnerable location so we can capture it*
                        If we send 25 vet crucs I think all locations will be vulnerable.

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydey

If we send 25 vet crucs I think all locations will be vulnerable.
                          isnt' that the truth...
                          Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Working...
                          X