Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Science Ministers report 1300BC

Dear fellow Apolytonians.

Even without our city's revolting we still have a techrate of 32. Without huts or trade we'll be in despo for another 35 years or so.

I therefore propose the following plan:

Set sience to 0% the turn before Poly is reached, Pop all visible huts asap and pray to the gods to give us either Poly or Mon

This also opens up the possibility of trading it with one of the civs we havent met yet.

Question for cityplanner and defence minister:
    Can we train a couple more Explorer party's?
    They could speed this up enormously, we have a giant map so there must still be a lot of unopened huts
    Yes :b:
    38.46%
    Not bad you forgot something (
    30.77%
    We should research Poly asap :doitnow!:
    7.69%
    I should have voted Banana in the last election :(
    23.08%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by atawa; May 31, 2003, 16:16.

We have 4 huts we can easily pop within only a few turns. It is possible that will force the game to give us either Poly or Monarchy. Doubtless, our Horses will find more, and we might be able to overwhelm the system and get Monarchy in our efforts.

The risk is that accumulating other techs (than Poly or Mon) will push us even further toward long waits between researched techs. I think this is a very serious question for us at this stage of the game. Unfortunate results could put us in a hole very difficult to climb out of, yet we really *need* Monarchy before we can get about the business of conquering the other civs.

So, the question is "how risky do we want to play"? Go the hut route, or consolidate our tech rate and hope for trade. Or we could do both.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
    Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
    Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
    Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Pop all the huts ASAP. If we don't get Poly or Mon from them w/in a few turns, then set science as high as feasible, and build a zillion roads.
      April City Planner in the 3rd Civ2 Democracy Game
      Read Sluggy Freelance! Watch Homestar Runner! Papa Smurf is a Communist!

Comment

Let's just trust to luck and try to get the techs from the huts...
        "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson
        Former Minister of City Planning of the third Civ2 Democracy Game
        Former Minister of Science of the third Civ2 Democracy Game
        Former Imperial Expansion Minister of the first Civ2 Democracy Game

Comment

We already have Science at 60% (top allowed for Despotism). It would be horribly worse at any lower level.

I have most of our cities set to building Settlers (Mostly to give freedom of action/change). But we will have problems in our cities if we have many Settlers. The 1 food and 1 shield are killers for us right now.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
          Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
          Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
          Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Keep popping huts, pop them all
            The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Explorers, as a military unit are at the request of the current military advisor.

What we really need are more roads, to make sure that every city has at least one trade per worker.

It also helps the military to have a connected empire.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

pop the huts, 32 turns is too slow anyways, we need to get it by hut or trade with someone else.

Comment

pop the huts..pray for results...plan the war machine accordingly..odds are we will get mon eventually.......
                  Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Pop the huts until our cities reach a critical mass and can support a decent science rate
                    "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
                    "Every now and again, declare peace. it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

Comment

on reflection, our civilisation is faced with two major problems 1) lack of science and 2) revolting citizens.

I agree with putting the science rate to zero, but also maximising the lux rate to make the people content
                      "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
                      "Every now and again, declare peace. it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

Comment

whether it is science or luxeries doesn't have much effect until roads give the cities more arrows to make use of.

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebear
                          ). But we will have problems in our cities if we have many Settlers. The 1 food and 1 shield are killers for us right now.

we can demand tribute from the AI which can be used to rushbuy things, also popping huts will give some gold.

This helps the shield problem but the food will be a problem until monarchy when irrigation becomes a viable option.

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

I agree with putting the science rate to zero, but also maximising the lux rate to make the people content.
                            It may not make a big difference, but a difference nonetheless.

I would recommend doing this once we discover the next tech since we are quite close to Polytheism.

Running a monarchy on 60/0/40 might even net some celebrations.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Right now even 60% lux doesnt copuse any of our workers to become happy.

I would set it to zero just before we reach Mon, then we have 2 techs that will get us to Mon soon.
                              Be it either through a hut or from trade with a civ we didnt meet before.

Comment

Working...
                              X