What Brought You Here and To [Enter Favorite Civilization Game Here]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
    Whats scary is that those computers are to the Apollo programme computers as computers in ten years are to them.
    I've been reading that one over and over again and I still don't get what you are trying to say
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I understand I think. The Amiga and Atari computers had multi times the computing power of the computers that put men and women into space and to the moon. Today we regard those machines - the Amiga and Atari as - very slow.
      On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Regarding the main question. I first got Civ 1 for the Atari, played a few turns and my atari floppy disc loader began to chew up the discs. end of round 1

When I got the PC I also got Civ2. Then SMAC. Like everyone else I climbed my way up through the levels and played every faction.

At last when I could beat the AI in Sp very regularly I thought I'd investigate the MP option.

So typed in Civilisation and Alpha Centauri and here I am. Discover ideas here that I would never have thought of.

Still loved the old Atari though and there are still games I never finished.
        On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

You wouldn't love it if you had to go back to it. Nostalgia can distort the truth
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I was sent here by altavista.

Comment

What brought me here? Well, it all started about 5-6 long years ago, well before the Ultimate Civ II Site and the First Greek Civ2 Site merged...

(I'm going to make a thread on it, you'll see...)
              Come over to CFC! | My Pre-Apolyton Roots! ;)
              Civfanatics Moderator of the Civ3, Civ4 Sections and the MP Demogame
              Born in TUC2S, Raised in Apolyton, Currently living in CFC. :D

Comment

Found a link on the Civ III Home Site after I got Civ III. I just found my original DOS floppies for Civ I. I still remember how much FUN it was playing with memory managers and configurations to get it to fit in base memory because it could not use extended memory.
                The ways of Man are passing strange, he buys his freedom and he counts his change.
                Then he lets the wind his days arrange and he calls the tide his master.

Comment

Civ II. Came to the Greek Site when the Addicted Site closed it's forums down for remodeling
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Sorry about the poor grammar and syntax, just look at the time I posted it. 3am.
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Wow, never thought that this thread would take off like it did.

I always think that it's interesting to know how everyone ended up where they are, being a relative n00b here.

Comment

Yeah, I've been around since 1996/1997... just that my join date doesn't show it.

*watches Ming mess with my account again*
                        Come over to CFC! | My Pre-Apolyton Roots! ;)
                        Civfanatics Moderator of the Civ3, Civ4 Sections and the MP Demogame
                        Born in TUC2S, Raised in Apolyton, Currently living in CFC. :D

Comment

CivII... a friend of mine had played through and was just trying to kill the Russians in a cold-war-gone-bad scenario where they were both just constantly shooting nukes at each other.

He finally gave up on the game but I was so amazed by the "what if" possibilities that I downloaded a demo... you know, that demo where you can only play so long (in turns) and I would race myself to see how quickly I could get to Gunpowder...

Finally, once CivII MPG came out for the Mac I just had to get it.

Then it was CivII: ToT... and then CtP and SMAC/SMAX.

My cousin actually bought the CtP copy first... but once I got to college I started searching online for a Civ site... and wandered in here finally in 2001... I don't even remember when I became super-active... but once I stumbled into the CtP forums that was it... now I'm a permanent fixture.
                          I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Back in the old days I had a 386. It wasn't very good at running flight simulation or real time games, then one day down at Babbage's I noticed a new game called "Civilization". I fell in love at first sight. Being turn based it had no problems with running on my computer. When I got internet in '95 I discovered by accident this area on Yahoo! devoted to game links, that led to my finding the old Ultimate Civ website. When Dan upgraded the site my computer couldn't handle it, so I wandered away for a year or so, then came back to find that Apolyton had replaced Ultimate Civ.
                            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I think the SMAC forums were the first place I posted..........but being here rekindled my interest in civ2 and that took over. The civ 3 forums took up most of my time whilst I was playing that.

Comment

Bought Smac, and was having trouble mastering the game at the outset. lurked around here since early 2000 for game tips, and registered in 2001.
                                "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X