What Brought You Here and To [Enter Favorite Civilization Game Here]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
    I bought Civ1 in 1992 for the Amiga and it became far and away my favourite game.
    Same here. Was playing it akin to walking through treacle with concrete boots on for you, or was that a phenomenon only I experienced?
    "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

I turned off all 'features' so I only had to change disks every ten minutes or so, rather than every 10 seconds.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Interrupted many a Ming game during various visits to his house, got interested, eventually bought the Mac MGE version of Civ2 about a year ago.

Originally came here to get the MP patch so I could get trounced by my friends online. Now I mostly play SP and in succession games, plus of course the C2DG.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

The OT sucked me in...and o yea, I liked Civ2 too

Comment

I played Civ I way back when. Continued to play it even after the release of Civ II. Really got excited when Sid split to form Firaxis and created SMG! When, AC was being designed I posted on the AC web board and the Firaxis board. They eventually shut that down.

I lurked for a while and then when Civ III was going to be created by Firaxis I joined and posted a ton on this site. Of course, I lost interest in the game after a short time in playing III and so I have moved on to RoN. I would not still be here if it wasn't for the depth of games now covered on Apolyton.
            About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

CtP scenario hunt.

The hunt ended here.
              Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
              "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

I started playing civ longer ago than I care to remember...I also bought civ2 when it came out, and a bit before SMAC came along I started checking up on the game, after all, the age of the internet allowed me to investigate, so I ended up at alpha.owo. I then ended up here by some convoluted method. The rest is history, or too boring to write
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Ming told me to "check it out".
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Started playing Civ in 93 when I was in the Navy on the Amiga-damn slowwwwww.....

Found Apolyton when SMAC came out or it's predecessor, can't remember which.

I just bothered with the forums this year, I think. But I may have an old login somewhere.

ACK!
                    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I bought Civ shortly after it came out, based on a very positive review by Jerry Pournelle in Byte magazine. After I bought Civ II, I was hanging out on usenet swapping strategies, when someone posted a link to Apolyton. I've been amazed at the level of intelligence and humor of the posters here.

Comment

civ1->civ2->SMAC->civ3 (*shudders*)->SMAC

Comment

Though I did play Civ II and SMAC quite a bit before looking for related material on the net, it wasn't until Civ III was released that I decided to search the net for patches, modpacks and the like. After looking through the list of sites on civ3.com, I found CivFanatics. When I saw the sorts of discussions going on there, I decided to sign up and join in.

After posting there for a few months, I had been reading quite a few references to Apolyton. I showed up here, lurked for a little while and finally decided to register and start posting here as well.
                          "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                          "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                          "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Well, I don't excactly remember when I started visiting Apolyton but it was sometime in 2001, because Civ 3's release was imminent and I was looking on the net for Info. Of course, I found many sites about Civilization at that time but the fact that Markos is a countryman of mine made me look at this site more than the others. The rest is history as they say!

So long....
                            Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
                            Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
                            Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

To Apolyton: Thank god for Google.

To CtP: Thank god for Bargain Bins.

Comment

hi ,

well civ used to be the only game inwhere you could nuke some-one , .........héhéh ( héy what did you expect ) , ...

no for real ; its a one in its kind , when it came out at last a game where you could do something , a game where you decided the course of your civ , okay it can use trainloads of improvements , even today , but its still the best game ever !

have a nice "civ" day
                                - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                                - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                                WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Working...
                                X