What Brought You Here and To [Enter Favorite Civilization Game Here]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tuberski
    Started playing Civ in 93 when I was in the Navy on the Amiga-damn slowwwwww.....
    Yes, similar time for me, I used to play it on an old Atari ST, damn was it slow, and you had to do all that floppy disk swapping It is amazing what luxury the PC version seemed...
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

At least with my Tandy 1000 I had a harddrive. But at 3mhz, it took forever for it to generate a world. With no mouse, moving and clicking on things were a true joy as well.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

it took forever for it to generate a world

My version only generated about 4 different worlds. Kind of annoying, but by no means the most annoying feature of trying to play Civ1 on such a museum piece as the Amiga.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Playing on the Civ 1 on the Amiga, it makes me laugh when people complain about how slow Civ 3 is.

ACK!
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I first registered here in April of 1999. Shortly after SMAC came out. I first went to the offical alpha.owo boards that was listed in the manual I think. And people over there mentioned Apolyton. they said Apolyton was a bunch of losers. But I came anyways .

Comment

Mine would routinely crash trying to generate a new world, or if it didn't, it would go throught the entire introductory sequence and then have a flashing message "Generating World" for an additional 15 minutes.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

What brough me here?

Wind.
                (+1)

Comment

Don't eat so many baked beans.

Comment

Civ I on my old computer took a good half hour to generate a new world. Many times I would start a game and save it and then play that save a couple different times. It wasn't ideal as you already knew what the map would look like and where everyone was but it saved a lot of time waiting for a new world to generate when you just wanted to play some civ.
                    About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Yes, the ST must have had some pre-generated maps in there. After a while of playing civ I suddenly realised, "Hey, I've played this map before!"...and hell even if you picked a different map type, it would just add and replace bits of land or change terrain types
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                        Mine would routinely crash trying to generate a new world, or if it didn't, it would go throught the entire introductory sequence and then have a flashing message "Generating World" for an additional 15 minutes.
                        I could never skip the intro, it would have been so annoying if I wasn't used to Amstrad cassette games that took upto 30 minutes to load.

The music was good though.

Comment

On the ST I could skip most of the intro but it would require precision timing and knowing exactly when to 'click'
                          Speaking of Erith:

Comment

God, weren't old computers awful when you think about it and get past that fake veneer of nostalgia...
                            Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Whats scary is that those computers are to the Apollo programme computers as computers in ten years are to them.

Comment

Prior to coming here, I had played civ, col and civ2, and was just beginning on C:CtP. I was kind of getting stuck in my games and ended up searching the web for strategies, which brought me to Apolyton's strategy pages. After reading them for a few weeks(?), someone posted that Apolyton also had forums. I visited out of curiosity, and have been here ever since.
                                PHOENIXCAGER
                                The Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Working...
                                X