Apolyton Hall of Fame: August 2002

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DarkCloud

Look at the members. DanQ, Imran, Jay Bee, MarkG, MtG, Ming, Giant Squid, SnowFire, yin26, Xin Yu... Good civvers all! And well known by the civ-community! And those are just the ones I know about!

As for ACers- Velociryx!

How can you deny that at least 11 out of the 37 are hard-core civ posters?
    Make that at least 12 out of 37. I've been here since the beginning and most of my posts have been in the on-topic sections. I still play MP games twice a week.

I also see Adam Smith and AH who are also well known in the MP community and have been here since the beginning and have contributed to the community.

If someone feels that on-topic people aren't represented they're wrong. In some of the past voting, people have posted links to the thread in on-topic areas and others added their own editorial comments. As in any election/popularity contest, a little campaigning is never a bad idea.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
      The OTF is a pretty limited number of people known...

What most people forget is that the majority of OT posters are gamers. Many of which were VERY active posters on topic in the past, and as they got bored with the aging games, migrated to the OT to stay active in a community that they had joined.

But I do agree that some of the real old timers who helped make this site what it is are being ignored.

A Vet committee sound's like a great idea.
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It the Apolyton Hall of Fame just another golden apple of discord tossed into the community?
        Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
        Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
        "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
        From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Ming - while many forget it, I no longer do . Sure, they're gamers, but if you talk retired gamers, they don't know the guys from, for instance, Civ 3 section. Let's face it, Civ 3 is a current game and an active section. People like Catt, Aeson or Theseus, to name a few, have many posts I really enjoy reading, and I believe they are worth getting their names in, yet they don't.

Thus, the Hall of Fame mostly represents the retired gamer community - fine as it is, I belive on-topic sections, like CtP, need more representation.
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

People like Catt, Aeson or Theseus, to name a few, have many posts I really enjoy reading, and I believe they are worth getting their names in,
            I don't... too new, and haven't done enough for the community yet.

(This does not mean that I agree that everybody currently in the HOF deserves it either)

Thus, the Hall of Fame mostly represents the retired gamer community

No... it represents a mix of people who have given to the community, and those that have won a popularity contest That's the way it's always going to be when you put something to a vote.
            Keep on Civin'

Comment

Of course, but it was the off-topic popularity contest. It's not fair thus, on-topicers don't get a chance to vote and get a decreased chance to get voted. If Hall of Fame gets posted everywhere, it's fair.

Re: Catt and others. It's a double edged sword, what you define as a contribution to the community. They might be new, but I think that dozens of excellent strategy posts can easily be called a contribution - they help all the civ 3 players. Or, for instance, myself, I invented the PBEM Ratings less than a month after jonining, and got them running two months after joining... newbie, yes, but sort of a contribution. Some of the people who are around for 2 years contribute much less than some of those around for half a year.

Comment

It's not fair thus, on-topicers don't get a chance to vote
                Whine... Whine... Whine...

First, nothing says they can't vote... And if you will note, the "experienced" On Topic posters know about it and do vote. Just because somebody posts in the OTF doesn't mean they aren't a on topic poster.

But I would agree (and have ok'ed it) that Threads about it can be put in multiple forums... I even said he could do it in more forums than you suggested... so stop your whining...
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

Whining stopped . Still I want to say, though, that many on-topicers don't know OTF, and that, I'm gonna shut up. And yes, I can see now why it should be posted in many forums.

Comment

I hate you all.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Or, for instance, myself, I invented the PBEM Ratings less than a month after jonining, and got them running two months after joining... newbie, yes, but sort of a contribution. Some of the people who are around for 2 years contribute much less than some of those around for half a year.
                      Gee, sounds a little like campaigning. Now you're getting the idea.

Yes, being visible and popular are a considerable advantage.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Apocalypse is right. MikeH was with BAC when it was consumed by Apolyton. He was the Science Editor iirc.
                        To The Hijack Police: I don't know what you are talking about. I didn't do it. I wasn't there. I don't even own a computer.

Comment

Hi Ming.
                          Hi rah.
                          I guess my password still works.
                          Last edited by jsorense; August 27, 2002, 12:59.
                          To The Hijack Police: I don't know what you are talking about. I didn't do it. I wasn't there. I don't even own a computer.

Comment

Hey rah, I couldn't go without a bit of it, could I?

Comment

Yes, it's my experience that it works better than blatant sucking up.

Rich
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Not only your experience it is .

Comment

Working...
                                X