Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More pop-ups, zero banners. Would you do it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My take is that I'd probably go for the pop-ups if they were as infrequent as Mark says. Not that I mind the banners, but every little bit of bandwith counts when your on a measly little 10MB/s link. I generally agree that pop-ups are the devils own otherwise.

Now, why do I question Mark's frequency estimation? Because even though I spend an inordinate amount of time on Poly, there's no way I spend 12 h/day... and I get 8-10 pop's a day. No, not from following links - most often from loading the main forum list. Often two in a row, in fact. Maybe it's something with my cookies, but there it is. Twice this much would be... annoying.

I wish there was a way to pay you guys a fee for an entirely ad free style instead. I'd go for it in a eyeblink so long as it was even remotely reasonable.
    "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
    "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Victor,

Amazon pays a 5% commission
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

How about an Advertisement Hell style, which brings up pop-ups constantly (which bring in revenues just by popping up, right?). People can switch to this style while away from their PC...
        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

OK, so if I were to buy a computer game, would you guys make more money off of somewhere else, or? (This is still in the hypothetical stages right now, since I'm in England for 5 more weeks, but I'd like to have a game waiting for me when I get back (so I will buy maybe a week or two before I return).)
          "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
          -Joan Robinson

Comment

Markos:

Weeellll ... since this is 'Poly and I consider a lot of folks here to be friendly acquaintances to one degree or another (and depending on the thread ), I'd be willing to *try* an approach that uses a pop-up ad every six hours or so of surfing time here.

Gatekeeper
            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
              OK, so if I were to buy a computer game, would you guys make more money off of somewhere else, or?
              the best commission(10%) we get from chips&bits
              to have the sale referred to us, visit the site from on the banners with the chips&bits logo
              (or just click on this <a href=http://www.chipsbits.com/cgi-bin/order.cbi_home?source=84161&newpage=infopages/NEVEN.IR.html>Neverwinter Nights</a> link)

thanks!

Comment

Mark,

Does the site get revenue simply for the pop up appearing on my screen, or do I need to click on it?

I'm sure the banner only yields revenue when I click on it. Am I right?
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Excellent... when I return to the US, 'Poly will get some money for my gaming habit.
                  "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                  -Joan Robinson

Comment

pop-ups pay just for being viewed. no need to click

thanks

Comment

Go for pop ups. Pay for the server. I can close them, so can everybody else.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

BTW. I don't give a darn about the banners either (I seldom notice them, except for that rather attractive bird). Keep them for all I care.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by James Adams
                          I would like a system of having a style with no pop-ups and banners, like it is now!
                          I do not like, infact I hate pop-ups, so just have to have banners, as i would like no adverts, but as this is a commerce site it needs it, so I do not want change!
                          Play the Demo Games!!
                          Running for Foreign Minister in the 3rd Civ2 Single Human Play game!!
                          Vote for the experience, Vote for me!!

Comment

I would certainly not like to see banners, but we must all appreciate that commercial viability is a real factor for this superb site - needs must when the devil drives

SG[1]
                            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

The Light-Ultra Special style is now availiable. You can test it out by making the choice from the drop-down menu on the main forum page

layout change are happening at the time. there will be choices for all color themes and for the default type

Comment

I would try it but if they start popping up with every bloody page I load then.....................

I might tell you to get stuffed.
                                The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Working...
                                X