Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More pop-ups, zero banners. Would you do it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More pop-ups, zero banners. Would you do it?

is anyone interested in a set of "ultra special" styles which would have more pop-ups and zero other banners(top and bottom)?

i know i am, but i dont want to do things here just for myself

currently special styles give a single pop-up every 12 hours(basically 1 per a day if you visit once per day). More info on the special style is here
    Yes
    6.98%
    No
    67.44%
    I would try it
    18.60%
    I'd like to have it as possible option in the future
    2.33%
    Dont know/Dont care
    4.65%
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

I would like a system of having a style with no pop-ups and banners, like it is now!
    Play the Demo Games!!
    Running for Foreign Minister in the 3rd Civ2 Single Human Play game!!
    Vote for the experience, Vote for me!!

Comment

please explain yourself

thank you

Comment

I hate pop-ups. I would prefer no ads at all, but if I have to see ads I prefer banners.

Comment

I know pop-ups are better for the site because they bring in more money, but I absolutely despise pop-ups. I would be far, far more interested in a style with 0 pop-ups and more banners... (that includes pop-ups from going to external links or d/l-ing files)
          Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

I hate popups. Too intrusive. Very annoying. I won't click them, on principle -- yes, even if they advertise something I have a strong interest in.

MarkG, I don't remember if the newsletter is sponsored. My experience (different industry) is that targeted email vehicles have among the best click-through rates and are worth a premium price.

This is true, perhaps even moreso, for text-only formats like 'Poly's. The audience is subscribed and reads it when they have time. In other words, they have agreed to view the content. Text ads within text newsletters are less intrusive, and "feel" more like content. They also gain credibility as being deeply supportive of the site (where banners and popups inspire a much more cynical reaction).

It may be an extra revenue stream worth exploring.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

thanks for the note jrabbit

Comment

Banners are OK, Pop-ups are abominations.

They are horrible when your trying to navigate, eating resources and attempting redirects.

I voted a big no to them.
                I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Pop-ups are annoying, but I might give the style a try, given that those two popups don't appear again for 6 hours, at least. I'm usually online more than that, but 2 popup sightings aren't too bad. At least I would give it a try.

Though banners aren't bad, I can't see what's wrong with them. They sit in the corner, doing nothing, why not?
                  Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                  I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Good heavens, no! Pop-ups are the devil's own work.
                    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                    -Joan Robinson

Comment

two popups don't appear again for 6 hours
                      it wouldnt be two pop-ups together, but one (1) more frequent(6 hours instead of 12)

They sit in the corner, doing nothing, why not?
                      faster loading, more "space" on the page(i personally cant stand the non-special styles now). and you could be offended by our "god bless apolyton" ads

Comment

i mean you browse apolyton for what, 15 hours per day? you'd just get 2 pop-ups

Comment

2 popups per day is 3 too many
                          "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                          -Joan Robinson

Comment

I don't mind banners or even pop-ups/unders/interstitials.. when used with taste as Markos is doing here but generally speaking I do object to the tracking done on web ads. So I'll continue to block them where I can. Give me a paypal link and your amazon shopping link, I'll use them.

edit
                            Last edited by cthon; July 3, 2002, 13:44.

Comment

Originally posted by cthon
                              So I'll continue to block them where I can.
                              i'll ignore the comment
                              Give me a paypal link
                              thanks, we dont accept donations
                              and your amazon shopping link, I'll use them.
                              thanks again, look at the bottom of the forum pages

Comment

Working...
                              X