No announcement yet.

Civfanatics forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whenever I'm online, I first check Civfanatics' news items. Then I start browsing the Apolyton forums ... and usually stay there.
    "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

I agree with Martin, CFC is very much inferior to Apolyton because they don't don't cover the CtP series among other games (one lousy forum with only 'CtP s*cks!' posts doesn't count). I like their History forum though, that's something Apolyton could use as well.

Originally posted by MarkG
      i can safely say though that Locutus will be a database manager before the end of this quarter
      Woohoo! :party: (one other advantage CFC has over Apolyton: a :party: smily )
      That's great news, Markos, having the databases open for additions again will be a very good development for the CtP1/2 community
      I'd better keep my agenda empty then, there are a LOT of files that need to be added...

Well, I'm off now. Gotta go calculate when end of this quarter will be
      Last edited by Locutus; April 3, 2002, 15:19.
      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

i like it here better. i find these forums to be comfortable and familiar (no doubt a result of the time i spend here), besides CFC's Civ2 MP community seems to be all PBEM types since the ladder has fallen. also they don't have anything for me that 'Poly doesn't.

I Apolyton
        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Originally posted by ColdWizard
          i like it here better. i find these forums to be comfortable and familiar

I Apolyton
          Yes... I LOve You All because You are my true family!
          Traigo sueños, tristezas, alegrías, mansedumbres, democracias quebradas como cántaros,
          religiones mohosas hasta el alma...

Comment

To be honest I've only visited CF once.

I spend too much time here, so am not going to bother over there.

Why don't the two sites merge. - That way we'd have vibrant forums and good information. Along with a reliable server
            Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
            Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
              and above all only apolyton has speer
              You´re right Markos, this is definately a strong point of the CivFanatics website
              Blah

Comment

I think the posters here at Apolyton are more mature.
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Tuomerehu

Same thing, 1100+ there vs. something under 11 here.

But to be truthful, I think GC Forums is both of ours fav. site.
                  1100+?! Wow.
                  Well, being mod there I have to spam...er, be there quite a bit, so it cuts into my CFC time.

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                  I think the posters here at Apolyton are more mature.
                  Really?

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse at CFC a long time ago...
                  CFC is for kids

Oh yeah, I remember now.
                  You're a man- you can be replaced.

Comment

Finally a thread about CivFanatics on Poly!!! We have had a few threads about Poly over at CFC.

The question "which forum is better" is hard to answer, mainly because it depends on the amount of time you spend on each site. If you spend lots of time on CivFanatics and little time on Apolyton, chance is you'll have a biased view of Apolyton because you really don't know much about the forum and its posters, and vice versa. It's like saying you hate real time startegy games even though you have never given it a chance and automatically assumed you only like turn based games; you might actually find that you like both types of games. It requires an open mind for a person to enjoy both forums. Unfortunately it's hard to keep an open mind because posters tend to feel a sense of loyalty/attachment to the forum they post most often on.

I agree with Martin, CFC is very much inferior to Apolyton because they don't don't cover the CtP series among other games (one lousy forum with only 'CtP s*cks!' posts doesn't count). I like their History forum though, that's something Apolyton could use as well.
                    We don't cover the CTP series because I don't play CTP and don't think I can do a good job covering a game I don't play. Same thing for Alpha Centauri. The SMAC box is still sitting on the shelf....unopened. (I like to collect games ). Right now I am happy to just focus on the Civilzation series....
                    Thunderfall
                    Civilization Fanatics' Center
                    http://www.civfanatics.com

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderfall
                      It's like saying you hate real time startegy games even though you have never given it a chance and automatically assumed you only like turn based games; you might actually find that you like both types of games. It requires an open mind for a person to enjoy both forums. Unfortunately it's hard to keep an open mind because posters tend to feel a sense of loyalty/attachment to the forum they post most often on.
                      I don't like RTS. I know I don't like RTS. I don't have to try RTS to know that I don't like it. Tofu too. Don't have to try it to know I don't like it. It has a stupid name. How the heck am I ever going to like it? And if I did, I'd never admit I liked it. It has a stupid name! My mind is like a closed book, and I like it that way!

OTOH. You have a fine forum. It doesn't have a stupid name and it doesn't have a stupid concept like *strategy* on the clock. So I tried it. It didn't taste bad. Actually, I quite liked it. But I only have room for one favorite dish and your on it.

PS. Yes I actually inanely clicked away a few hours before I became thoroughly disgusted with the entire concept of RT*Strategy*.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by steelehc
                        This is the kind of thing that should be in the ACS Communist forum, or maybe the off-topic. It'll get moved soon enough, though.

I like apolyton, and I don't like Civfantics.

Steele
                        Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                        You certainly mean the Community forum... but Communist forum is an awesome name either .
                        Cool! That gives me an idea! How about the Democracy forum--an unmoderated forum where people can say whatever the he** they want!

Just kidding, Ming.
                        Last edited by Mr. Nice Guy; April 4, 2002, 01:12.
                        HAVE A DAY.
                        <--- Quote by Former U.S. President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt
                        "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
                        For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderfall
                          We don't cover the CTP series because I don't play CTP and don't think I can do a good job covering a game I don't play. Same thing for Alpha Centauri. The SMAC box is still sitting on the shelf....unopened. (I like to collect games ). Right now I am happy to just focus on the Civilzation series....
                          Actual to play a game is not a requirement to cover it. I don't think that Markos and Dan play all the games that Apolyton covers. You know there is a reason for database mangers. At least your page needs a CTP1/2 database to turn it into a real civ page. To be honest Civ3 offers less than CTP1 and even in some areas than Civ2. So CTP2 is the way to go for me and not a game that you could call "Civ2.5" for various reasons. It is sad that I can find some reasons to call it Civ2.5. One of them is that CTP1 was and is for me Civ3, so your page doesn't cover the whole Civ series in my opinion, just Sid's Civs. There is something missing. For the forums it doesn't make sense to splitt the CTP1/2 forum as there are to few posts, but it is true that you can find there some people who are indeed searching for some help there.

By the way, Poly is better if you are using Netscape 4.5 and CivFanatics is better if you are using Opera.

-Martin
                          Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
                            To be honest Civ3 offers less than CTP1 and even in some areas than Civ2.
                            Correction: in most areas
                            No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

At CFC my user id is 14 and i have a postcount of 30
                              Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

The real reason I prefer CFC: Altough spamming (j/k) in Suomithread is fun,
                                posts in OT doesn't bigger your postcount. So spamming isn't funny.

Comment

Working...
                                X