No announcement yet.

Civfanatics forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I prefer Apolyton, mainly because the average age of posters seems to be higher here. That said, CFC is a fine site, and Thunderfall does a good job with adding new files
    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Noooooo! Apolyton is better! Here's my reasons:

a) Ming is a moderator and he's a friend of mine
      b) Apolyton has my interview (including my photo!)
      c) I have a lot of fans here
      d) The color of Apolyton is grey
      e) Mark G and Dan Q have single letters as their last names
      f) I can never figure out the meaning of the word 'Apolyton'
      g) Apolyton can be shortened to 'Poly'

Comment

I'm already addicted to apolyton, I don't need another civ site sucking up my time...

Comment

Personally I prefer Civ fanatics fro more Sci Fi oriented MODS and files, at least it used to tbe that way for Civ 2. Civ 3 so far seems more balanced between the two forums
          I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

Originally posted by Xin Yu
            The color of Apolyton is grey.
            Does this mean you think the South will rise again?

CF seems to be a bit more vibrant in some areas like strategy and such for Civ3. Maybe it's because they don't have the baggage that Poly is carrying around.

If you have a lot of die hard civers from aeons ago hanging about and a new Civ is released in a rushed fashion you just might have a high level of noise that discourages constructive comment.

Then if you allow free debate and do nothing to curb the noise you will have an even lower signal to noise ratio as interested people go away to avoid the repetitious flame threads while the die hards don't go anywhere, they just keep on flaming under the lame impression that they are seriously effecting the game's sales.

So a site like CF might have more people genuinely interested in Civ3 checking it out since that's where more genuine comment can be found and less noise.

Me? I like the rough and tumble of Poly. But I'm strange by many standards. Post counts? Who cares? Poly, lots. CF 0. I do lurk from time to time though. Like I said, more better info.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
              Civfanatics NEWS seems much more prolific than here at Apolyton.
              should i remind the number of real, important, big exclusives that we have had over the years? naaaah.....
              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Both sites are great
                Blah

Comment

Both sites are great. Each has it's own strengths.

For example, I find that most of the game winning strategies come from this site. Civfanatics is real good as a place to get files, esp. for that hard to find Civ ToT. Apolyton does indeed have a more international feel to it and their OT forum is much better than Civfanatics. Civfanatics, however IMO, has a better main page layout and yes the news get's there first. Unfair given the time zones differences but any true civer want's to know now and it doesn't matter where the news comes from. As long as it's reliable.

I'm registered over there too, but under a different "handle".
                  signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich
                    Both sites are great. Each has it's own strengths.
                    Indeed.

Originally posted by Haupt. Dietrich Civfanatics, however IMO, has a better main page layout
                    Don't forget that we have two homepage layouts to choose from

----------------
                    Dan; Apolyton CS
                    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                      should i remind the number of real, important, big exclusives that we have had over the years? naaaah.....
                      I even recall some malcontent complaining about there being too many little news items, to which you sarcasticly replied:

"I guess its time to rediscover the lost art of non updating"

That line still cracks me up.
                      Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                      Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                      "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                      From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
                        I even recall some malcontent complaining about there being too many little news items, to which you sarcasticly replied:

"I guess its time to rediscover the lost art of non updating"

That line still cracks me up.
                        i have my moments

Comment

and above all only apolyton has speer

Comment

@ 'Apolyton Communist Forum'

Comment

Actual I prefer, because you have here own forums for CTP1 and CTP2 instead of a mixed CTP1/2 forum, than the CTP community is larger here. And you have here a file database for CTP2 and for CTP1 as well. If you forget the art of non updating and would engage Locutus as CTP2 database manager (he is still ready for this job) than Apolyton could be really the Great Civ side as it could be. Look on the page Markos you didn't updated the CTP2 database since October the second, at least you could update the number of downloads.

-Martin
                              Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

there are more serious issues that prevent some things to move on.
                                i can safely say though that Locutus will be a database manager before the end of this quarter
                                Last edited by MarkG; April 3, 2002, 14:37.

Comment

Working...
                                X