Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So how do you get your avatar the right size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So how do you get your avatar the right size?

Yes this is one reason I'm using such a generic avatar. Even this one I had trouble reducing. And I can't remember exactly how I did it.

What are some methods of reducing the size? And what format do you guys use? all I have to work with is photodeluxe. although I also have microsoft paintbush.

There are two popular image formats: GIF (Graphics Interchange Format) and JPEG (Joint Photograhic Experts Group), although you really should use PNG (Portable Network Graphics) instead of GIF, since GIF uses a patented compression algorithm which is owned by Unisys.

At any rate GIF allows you to have transparent backgrounds while JPEG doesn't, but JPEG allows true colour but GIF only 256 colours. JPEG is much better for things such as photographs while GIF for charts, etc.

To get an avatar of the right size is easy, you start out with the right size. When you start creating your avatar use a 64x64 canvas so you don't have to shrink it down.

Of course, if you are using an existing photograph or image, you can always attach it here and ask for help
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I'm not much of an artist. I just take an existing photograph and modify it to my liking

how do you tell how wide and long it is?

Comment

If you are using a photo you probably want to stick with the JPEG format. As for size the program you use should tell you. I don't use neither of the program you mentioned so I can't give you specific help. However I can help you shrink the image after you are done modifying.
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
          although you really should use PNG (Portable Network Graphics) instead of GIF, since GIF uses a patented compression algorithm which is owned by Unisys.
          So sue me Do they seriously expect me to pay them for putting a picture up?
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Via trial and error

Comment

I use Microsoft Paint in order to modify my Avatars to the correct size. First thing to do is cut out the part of the picture that you want to use as an Avatar (make the cut-out as square as possible). Move the cut-out to the top-left of the picture frame. Now resize the picture frame by dragging the frame's edges so that they're aligned with the square that you cut out; this will automatically crop the rest of the picture, so now all you have is a square with your future Avatar in it. Now go to Image, Attributes; the program will say what the dimensions of your picture are. If they're less than or equal to 64 pixels then you're done. Otherwise, take a calculator, and apply the formula: 64 / (largest dimension of your picture) * 100. Now go to Image, Stretch/Skew, and put that number in both the Horizontal and Vertical boxes. That should shrink your picture down to 64x64 pixels (check Image, Properties again to make sure), and voila, you can now upload your Avatar.
              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I've got Micro$crap photodraw here, so I can resize whatever picture you want me to, if you post it.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I did mine almost exactly the same as technophile did.
                  Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

It works, but only for JPEG and non-transparent GIF images. Transparent ones are a pain and you never want to shrink or enlarge them.

PH,

Maybe they'd seize your computer

Comment

thanks for the tips

I won't get a chance to change it till next week

Comment

UR, they'd have to find me first and then come and get it off me. I'd like to see them try!

Resizing is easy enough, just make it 64x64. But just one thing to note, try and set up your invisible background before resizing, otherwise in reduction the background and object itself get blended in to maintain the appearance when reduced. It will not do this with a transparent background (unless you have a fancy package like Photoshop (ah, dreams, if only ) and can specify these things)...
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I still haven't decided what I want to do for my avatar.

I'll stick with this for now.

Comment

I use a gif animator, here is a link to a site with avitars and you can resize them online to suit your needs.

“The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
                            Or do we?

Comment

PH,

The best way to deal with transparent GIF files is not to resize them. Otherwise there will be problems with blending, and you need to go in there with a microscope and fix them pixel by pixel. A real pain in the neck.

Even with PhotoShop you have to do the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X