Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So how do you get your avatar the right size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exile,
    I finally got around to editing this image. I rotated it 15 degrees as I said, and I also did a few color corrections and stuff. I can also do lighting effects (like a sunburst coming through the window) and stuff like that if you want. I hope you like it.

Laszlo
    Attached Files

Comment

WOW!

That looks great, Laszlo. But I'm still trying to get the Jesus-sunburst one that Mercator made to work for me. It would be cool, however, to have access to them both. That way I could switch out the two . . .

Depending on how holy I felt at the time.

Exile
      Lost in America.
      "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
      "or a very good liar." --Stefu
      "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

Re: WOW!

Originally posted by Exile
        That looks great, Laszlo. But I'm still trying to get the Jesus-sunburst one that Mercator made to work for me. It would be cool, however, to have access to them both. That way I could switch out the two . . .

Depending on how holy I felt at the time.

Exile
        Here, Exile. I'll put up the original size so that Mercator or anyone else can have a go at it. My computer is currently really screwed up and it won't allow my graphics program to save! I had to paste it into MS Paint to save it (so next time the jpg compression should be better looking).

Well, here's the image...

wait, no!! Now even Paint won't save! I'll just post the bitmap even though it will put a dent in the download time. Here you go...
        Attached Files

Comment

Well, I have to go now before my dad wakes up and finds I've been up all night. Hopefully today I'll restart my computer and all my computer problems will disappear. Then I'll do the sunburst and the better-looking jpeg save if someone hasn't already. There's also an option to do a light spotlight on your face if that's what you want.

Later,
          Laszlo

Comment

Here´s the full URL to the first "Jesus picture":
            http://apolyton.net/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=429808

And just to be complete, go to the control panel > edit options > change avatar and then paste/type the URL into one of the two text boxes (it actually doesn´t matter which one)

I believe this URL will get you directly to the change avatar page:
            http://apolyton.net/forums/member.php?s=&action=editavatar

Oh, and Laszlo, I don´t have any image editing software on the "Internet PC" and I´ll be away for a couple of days, so maybe someone else can do the job...
            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Acid test.

Testing. It seems to work because I just saw it in the side of a prior post.

Here goes.

Exile

edit; HOORAY!!!! It WORKS!!

Thank you Mercator and Laszlo for all your invaluable assistance.

It's hilarious!
              Lost in America.

Comment

Exile, you look good in your new avatar. Well, I guess my sunburst thing is a bit different than Mercator's. But here's the one with the sunburst through the window. You can keep it in reserve if you don't want to change it.

PS - Mercator, could you tell me how you managed that halo effect?
                Attached Files

Comment

Laszlo, that is COOL!

I really like that effect! I want to keep all three of 'em.

Now, if I could just figure out how to do that.

Mercator can you tell me how I can save all three of the images that I like so that I can switch 'em out if I want to?

Exile
                  Lost in America.

Comment

Originally posted by Laszlo
                    PS - Mercator, could you tell me how you managed that halo effect?
                    Well, I guess you would have to have the tilt for the halo effect. Otherwise the tilted sides of the original would cut across the corners. That's why I only did 15 degrees of change, because more would have caused the image to be smaller.

And Exile, I'm one fifth of the way towards posting my own avatar (100th post!), but it explains it all in the Edit Options area of your Apolyton Control Panel. You just click, Change Avatar, then where it says "You can upload an avatar from your computer:" you click Browse and find the downloaded picture.

To keep all three, right-click them and select "Save File As...", then navigate to a folder you can remember. You might even create an Apolyton folder for this sole purpose. Then you can always upload your switch with the Browse button in your Apolyton Control Panel.

Good luck,
                    Laszlo

Comment

Right you are!

Got 'em. All three of 'em.

Thanks Mercator and Laszlo for all the help.

The new avatars look COOL!

Exile
                      Lost in America.

Comment

But since now it is your avatar I demand a very conspicuous (c) by Mercator over it!!
                        I´m glad you like them.

Oh, and Laszlo, to do the effect:
                        1. I first "cut out" Exile from the background (like Hueij did) and copied him to a new layer (:hmm: that sounds very paranormal when you think about Exile looking like Jesus).
                        2. I then created the halo as a separate layer in between the background and foreground... Voila
                        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

How about this?

Mercator and Laszlo; how about if I put a little line down in my sig that gives credit to you creative guys?

Would that make ya happy?

Exile
                          Lost in America.

Comment

Alright, Exile. I never went for those copyright symbols anyway. Here's just a funny quote I saw -

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.
                            - Douglas Adams

Hmm. Maybe I should put up a signature quote of my own. And I'm glad that you like them.

And thanks Mercator (Gerardus?) for the method. I haven't done anything with layers yet, though I should learn more about it if I want to do anything. I want to try some CG anime stuff.

Comment

NOOO! Get rid of that credit line right now! I had fun making the avatars and I´m happy you like ´em, that´s all the credit I need.

Originally posted by Laszlo
                              And thanks Mercator (Gerardus?) for the method. I haven't done anything with layers yet, though I should learn more about it if I want to do anything. I want to try some CG anime stuff.
                              Well, I´m nowhere near being a true graphical artist, I´m just using PSP for years now, so I´m gradually getting used to some of its more complex things. Adjusting existing images, combining them, adding effects, using fancy fonts etc. is just about as far as my knowledge goes. Otherwise I would be able to make Civ2 graphics...

And yes it´s Gerardus Mercator. But in real life it´s just Jorrit.

Comment

Working...
                              X