Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So how do you get your avatar the right size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I mean is UR if you are dealing with a larger picture and need to reduce it. As there is nothing like alpha blending in GIFs, if the original image consists of discrete lines and colours, they would be blended if reduced. If you set the background colour first, there will be no blending with the background colour so you can go straight on and use the GIF.
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

testing avatar photo

Does it work?

edit; NO. Can someone offer some help here?
      Lost in America.
      "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
      "or a very good liar." --Stefu
      "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

Re: testing avatar photo

Originally posted by Exile
        Does it work?

edit; NO. Can someone offer some help here?
        Well, we don't know until you tell what you want Just attach the picture you want avatarised...
        Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
        And notifying the next of kin
        Once again...

Comment

ok

Here it is. It's a jpg and I would like to see it at the side over there as an avatar, not a big picture in the post itself. The task has proven to difficult for me, apparently.
          Attached Files
          Lost in America.

Comment

Okay, which part of that image you want to be your avatar? The whole thing is too big to fit: you'll lose a lot of details.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Sample of what the avatar will look like.

There's a limitation on the avatar. Dimension cannot be bigger than 64 x 64 pixels and file size at 10K or less.
              Attached Files
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

You are correct.

First of all, THANK YOU, UR, for helping out.

About the image; can you cut off a significant amount of the top part of the original photo? It seems that if we could do that, it would leave a good part of the original image intact. You are correct in pointing out that in reducing the image to the size you have there, it tends to lose most if not all detail. I think that some of the bottom of the original image could be cropped as well. I suppose that I should state that my intention is to create an avatar that is sufficiently clear enough to enable others to see who I am. I very much dislike "hiding" behind an anonymous username and want others to know to whom they are speaking.

Exile
                Last edited by Exile; August 15, 2001, 16:30.
                Lost in America.

Comment

Here's a cropped version. Please comment.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, UR

How do I take the image you've produced and place it as an avatar?

Exile
                    Lost in America.

Comment

well the easiest way would be to right click on the picture and left click save picture as. save it to a file you can remember. then click on control panel on the apolyton forum page, go to edit options. at the bottom is the avatar. click on change avatar. they have a nifty button on the next web page that comes up. You can browse any file in your hard drive, and select any picture you want. If it is the right size, apolyton will accept it.

I know that is a very detailed description. I hope none of that is too obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                        ...although you really should use PNG (Portable Network Graphics) instead of GIF, since GIF uses a patented compression algorithm which is owned by Unisys.
                        It is all right to use GIFs, as long as your graphics program has paid the licensing fee to Unisys there should be no conflict. But even if it isn't licensed, don't worry. Nobody likes Unisys anyway.

Comment

Sadly it's not the program that needs to pay it's the images. Even if nobody likes Unisys it's the principle that counts

Comment

Yikes! Exile's avatar looks fuzzy I hope this new one is better
                            Attached Files

Comment

Exile, if you want IO could rotate your avatar to the right 15 degrees and crop it to a larger view of your face. And there'd be enough room for a title, like "Exile" running along the side.

Comment

Why don't you cut the face from the background?
                                Attached Files
                                Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                                And notifying the next of kin
                                Once again...

Comment

Working...
                                X