Trying to drive me to PLUS??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarkG
    you can bookmark http://apolyton.net/ads/netrift.html and open it as many times as you like
    no britney pops in there....!
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

-JR,

Have you eliminated the possibility that these popups are being served by some other site?? I find it middling curious that lots of other folk have not jumped in to say, 'I'm seeing a popup swarm too'. For instance, does it only happen at work or does it also happen from home access?? I remember you saying it only happens at Poly, but, it is strange that it seems to be happening only to you.

Hope you get some relief, soonest.

Monk
      so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

I have not found that, and I am not a Plus member either.

Comment

Still haven't checked with IT to see if there have been changes at work, and I haven't surfed Poly from home recently.

The ads are defintely Poly-driven. I don't multi-site surf in general. In this case, it's very specific --

1. Open Poly/forums/
          2. Link to anywhere on Poly, get an ad.
          3. Go anywhere else on Poly, get an ad.
          4. Download a .sav on Poly, get an ad.
          5. Search My Threads on Poly, get an ad.
          6. Edit a post at Poly, get an ad.

...ad nauseum (pun intended).

It would be odd if it turns out that something changed in the (generally immobile) work environment, just about the same time PLUS came online. But I hope that's it, since Markos has not intimated any changes in "Style" execution at Poly, and no one piling on with similar complaints.

(sigh)
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

For what it's worth, I use Apolyton both at home and at work (on breaks of course ) and I am not yet a member of Apolyton plus and I have not experienced any significant change in pop ups on Apolyton (I get them sometimes when opening links, but it usually just goes to the "wait 15 seconds for the linked page to appear"...and unlike most, I usually wait ).

btw, I am not running any of the programs listed above (google bar or any others......whatever they are)
            "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Getting ad-pops every time really sucks. It must be the cookies, or lack of them. If the IT guys changed the company policy to not accept any NEW cookies, then, two weeks ago when you cleared them, you made your work box Poly cookie free.

If you could access from home, and if you don't get the pop swarm, then it is not your login. It must be work related, somehow. Were it me, I would test that aspect before bringing attention to myself with the IT dept with any non-work related surfing questions. (That may not matter at your workplace??)

Monk
              so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

I used to get similar ads, but not with that frequency you mention when I use some public computers that do not like cookies.

Could this be the case with your work computer?

I don't think it's fair to demonise Markos for the time he spends on this site.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Yeah, yeah, so I was ticked when I posted.

So sue me. Mea freaking culpa.
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Ah yes, I give my gratitude to Markos who eliminated annoying Britney popup.
                    SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

I thought I started or contributed to a similar thread somewhere to poke a little light hearted fun at Mark and Dan when I noticed the increase in pop-ups a while ago. I've had a crap-load this morning and I came here to see if I could find the same thread but found this instead.

The cookie explanation doesnt hold water. There havent been any changes to my machines but I do see some days like today where I get a lot of pop-ups.

I'll try to pay more attention to when they occur.
                      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

You could always ask the IT people to install Google Taskbar to prevent popup, because it would raise productivity... yeah...
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Except that the google toolbar is a spyware of sorts.
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

It's a bit delicate to open a service request with the IT folks (though several are good friends) when my problem is that I can't freely surf Poly when I'm supposed to be working.

Life can be ironic.
                            Life can be unfair.

But it's nice to see that someone besides me is seeing this effect.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                              It's a bit delicate to open a service request with the IT folks (though several are good friends) when my problem is that I can't freely surf Poly when I'm supposed to be working.
                              Can't you claim that sites you need for work are affected also?

Comment

Y'know, if they were similarly affected, this thread wouldn't exist...

Comment

Working...
                                X