Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Apolyton Retaining New Members?

Is Apolyton Retaining New Members?

It seems Apolyton is recruiting new members at an amazingly fast pace, faster than ever. And yet, the same 20-100 people seem to be the ones doing the vast majority of the posting.

Are many of these newbies remaining with the site? Or are they being intimidated away by an ever increasingly self-referential group of 'quasi-elites?'

I don't know the exact data numbers of remaining registerees who came in January, etc. but as far as I can see, with a few notable exceptions such as HongHu, they are posting quite seldomly.

The trend seems to be 1 or 2 posters posting in the 1000's and the vast majority posting in the 0's and 1's as opposed to the elder days when 1 or 2 posted in the 1000's, and 20 posted in the 100's and 150 posted in the 50's and the rest posted in the 1's and 0's

Now, of course, I might be mistaken, and the newbies might just be buried in the morass of 10-20 posters posting 20 times in every thread, but if anyone has any experiential or quantifiable data to oppose my statements with, I would please ask people to think about the possible reprecussions resulting from my claim.

Thank You,
    DarkCloud
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

n00bs sux!

---

Eh... I'd say part of it is the lack of Civ stuff (even though we got RoN, this IS a Civ site first). The newbies came in droves during Civ3. And yes, it may also be a quasi-elite culture where any new person to the OT is 'welcomed' with:

DL! DL!

Which can't be all that welcoming.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

How new do you mean? I have only been here for one year....

Comment

DL's rock by the way

Comment

I've only been an active member in the last couple months...

...although I did join a year ago and I've lurked here occasionally since... 1999?

Wow. I guess I'm not that new here, afterall!
          ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

You will find any major sites will have roughly a third of their "members" having never posted even once, regardless of the culture of the place or friendliness of welcoming.

And remember when you were new here? For me, the thought of posing was intimidating. I didn't post very much at all. My ppd after 5 days was 0.2

Some of the new people will stay, many will leave. It is the nature of things.
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
              You will find any major sites will have roughly a third of their "members" having never posted even once, regardless of the culture of the place or friendliness of welcoming.

And remember when you were new here? For me, the thought of posing was intimidating. I didn't post very much at all. My ppd after 5 days was 0.2

Some of the new people will stay, many will leave. It is the nature of things.
              The thought of posing was intimidating for me too

Comment

some newbies just aren't qualified to be master spammers.

But their opinion is welcome anytime. I think we retain some of them.

The retention rate is probably the same as it has always been. Around 5% I'd say.

Comment

When I register some place new, I register to post

Last time I got to a 'new' forum (Which works ), I posted about 100 posts within the first 24 hours... slowly my PPD went down, and now I don't visit the site anymore...
                  This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I would love it to see the number of people that has joined since, say january 2004.........
                    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I mean: logged in, not joined in.
                      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Last I checked, 58% of CFC members have zero posts ...

Oddly, it was weeks from I started posting on OT and the first time anyone accused me of being a DL ...
                        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Most of them are DLs to boost referral counts.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

lots of ways to encourage people to get involved
                            Attached Files
                            Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                            I am of the Horde.

Comment

I think it was Locutus who had a nice chart on new members..........maybe he'll post it again.

I think you are right there may be less people joining now, but it's to be expected as the release of Civ3 was 2 and a half years ago now, and expansions don't bring as many new members.

Civ4 will bring many new members to the site.

I don't think there is evidence of what new posters there are having a lower chance of staying though.

Comment

Working...
                              X