This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ohh

Gladly pay to visit the site ( don't care about the [b]odd[/q] pop-up, as long as it is not intrusive)

No credit-card.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Yeah I'd pay.

Don't have a credit card though.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Obviously I would like to see this come about. Pricing, I think, would be a consideration for many. Mark, Can you give us an idea of what your thoughts are in this area?

Also, the poll mentions "other goodies". Any hints on what they may be?

Thanks for all the effort you are putting into this to make the best site on the web even better!
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Voted "yes if the price is right".

Originally posted by MarkG
          given this initial trend, examples of the right price seem to be needed
          Well, for instance, something like GameSpot subscription would make sense to me:

$5/month for a one-month sobscription
          $20-30 for a one-year subscription

Given my limited budget, I'd prefer the one-month subscription, since my activity usually comes in bursts - I come here a lot in the fall and winter, but am almost inactive during late spring/summer/early fall.
          Last edited by vovan; February 27, 2004, 21:33.
          XBox Live: VovanSim
          xbox.com (login required)
          Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
          Spore page

Comment

Yes, but I do not have a credit card.
            One lump sum payment would be best for me, but I dunno...If markos suddenly recieves $10,000 in one day, theres no telling what he would do
            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

I pay $30 a year to see Salon ad free. I also monetarily subscribe to Consumer Reports (about $25-$30). I have no problem paying around that much.

But our OT posts should start counting if we subscribe!
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I'm interested to what the "other goodies" would be?
                  Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

forgot to mention that I would pay if the price was right...
                    Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                        maybe $5 a month? With perhaps 2000 active participants, what is that, 10k a month? though of course, what happens to lurkers? Of course, if real money comes in, Markos might be able to get a better server.
                        $5 a month? That's $60a year. More than most magazine subscripations I know of. But again I haven't subscribed anything for few years now.

I'm more inclined toward $10 or $20 a year. It's possible that far more people would be willing to pay $10 a year resulting in higher gross revenue.

I agree with Ming, it's better to charge on yearly basis.

As for those without credit cards, would it be possible to set up a PO Box account for checks and money orders?

EDIT: Corrected a mathematical error, it's so simple it's disgusting that I made that error. Thanks, Plato.
                        Last edited by Barinthus; February 27, 2004, 23:47.
                        Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Originally posted by DataAeolus

$5 a month? That's $50 a year.
                          Might want to rethink the math here

I'm more inclined toward $10 or $20 a year.
                          I was thinking the $20-$25 per year range. I have no idea of the site's expenses so it is really hard to determine what the revenue threshold that this service would need to hit.

Comment

He's math is wright though

Month per month = 5$
                            one year at a time = 50$

-
                            As for those without credit cards, would it be possible to set up a PO Box account for checks and money orders?

Mark mentioned in the other thread that you can use pay-pa with a Credit-card.
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

It'll be interesting to estimate the "break-even" point, i.e. the point where a subscriber raises the same amount of cash as a non-subscriber.
                              Mark, Dan, maybe you can give that estimation based on ad revenue and site statistics?

I'd also like to put forward the suggestion of a "lifetime subscription".
                              With this option, one would pay the amount of (for example) five years subscription in one time, but one would then be a "lifetime member" of the site.

[Locutus: if you wired the money through the bank to me, I could arrange a subscription for you with my CC, but let's discuss that when things are set in stone.]

Comment

I reckon that a monthly fee will be somewhat higher than an annual fee. So $30 - $40 a year and $4 - $5 a month looks about right.
                                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X