Diplogame Civ Group: Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diplogame Civ Group: Part 2

Mark, you closed that thread prematurely. A diplogame is different from the diplomacy game mentioned in the first thread. Ming and Rah can attest to that. I'll argue also that diplogames are more active than diplomacy games anyhow.

Diplogames:

Diplomacy Games:

But as for Ming's concern about one forum having more than one civ group, some of those democracy game forums have like 6 civgroups. Storys and Diplomacy has 2. It wouldn't hurt to add one for us. We don't want our own forum, just a civ group, so we can help identify fellow diplogamers. Just like the other players have for their games.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Mark... PLEASE hear him out.

First... The Diplomacy civ group you pointed out is in regards to the actual game of Diplomacy. Ozzy is talking about something totally different. He is talking about a very specific and very formal version of playing Civ II MP. While there already is a Civ II MP civ group (which is almost as large as the Civ III MP group ) there is a subset of that group that plays what they have named "Diplogames". They are played with very specific rules that have been built up over the years and have been well documented thanks to the continuing and hard efforts of Ozzy and other Diplogame players. While we all actually "play" Civ II MP, their version is FAR different than what the rest of us are playing. And while many people play Civ II MP both ways, there is a proud and strong community of Civ II Diplogame players. There group is as active and as dedicated as many of the other groups that have civ groups.

I ask you to reconsider and to add a "Diplogame" civ group to the Civ II MP Forum... They are an important part of the Civ II community.

And Seocnd... yeah, it was pointed out that two civ groups in a forum isn't a problem ( I didn't know that) so ignore any earlier comments I made
    Last edited by Ming; January 7, 2004, 11:58.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Thanks for the support Ming.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

NP Ozzy... I can understand the confusion since there already is a Diplo Civ Group I just want to make sure that Mark understands this is something totally different, so that he can make a more informed decision
        Keep on Civin'

Comment

Good idea

Civ2 diplogames are completely different from your usual MP games, comparing them is like comparing civ1 to civ2....

And as 'some' demogames seem to have more civgroups then players Ozzy's request sounds fair.

/me Consul of Rome

Comment

good call ozzy. Many fail to realise just how different the version of civ we play is.

I throw my full support behind this call for our own Group .
            GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

What exactly is a DiploGame?

Comment

Originally posted by GhengisFarb
                Any description I give wouldn't do it justice... Check out this thread:

(it's the same link Ozzy provided, but you obviously weren't aware of what it was)

It is a detailed FAQ and recap of Diplogames... Thanks to Ozzy for putting it together and helping keep Diplogames going.
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

Its right in my sig line too.

Comment

Yikes! I thought it could be summed up in a short paragraph and Ming gives me a 38 page Encyclopedia!

Thanks though.

Comment

Heh, thats my fault. I'm thourogh. Here is this though, from the DiploFAQ:

2.1 What are diplogames?
                      Diplogames are champagne and opera to duel game's beer and tractor pull.

Looking through the threads you'll find countless definitions of diplogames. In summary a diplogames comes down to this: A long term Civ2MP game with 5-7 players who try to resolve problems by diplomacy. Managing your civ is not enough. You try to play a 'leader' thus roleplaying and storytelling in a diplogame is as important as gaming skills. An eloquent speaker who uses tact can get the same work done as the no.1 in the game, if he speaks up.

The Diplomacy takes place in the form of negotiations, treaties, special alliances, pacts and in the end...WAR. To keep track of historic events players will be required to post their view on events on a public forum. Everyone is free how to write his own posts it can be funny, formal, boring...anything is allowed as long as your message gets through. Just read through the diplogame threads located at the end of this FAQ for examples.

Originally posted by GNGSpam
                      Diplogames should center around Politics. While most games turn into lessons in game mechanics, with super growth strategy formulas, and trade bug manipulation equations, the Diplogame relies on human interaction, through diplomacy, politics, even out and out propaganda.

Comment

Originally posted by GhengisFarb
                        A DiploGame is a 1x1x Civ2MP game, usually involving at least 5 civs, where the actions of the civ rulers is dictated by real world cause and effect. The civ rulers are personalities, separate from our real personas, and make decisions based on their interaction with the other rulers and the politics between the various civs or nations.

Over time the personalities of the civ rulers change as make believe stories evolve both within ones civ and between the civs. The stories are posted in the threads and can involve political manipulation or mis-information right the way through to rich cultural stories that go beyond the actual game play.

Special rules are discussed before each game and often modpaks are developed to reflect the rules and settings. Sometimes the Earth map is used, or parts of the world like Europe only, and sometimes random maps or custom maps.
                        "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
                        *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

1) never post a 1-sentence request. explaining yourself and providing links help

2) is there an estimate on the amount of people involved in diplogames?

3) you dont happen to have an icon ready, do you?
                          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Yes, having an icon already done so Mark doesn't have to make one is always a good idea.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Looking good... Now we just need the diplogamers to agree on an icon.

Shouldn't take more than a few months...
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                              X