Redirect function being weird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do run Norton Antivirus
    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

I think it's a flaw in that particular piece of software. I'd have to check though.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
        by service pack 1, you mean windows xp service pack 1?

guess what, i've got the exact same ie/windows version

Not sure I follow your logic, Markos.
        well since the same browser on my computer(and other browsers on other people's computers) doesnt give any error then the problem is not on the apolyton code but rather on something on your computer

It just started happening in the last few days..
        that's cause the redirect system was changed a few days ago
        Ah, I see. By leaving my PC unchanged in it's happily-working state while people dicked about with Poly, I was in the wrong. What a silly billy I am.

Yup- I run Norton too. In order to filter out those bastard pop-ups on the re-direct.
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

only thing, there are NO pop-ups on the redirect anymore

so YOU using software(i was right, there was nothing wrong with our code, it was something on your end that caused the problem) in order to be the smart guy and not see the same ads like all the other visitors of the site is now creating trouble in your use of the site. please tell me why i should try to do something about it
          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

It didnt create trouble before so how exactly is it our faut? We didnt change anything. Apparently poly is the only site we have problems with.
            Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

in order to be the smart guy and not see the same ads like all the other visitors of the site is now creating trouble in your use of the site.
              /me drags out world's smallest violin to play, "My heart bleeds for you."

Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Sprayber
                It didnt create trouble before so how exactly is it our faut? We didnt change anything. Apparently poly is the only site we have problems with.
                are you using adfiltering features of norton antivirus?

if you are, you're using software to mess up the code that would otherwise work just fine.

Comment

And the fact that this site's pointless, annoying, cleverdick redirect facility designed to complicate something that the rest of the internet manages with a simple link has nothing to do with it. I get the picture.

Comment

There are actually many sites that show ads when users leave their site or downloads files, and having links going to known ad providers (that NA filters away)

If you always have it enabled you won't know if you missother links on other sites since they might have been of tht format for longer.
                    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                      And the fact that this site's pointless
                      it's not pointless. it helps us pay the bills and that's a huge point imho
                      even more it has brought to the light some bad habits of some of our users and personally that's an even bigger point
                      , annoying, cleverdick redirect facility designed to complicate something that the rest of the internet manages with a simple link has nothing to do with it. I get the picture.
                      well consider this: washington post asks guests to enter their US zip code before reading a article. every time i get there, i enter the example given (21071 i believe). i think we annoy people much much less than that
                      Last edited by MarkG; December 12, 2003, 10:54.

Comment

plus, we are NOT doing this in our front page or other significant pages (like gamespot, ign, etc)

Comment

So what did you do a few days ago that caused this problem, Markos?

Comment

It's translating the "/" character into "%2F".
                            That's what is happening to me too.

And I run Norton.
                            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

So what did you do a few days ago that caused this problem, Markos?

Comment

You know, it was directly because of getting mugged by multiple pop-ups on Apolyton that I finally snapped and installed Norton. I got fed up with the suggested work-arounds that never work for long. When you're on a dial-up connection it can slow things to a crawl. You'll therefore understand my scepticism if you're suggesting I should disable my security on visiting here.

CFC has one advert in 24 hours on first accessing the site- and that seems to work fine. Ever considered such an option?

Comment

Working...
                                X