Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are these mass-migrations to 'poly a good thing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alex
    How do I know how many posts I have in the OT?
    Well, the way I do it (and this may be skewed by the archiving of threads) is this:

- Click my profile. Take a look at the official number of posts.
    - Then, click the "Search for all posts by this user" link
    - Take a look at the number of results. The difference between this and my official post count should be my number of posts in the OT.

Though now that I look at it, the results probably are skewed by archiving... This method now yields exactly 23 posts in the OT, but I distinctly remember having a little over 30 last time I checked, and I posted once or twice in the OT since then.
    XBox Live: VovanSim
    xbox.com (login required)
    Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
    Spore page

Comment

Now I'm confused.

66 posts using Spikie's method.

Doing what vovan suggested, I see:

2590 - official number of posts (profile link)
      2251 - after clicking on the "search for all posts by this user" link

I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

oh, when I was searching like DrSpike suggested, I chose to search for posts from "yesterday and older", just to clarify.

Comment

Clearly, my method produces errors due to thread archiving then (or a limit on the date when searching by the link in the profile). DrSpike must be closer to truth.
          XBox Live: VovanSim
          xbox.com (login required)
          Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
          Spore page

Comment

Anyways, hundreds of thousands of OT posts are deleted every few months

so the number searched is NOWHERE NEAR the real amount of OT posts that everyone has

I probably have 90-300 in the OT, maybe 400- but a search will only show about 40 at most

(I'm too old to have more posts in the OT still existing )
            -->Visit CGN!
            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I show 417 OT posts, and 680 archived OT posts.
              2072 On-Topic posts.

I'd easily be Emperor by now.

ACK!
              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
                Anyways, hundreds of thousands of OT posts are deleted every few months

so the number searched is NOWHERE NEAR the real amount of OT posts that everyone has

I probably have 90-300 in the OT, maybe 400- but a search will only show about 40 at most

(I'm too old to have more posts in the OT still existing )
                Do they get sent to the archive, or actually deleted completely?

Unless you were joking.

Comment

They go to the archive, but the archive is actually a conga line to oblivion.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

We lost all our original, time-of-the-event 9-11 threads that way.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Yeah, my count used to read about 4.5K posts on both the off and on. Now with the OT archive, I have about 4K.

As long as the purity of OT is maintained so that the majority of the people on it don't actually play Civ
                      First time anyone's called me for violating the purity of anything.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Yes and no. First of all the negative effect is that it generates a large number of pointless threads which are basically very newbie questions which have already been answered or which the game documentation covers. Also some newbies tend to dislike the older community members. The positive effect is of course growth of the community, but that's not good, if the resources of the site don't match up with the ever growing ACS community.
                        "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Originally posted by vovan
                          Clearly, my method produces errors due to thread archiving then (or a limit on the date when searching by the link in the profile). DrSpike must be closer to truth.
                          Hmm, hopefully. I didn't test the way I suggested for OT posts, but I guess if posts are gone it would be hard to count them by any method.

Comment

well, I have 243 more messagens in the OT archive. considering what was forever lost before, I'd say I would be an emperor by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasbelin

Yes and no. First of all the negative effect is that it generates a large number of pointless threads which are basically very newbie questions which have already been answered or which the game documentation covers. Also some newbies tend to dislike the older community members. The positive effect is of course growth of the community, but that's not good, if the resources of the site don't match up with the ever growing ACS community.
                              Those "newbie threads" can be very amusing... especially certain ones

Comment

Well, Coracle's threads weren't newbie threads, but surely better than those certain newbie ones.
                                "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Working...
                                X