Discussions' death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussions' death

To me, it seems serious discussions went down to a whisper...

Before, I could write something and would have to come 3 times in the same day to pursue the discussion in all its details. It would be about how games are, how Civ could be, how Firaxis was managing it, anything.

Now, I can easily see serious discussions staying with the same person that last answered for DAYS. Of course, the upcoming of Civ3, and then of MOO3, brang alot of people to discussing constantly every single point. But isn't there more than that? Look at the Future forum: it is almost silent, rarely have answers. Not NEW THREADS, simple answers!!!

So since I needed my Apolyton patch, my brain-stimulating thread, I'm throwing this question in:
    Did the level of intellectual activity went down on Apolyton? If so, is it due to everyone being bored, satisfied, everything being discussed or anything?

What's going on with Apolyton's intelligent discussions base, did it went down or is it me??

Let's see if something will be discussing this
    Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

How could I be interested in discussing future games when the old ones are great?

Well, I assume it's simply because the old timers have played the games that much that they aren't interested anymore or have found other interesting things to spa... I mean discuss about. Many of the future discussions are in the wrong place under the general Civ III forum (refering to those Civ IV threads someone hasn't bee arsed to post in the right forum) and I'm not interested in discussing about Civ IV there as the threads have been populated by Civ III people which have ideas very much inspired by Civ III. Netither am I in general that interested in the topic. However I have talked about the future in at least 2 The Column articles, so you might want to check them. My speculations about the Dinosaurs still going to be released one day were already there, but it didn't spark any discussion either.

So ergo epso facto: either I'm paranoia, no one is interested or there's nothing to discuss.
    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Well, pretty much of everything general has been said about a "new" game like Civ3, which makes the Civ3-general a much less active place than before. I'd suppose it is the same for MOO3, but you might want to check the GalCiv forum, I have heard it is quite active.

The "future" forum is somehow dead because pretty much nobody knows about it, but you can find several "Civ4" threads in the Civ3 general. Here are a few links :

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=82409 (the big one)

All of those had their last posts in the past 10 days. If you're interested in the future of Civ, you might want to check them.
      Otherwise, the OT forum is very active, and last time I was there, Democracy Games were raging, and were really addctive. You might want to check them too
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

All those threads should be moved to the correct forum.
        "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Some are about the next expansion for Civ3 though
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Talking of which, do we have an "Ideas from Cloud Cuckooland" forum?
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Argh, not the goddamn underline.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

You shouldn't be so uptight when it comes to underlines UR

Comment

Wait till I stick some underline up your nose Spiffor

Back to the OP. There are a number of reasons why discussion threads are abandoned, so to speak. Often one or more participants have time constrains and other obligations. If the computer networks gave me a headache today at work, I probably wouldn't want to discuss something serious on 'Poly.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Ahhhhhh... anyway it's boring to not have something to ameliorate :P
                    Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Civ, in all its incarnations, has been exaustively discussed and I see that many threads are created by newbies that want to know something that has been discussed before, so the old-timers usually flee from those threads, although one or two occasionally go there and share their knowledge.

As for other subjects, I see that the "Other Games" forum and the OT are alive and kicking.
                      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I'm pretty much satisfied.
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

If the computer networks gave me a headache today at work,
                          Do underlines give you a headache, UR?
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

maybe the civ3 forum is dead because everyone has finally realized what a crap game it is Otherwise, I'd have to say that there are no new ideas in any of the general forums, it's all been done

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower
                              maybe the civ3 forum is dead because everyone has finally realized what a crap game it is Otherwise, I'd have to say that there are no new ideas in any of the general forums, it's all been done
                              far from it.

as a frequenter of the forum, i believe the general idea forum shoukld be given a spicier name, and perment top billing.

that way the noobs with opinions would see it.
                              "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                              - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Working...
                              X