Turns of AXT042 game in Apolyton PBEM Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turn 2149 to tench.

this time I made this post directly after I sent the turn to allen.
    It's close to midnight and something evil's is lurking in the dark.

Comment

• Year 2149 to Walt.
      _______

Fallacies of a Free Market Part I

... coming soon!!!
      [This message has been edited by Tenchusatsu (edited April 11, 2001).]

Comment

• Heh.

2149 to cbn

________

CEO Walt could hear the market crashing from the open window on the 101st floor of Morgan Tower. Briefly he was tempted... But, he'd stuck it out for 48 years. He could last another 48, or another 480.

"Rachel, call Commander De Sade. It's time for another round of Nerve Stapling..."

Comment

• greetings all,

I just wanna say that I be out of town till next tuesday and am sorry to delay the game for so many days. But it's the holidays and I am on my way to visit my parents whom I haven't seen in 4 month. Unfotunetly they live back in the stoneage and doesn't have computers and I can't think of any of my firends who has either so playing would be difficult. Well family and friends get higher priorities so..... again sorry for the delay.

I don't even think I have time to play one more turn since I be on the train in 1 hour. Lets see if I get the turn till then otherwise you guys just have to wait a few days extra to play again.

Comment

• Turn to the cult

I guess we will resume when you get back

Comment

• Year 2150 to Walt.
              _______

Fallacies of a Free Market, Part I
              "Greed Is Not Good"
              Deirdre Skye

One of the motivating factors behind the participants of a Free Market Economy is the desire for profit. History has shown that the profit motive is a powerful driving force in the progress of a society. Yet, if left unchecked, that same motive can become a powerful yet deadly narcotic, destroying the environment while the populace remains asleep in a false paradise of increased wealth, power, and knowledge.

The harm a Free Market economy does on the environment cannot be overstressed. The profit motive demands that the costs of production must be minimized in order to maximize the return on investment. Sadly, this often calls for neglecting proper environmental safeguards, such as those which minimize pollution. Moreover, conservation of natural resources is also ignored, and cries from environmentalists are dismissed as extremist by those addicted to cheap goods, soaring wealth, and increased luxury. Then by the time the natural resources are depleted in one territory, the Free Marketeers simply move on to the next territory to deflower and pillage. What they leave behind are wastelands.

Such forces were major contributors to the death of Old Earth in the late 21st century. Free-market capitalism became the de facto standard for the new global economy which emerged in the late 20th century. This economy then led to long-term environmental destruction. This in turn led to a collapse of the global economy as the quality of life rapidly deteriorated and major riots erupted against governments, corporations, and other institutions seen as responsible for the worldwide disorder. Then the wars came, and only by the good will of great Gaia did even a small fraction of humankind escape here to Alpha Centauri.

This alone should be enough to discourage any society from adopting a Free Market Economy again. Yet there are other reasons ...

Comment

• turn 2150 to tench

I'm back!

Comment

• 2150 to cbn.

Comment

• okey guys,

I have more bad news. Sorry. Apparently I have pre-engaged myself to a 4-days concert preformence at Berlin, germany, and I forgot to tell you guys about it. So anyway, I will be away again for a few days, I will be leaving app. 13 hours from now. I'll be back on sunday night. My apologies again.

And there is another thing......

After this second long break I won't have any until ..... in the middle of june. When my summer vacation starts. And that would be a huge problem since I probably will be at my hometown for 2 or at least 1 1/2 month, and I don't have access to computers there. Well I could check my email, but that's it. Playing would be impossible. So I am prepared to quite this and turn the game over to someone else if that what you guys want. I am really sorry I didn't kept the summer in mind when I joined the game. Once again, sorry. But consider a game sometimes takes more than 1 year, this was bound to happen to me anyway. I won't mind if you guys discuss´this amongst yourself and then let me know. Sorry.

Comment

• Turn 2150 passed

Comment

• turn 2151 to tench.

I'll be leaving for Berlin now... see you all when I come back.

Comment

• Unfortunate circumstances but I will be unavailable for another 4 days after knowhow2 comes back. No turns will likely be forthcoming from me from Monday until possibly very late Thursday. But get the turn to me since I will try to find a way to play somehow. After this delay I will be around, barring the unforseen, until at least the middle of August (may have a 3 day gap then).

As for knowhow2's absence for 6 weeks in June-- I consider that to be a very long gap. Can you get a replacement player to sub for you? I have a strong preference not to stop that long but will accept the delay if everyone else was ok with it. I generally expect (and accept) delays of up to a week in games like these but 6 weeks is a bit long. My fear is that you would never get people back if we stopped that long.

Is there any chance we could schedule a couple of more Direct Connection sessions? I know it gets tougher as the units and diplomacy get more involved but now that I know how it works we should have less delay at the start-up. We could easily get 15-20 turns done within an afternoon. We could even move from simultaneous moves to a rotation with a time limit if people wanted to.

Cheers
                          cbn

Comment

• Good thing, too. It gives me a chance to work on my computer. I took a lot of parts out to build a computer for someone else, and I'm waiting for some parts to come in Friday.

Comment

• Real life is intruding into my gaming-- I forget if I mentioned this before but . . . . I will be out of town on business (heading to Western Canada) and unavailable from mid day Saturday until sometime Thursday evening. I apologize for the delay but should have no other time away for several months.

Comment

• Year 2151 to Walt.
                                _______

Fallacies of a Free Market, Part II
                                "The Poor Don't Just Get Poorer, They Get Screwed"

One of the inevitable consequences of a Free Market economy is its favoritism toward the strong. This makes sense in a purely theoretical sense, because free market economics dictates that those best able to manage and utilize the resources of a society should have control over them. But more often than not, this leads to a widening rift between the rich and poor, the strong and the weak. Those with the money and the power will inevitably exploit their control over the common folk, leading to unhappiness among the common masses. Eventually the commoners will get so fed up, they revolt, and no amount of police protection will be able to help.
                                _______

You guys know about the protests at the free trade summit in Quebec? Seems like the Free Market nations of this world need to increase their Psych allocation, huh?
                                _______

Let's set a tentative date for the next TCP/IP session. How about two weeks from now, Saturday May 5th or Sunday May 6th?

Comment

Working...
                                X