Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, Markos finally pu up that update I sent him yesterday. What do you think?

Comment

• Ah, glad that you asked. I'll admit that everything is fansubs acquired over the Internet, since I'm, well, a piss poor student who doesn't own a DVD player or a DVD drive. Once I get one, though, the first thing I'll get will be End of Evangelion and the box set with all the NGE episodes. The damage shouldn't be too bad, around 170 euros, and for a good cause I can always manage to collect that.

Though, I have already supported the industry by ordering the S^2 Works album and the Xenogears OST over the Internet, I should have them in a few weeks. Also I'm planning on getting the Eva manga some day. ^^

But, in any case, this is what I've got:

- Neon Genesis Evangelion (episodes 1 - 26, Death and Rebirth (true^2), End of Evangelion)
      - Cowboy Bebop (episodes 1 - 26)
      - Vision of Escaflowne (episodes 1 - 26)
      - Serial Experiments Lain (episodes 1 - 13)
      - FLCL (episodes 1 - 6)
      - Crest of Stars / Seikai no Senki (episodes 1 - 6 at the moment, gonna get rest of the season, eps 7 - 13)
      - Vandread (episodes 1 - 13)
      - Grave of the Fireflies (film)
      - Ghost in the Shell (film)
      - Metropolis (film)
      - Perfect Blue (film)
      - Wings of Honneamise (film)

... I think that's all. Haven't watched everything yet, unfortunately.

Everything a beginner otaku might need, except the comedy part is a bit lacking, save for FLCL and Vandread. I prefer to gather an entire season, or even a series, before actually watching it, since I always end up wanting to see the rest right away...

I've also watched the entire Trigun and Gravitation series at a friend's place.

Also, everything has Japanese speech and English subtitles. Dubbed anime is a scorn of the earth. Even Evangelion is ruined by it. Ugh. Asuka's voice actor was awful, Ritsuko's voice was awful, Maya's voice was awful, Misato's voice was awful, Shinji sounded like he had a spine, Gendou's voice was goddamn awful, Rei's voice was downright terrible... need I go on?
      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

• .....that's tiny.

Okay, well, here goes then. This isn't a complete list mind. Just what I can recall from memory. And I've seen a lot more than this too, thanks to my club ( http://www.anime.com.au/bas )

Ai Yori Aoshi (0-24 Complete)
        Akira (Movie)
        Angelic Layer (1-26 Complete)
        Ayashi no Ceres (1-24 Complete)
        Bakaratsu Hunters (1-26 Complete)
        Battle Angel Alita (OVA 1-2 Complete)
        Boogiepop Phanton (1-12 Complete)
        Card Captor Sakura (1st Movie Subbed, The Sealed Card 2nd Movie Raw)
        Dual (1-13 Complete, OVA)
        Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals (OVA 1-4 Complete)
        Fruits Basket (1-26 Complete)
        Ghost in the Shell (film)
        Grave of the Fireflies (Movie)
        Happy Lesson (TV 1-13 Complete)
        Hellsing (1-13 Complete)
        I My Me Strawberry Egg (1-13 Complete)
        Inuyasha (1-46)
        Kiki's Delivery Service (Movie)
        Legend of Crystania (Movie, OVA 1-2)
        Macross - Clash of the Bionoids (Movie)
        Macross Plus (OVA 1-4 Complete)
        Mahoromatic Maid (1-12 Complete)
        Mahou Tsukai Tai (OVA 1-6 Complete, TV 1-13 Complete)
        Martain Successor Nadesico (1-26 Complete, Gekigengar III OVA, Prince of Darkness Movie)
        Megami Koukosei [ie. Canditate for Goddess] (0-11 Complete)
        Neon Genesis Evangelion (1-26 Complete, Death & Rebirth Movie, End of Evangelion Movie)
        Noir (1-26 Complete)
        Oh My Goddess (OVA 1-5 Complete)
        Onegai Teacher (1-12 Complete)
        Patlabor - The Mobile Police (TV 1-6, 1st Movie, 2nd Movie)
        Rizelmine (1-3)
        Record of Lodoss War - Chronicles of the Heroic Knight (1-25 Complete)
        Read or Die (OVA 1-3 Complete)
        Sailor Moon S (Movie)
        Serial Experiments Lain (1-13 Complete)
        Spirited Away (Movie)
        Super Dimensional Fortress Macross II - Lovers Again (OVA 1-6 Complete)
        Weiss Kruez Gluhen (1-2)
        Wings of Honneamise (Movie)
        Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos

Comment

• Ah, right, RoLW - Chronicles of the Heroic Knight, I have ten or so episodes of that too, I forgot.

Note though that I'm running on a 256/256 kbps broadband connection, and an eight gig hard drive, so in other words, every single thing must be burnt on CD's. So for four months of time to collect (I've had the broadband for only two, actually), I think my stockpile is pretty handsome. After all, the first time I even saw any anime was in September 4th 2002, the first episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

/me wants that 120 GB HDD *
          Last edited by Kassiopeia; February 17, 2003, 10:17.
          Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

• Originally posted by Pandemoniak
            Do you guys know that a prolonged period without sleep is very destructive for your brain cells ?
            I knew it wasn't good for you, but I didn't know about that specific effect... interesting, too, because a lot of my most profound thought comes after such a marathon session (of gaming, I don't stay up for non-interactive stuff... except the occaisional staying-up-well-past-bedtime-reading-the-Bible-marathons, those can get interesting).

I guess it goes by the same principle of "Natural Selection of Brain Cells" that an alcohol-loving friend of mine once told me: "I figure if I make it hard enough on the suckers I'll kill off the weak ones because only the strong cells will adapt."

edit - Archaic, that's a very impressive collection. To anime-ignorant ol' me, at least.
            Last edited by Cedayon; February 17, 2003, 13:16.

Comment

• Really? I thought you'd been big on anime for ages. I used to watch it about 8-12 years ago, but haven't seen any since.
              Smile
              For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
              But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

• Do you guys know that a prolonged period without sleep is very destructive for your brain cells ?
                Originally posted by Kassiopeia
                So is drinking alcohol
                yes, but that's socially acceptable. what you are proposing OTOH...

Comment

• Social acceptability be damned. Besides, otaku have social circles of their own too. If they are fortunate enough to live in cities that have more than two otaku, that is.
                  Last edited by Kassiopeia; February 17, 2003, 20:16.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kassiopeia
                    otakus
                    Whats?

Comment

• In Japan it means "House", though it's been used as a slang term for someone who just stays around the huse and obsesses with stuff, from video games to anime to dating simulations. Anime fans took the word to describe themselves over here.

And Kass, I'm in a similar situation, 256k cable (w/ 3GB/month transfer cap) and a 20GB hard drive, but my cable isn't as quick as it sounds simply because I'm in Australia and the speeds down the pacific pipeline aren't great. Your best hope for quick Anime really is to join a club, and get people there to burn you CD's of stuff in exchange for blanks.

Comment

• I misconjugated 'otaku', it's in Japanese so when speaking English it shouldn't be conjugated at all. It can be conjugated in Finnish, so I tend to do it in English too.

Anime clubs? No hope about those...
                        People burn me CD's? That's a possibility, but I usually have to pay instead of blanks I'm afraid. It's cheaper to D/L it on my own. Of course, I don't have the time to watch everything I download even now, so I have no need to increase my rate of getting new stuff.

Comment

• *AHEM*

Ok, Markos finally pu up that update I sent him yesterday. What do you think?

Comment

• Kass, give me the name of your city, and any local universities, and I'll find you at least 1 Anime Club.

Comment

• Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
                              *AHEM*
                              Great. Though I was wondering what outsiders must think when they read about all those resigns and impeachments.
                              Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                              Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

• Archaic, sure, there are anime clubs around the Universities of Tampere and Jyväskylä*, and when I go to Uni, I'm sure to join such a club, no doubt about that. But there's no such club in Mänttä, I'm afraid. Most of the anime freaks of our high school graduate this year, any way. I'm on my first year of high school, so it's two more years of this before I go to Uni.

*Jyväskylä and Tampere are the closest University cities to where I live, both are ~100 km from Mänttä.

Comment

Working...
                                X