Jedinica Vrijstaat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Viðv. 1) Treytað frádøming af koyrikorti fyri promillukoyring

Sambært § 59a í uppskotinum verður nú møguligt at fáa treytaða frádøming av koyrikortinum hjá persóni, ið er tikin fyri promillukoyring."

This quote is from a Danish article (I think Danish, anyway) which included the term "promillan"as well as the prefix "promill-" seen above. The term was being used in a statistical context, but I can't suss the precise meaning. You Euro guys are something else with your english- I'm more impressed the more I get my butt kicked by this stuff.
    Last edited by lucky22; December 18, 2002, 15:25.

Comment

btw: Yesterday I saw a large group of Morganite tourists who took pictures of each other standing in front of the 35m high giant Xenobrew-advertisment...
      That´s Morgan´s taste, I think...
      Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
      Let me eat your yummy brain!
      "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

Are you sure that formula is correct, Lucky??? I did some testing.

To determine the total growth over a certain period:

My total formula:
        [(Last Figure - First figure) / (First Figure)] * 100
        For Sheathed Sword nutrients:
        [(7-6)/6] * 100 = 16.67
        Check: 6 + 6*0.166 = 7

Your total formula:
        (1-[First Figure/Last Figure])*100
        [1-(6/7)] * 100 = 14.29
        Check: 6 + 6*0.1429 = 6.86

Mine seems correct. To determine the average annual growth however, my formula doesn't work. I already tested yours, and unfortunately it doesn't seem to work either.

To determine the annual growth:

My annual formula:

[Last Figure - First figure) / (First Figure)] * 100 / # of years

[(7-6)/6] * 100 / 4 = 4.1666...
        Year 0: 6 nutrients
        Year 1: 6 * 1.04167 = 6.25
        Year 2: 6.25 * 1.04167 = 6.51
        Year 3: 6.51 * 1.04167 = 6.78
        Year 4: 6.78 * 1.04167 = 7.06

As expected, every year the difference between the expected and calculated number increases, making the formula completely inadequate for determining the average annual growth for longer periods of time.

Your annual formula:
        ((1-[First Figure/Last Figure])/[# of years])*100
        (Did I put the extra brackets right?)

[(1-[6/7])/4] * 100 = 3.57
        Year 1: 6 * 1.0357 = 6.21
        Year 2: 6.21 * 1.0357 = 6.44
        Year 3: 6.44 * 1.0357 = 6.67
        Year 4: 6.67 * 1.0357 = 6.90

So here the end number is lower than the number we should get, around 7. Did I do anything wrong??
        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

"Promillian" is actually an adjective I invented myself. I don't know if it exists in English. In Dutch the substanstif "promille" is used. Anyway, for its meaning, it's very simple.

Pro centum (Latin) -> Pour cent (French) -> Percent(ual) (English)
          Pro millia (Latin) -> Promille (Dutch/Fr.?) -> (my neologism) Promillian
          Whereas "centum" means hundred and "millia" means thousand in Latin.
          Though percentages are used most of the time, for things such as population, figures on thousand, especially when dealing with birth and starvation rates, are more frequent here.

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
            Are you sure that formula is correct, Lucky??? I did some testing.

To determine the total growth over a certain period:

My total formula:
            [(Last Figure - First figure) / (First Figure)] * 100
            [(7-6)/6] * 100 = 16.67
            Check: 6 + 6*0.166 = 7

Your total formula:
            (1-[First Figure/Last Figure])*100
            [1-(6/7)] * 100 = 14.29
            Check: 6 + 6*0.1429 = 6.86
            Check: 6+7*0.1429=7.0003

Year 7 is the actual baseline for my formula. It is retrocative and not predictive, which leads us to...

To determine the annual growth:

My annual formula:

[Last Figure - First figure) / (First Figure)] * 100 / # of years

[(7-6)/6] * 100 / 4 = 4.1666...
            Year 1: 6 * 1.04167 = 6.25
            Year 2: 6.25 * 1.04167 = 6.51
            Year 3: 6.51 * 1.04167 = 6.78
            Year 4: 6.78 * 1.04167 = 7.06
            Here's a major clue...

As expected, every year the difference between the expected and calculated number increases, making the formula completely inadequate for determining the average annual growth for longer periods of time.
            The rate of growth isn't linear. We need an integral to estimate the actual number at a given year.

Your annual formula:
            ((1-[First Figure/Last Figure])/[# of years])*100
            (Did I put the extra brackets right?)

[(1-[6/7])/4] * 100 = 3.57
            Year 1: 6 * 1.0357 = 6.21
            Year 2: 6.21 * 1.0357 = 6.44
            Year 3: 6.44 * 1.0357 = 6.67
            Year 4: 6.67 * 1.0357 = 6.90

So here the end number is lower than the number we should get, around 7. Did I do anything wrong??
            In order to be "predictive" my formula needs to be recalculated using 6.21 rather than 6 at year 1 and so on. Could get tedious. If we have the formula for nutrient production handy (that would actually be a lot of work) we can do an integral setting X to be time and Y to be nutrients- if there isn't any neckbreaking trigonometry involved ( ) then we'll have a handy computing formula for any given year... that result will differ from the average annual growth by definition.

D'oh!! Thanks. We'd go with "per thousand". We (well, I, certainly) forget that "percent" comes from somewhere other than mom.
            Last edited by lucky22; December 18, 2002, 17:26.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation!

The rate of growth isn't linear. We need an integral to estimate the actual number at a given year.
              Integrals! My my, and I thought it would be some simple formula to take the exponential (or whatver you have to call it) growth into account.
              /me tries to remember the math of last year.

if there isn't any neckbreaking trigonometry involved
              Oh my. I heard just today I have 20/20 on my statistics exam ( ), but I'm clearly far from an expert.

that result will differ from the average annual growth by definition.
              What would it give then? I'm looking for some formula to be able to calculate what's the total percentual growth in food/mineral/energy production and population during my governorship (which can be done by my simple formula), and besides that being able to say what the annual percentual growth is up until now. I would put these figures under the "Population and economic overview" in my first post.

Comment

Originally posted by lucky22
                "Viðv. 1) Treytað frádøming af koyrikorti fyri promillukoyring

Sambært § 59a í uppskotinum verður nú møguligt at fáa treytaða frádøming av koyrikortinum hjá persóni, ið er tikin fyri promillukoyring."

This quote is from a Danish article (I think Danish, anyway)
                Actually, it's Icelandic. Way, way cooler.
                "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
                  Thanks for the explanation!

Integrals! My my, and I thought it would be some simple formula to take the exponential (or whatver you have to call it) growth into account.
                  * Maniac tries to remember the math of last year.
                  If I wrote out rather than implied the the formula then it would be no big deal, probably. I am unable to write it out right now, so who's the doofus?

Oh my. I heard just today I have 20/20 on my statistics exam ( ), but I'm clearly far from an expert.
                  Right on... if you choose to spend time on it, you will of course master it.

What would it give then?
                  It would give the growth rate for that individual year. The growth actually occurs on a curve. The average for a single year implies a (falsely) linear relationship between time and quantity of nutrients.

I'm looking for some formula to be able to calculate what's the total percentual growth in food/mineral/energy production and population during my governorship (which can be done by my simple formula), and besides that being able to say what the annual percentual growth is up until now. I would put these figures under the "Population and economic overview" in my first post.
                  Either report the average annual rate, which isn't all that misleading, recalculate the formula for each year relative to the previous year, or else plot the growth curve and determine the rate of change at each year by finding the slope of the tangent line for the point representing that year on the graph. Reporting results on the second two will not be very compact and non-constant rates of change are kind of esoteric anyway.

My advice would be to report the average annual rate, and if it reflects positively on your governorship an average increase in the annual rate, based on the recalulation method.

Comment

Originally posted by moomin

Actually, it's Icelandic. Way, way cooler.

Comment

Micha: WTF? did someone relocate Xenobrew Inc.'s head office without my knowledge? geez, i have to pay more attention

maniac, i'm thinking of moving the Central Foreign Affairs Complex to somewhere remote and mysterious. Mt Centauri is a candidate, along with an platform in the middle of the FWC

Comment

.... eh? Why would you want to move the Foreign Affairs Complex? It belongs to me, remember?

Comment

Originally posted by TKG
                          Micha: WTF? did someone relocate Xenobrew Inc.'s head office without my knowledge? geez, i have to pay more attention
                          Actually, it´s not the head office, it´s just the Pandemonium xenobrew building...

Hm, what do you think, shall I buy more of this street artist´s stuff??? Or shall I use the money to "test" the quality of xeno inc.´s alcoholic products?
                          Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES

Comment

look, i meant INTERNAL affairs

Comment

Pro centum (Latin) -> Pour cent (French) -> Percent(ual) (English)
                              ?!

No, in French, we say "pour mille", like we say "pour cent".
                              "Just because you're paranoid doesnt mean there's not someone following me..."
                              "I shall return and I shall be billions"

Comment

Originally posted by Pandemoniak
                                No, in French, we say "pour mille", like we say "pour cent".
                                And in German it is "Promille", like it is "Prozent". Are you quite sure it doesn´t exit in English, too?

Comment

Working...
                                X