No announcement yet.

The Merchant Exchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As Ade says. When the big debate (for some)/brawl (for others) broke out between the P4 and the CCCP over this issue, I disagreed with TKG over the necessity of "maximum rate of technological progress" versus "sufficient technological progress in concert with a diversified social base."
    It ended with TKG replying to me or another with "that's not my point" and leaving it there. Agreeing to disagree like that is a result of philosophical differences about the definition of "optimum". It will be up to representatives of differing positions to convince the people however they might before such a matter is put to vote- I very much hope reason winds up carrying more weight than posturing in the course of that process.

Comment

Originally posted by TKG

just +1 energy per square. that's a LOT.
      Whatever. Anyway, forget 20% of this lot that you allocated to psy to avoid drones riot, and take out all the citizens that could be brought by +2 GROWTH. Thats still better than green, yes, but for an empire with less than 40 bases. Its perfect when you want to have 7/8 bases like Morgans loves to do, pathetic and weak. If you want to bring the whole Planet to eudaimnoia, you'll need something else than "energy".

who cares!
      really the eco damage doesnt matter. *pop*'s are good, they increase the clean mineral limit! (and you collect energy from killing the worms with empath rovers) just hope we get the manifold nexus, and cybernetic cancels it out
      Only the eight tiles around the base, actually. And you can be an evil polluter in your home, not for the Planet.

besides, who cares about mindworms when you have RESEARCH! glorious, glorious research!
      Hmm... Our fellow citizens devored by mindworms, I guess ?
      You tyrant !
      "Just because you're paranoid doesnt mean there's not someone following me..."
      "I shall return and I shall be billions"

Comment

What have I started!

Also, only the first two 'pops' are really good since nothing comes from them... after that worms, etc could just *pop* up and harass formers, etc. and really make a mess of infrastructure.
        I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

anyways, that last part was a joke. perhaps i should have included a "".

anyways, can't we just agree to disagree? i don't want to discuss this anymore. i know you view on the matter, and you know mine.

Comment

So do I, I was just pleasing FlameFlash who wanted our attention

Comment

If only we had +5 Industry...
              Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

We can agree to disagree, but that still doesn't mean the question of choosing Free Market or Planned early on is sorted out. Those that have no preference need to be swayed!

Free Market brings us energy. Energy we can spend on improving infrastructure and increasing our technological level. Early on, the damage to Planet is negligable, as production is weak. Later, when we get our first fungal pop, it signals that we must start taking measures to protect Planet. Once we've seen the fungal pop, we can reconfigure our Tree Farms and Hybrid Forests to help reduce pollution. Those Planned/Green supporters may never push Planet enough early on to get the wake-up call that triggers the ecological benefit of these facilities before they are built. Eventually, even on Green there will be pollution, while the early Free Marketeers (whether their Economics be Free Market, Planned, or Green now) will have enough Tree Farms and Hybrid Forests to clean up.

I'm not advocated a pure Free Market for centuries on end, of course. Planned economics are critical for triggering great ages of growth for our faction. Once we have the Nutrients (perhaps from Tree Farms) to feed all newcomers, Children's Creches for the next generation, and a Democractic system of government, we must switch to Planned economics for an era of unprecidented growth. Then, depending on situations, we can either switch back to our Free Market (with 10-20% Psych, enough to appease our large populations), or we can utilize our energy to begin a Golden Age, one in which the prime benefit of Free Market, the extra energy on each tile, can be had under the promotion of Wealth, even with Planned economics.

Pandemoniak argues that a Free Market would force us to allocate 20% of our energy to appeasing the people. This is not the case at all, as our bases can grow up to size 3 before the people feel ignored and begin to riot. During the early age of expansion, size 2 should be the largest we see, and a base in which we desire a Secret Project can build a Recreation Commons to satisfy the people all the way through size 6! No energy must be spent, as Pandemoniak argues.

I'm not sure what Pandemoniak is referring to by "Only the eight tiles around the base"...?

Other issues:
                ->Things to Hurry early on
                ->The choice of the Merchant Exchange secret project, even above the Human Genome Project or possibly the Weather Paradigm

Z

Comment

Originally posted by Main_Brain
                  If only we had +5 Industry...
                  why don't you ever make posts that make sense?

Z, we (the P4) plan to run planned and wealth until ~tree farms, and then switch to free market once we have the infastructure to support the drones it causes.

Comment

I'm a little confused...does ANYONE else want Free Market early? Early, when we don't have the base sizes that would make drones a problem??

I say we go Planned around Tree Farms once we have the infrastructure to support size 16 bases from a pop-boom. Hmm, we're rather opposite, aren't we ?

Z

Comment

Originally posted by Zakharov VII I'm a little confused...does ANYONE else want Free Market early?
                      nope

Originally posted by Zakharov VII
                      Hmm, we're rather opposite, aren't we ?
                      you're not the first person to have said that

Comment

Originally posted by Pandemoniak
                        So do I, I was just pleasing FlameFlash who wanted our attention
                        Thanks

Originally posted by Zakharov VII
                        I'm not sure what Pandemoniak is referring to by "Only the eight tiles around the base"...?
                        Generally 'pops' occur just within the polluting base's vicinity... meaning formers, colony pods, forests, and other improvements could fall afoul of any mind worms that pop up as well.
                        I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

My own prefernces for the economy:

First, Simple, obviously.

When we have some infrastructure established, Planned, to speed up further development, create a pop-boom and give us a leg-up on early SPs.

Once our faction has solid anti-Drone precautions in place, can use non-military units for exploration and has prepared anti-Mindworm defenses, Free Market.

Finally, once we get into the late-game, Green, using Eudemonia to keep raking in the cash. In times of war we can switch to Cybernetic to counteract the Morale hit.

Comment

I say we go Planned ASAP to get the industy & growth bonus (with a "frontier" government). With the growth & industry bonus we can expand faster, and can be pretty uber l33t even with the efficiency penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralTacticus

Finally, once we get into the late-game, Green, using Eudemonia to keep raking in the cash. In times of war we can switch to Cybernetic to counteract the Morale hit.
                              What Morale hit ? I hope we have Children Creche in all our bases long before we discover Eudaimonia !!!

Comment

GeneralTacticus, you are in the wrong party. The CDC will never allow us to go Free Market, only Planned or Green. P4 however will. If you just have a look at our first post in the P4 political thread, you will see our economic planning is exactly the same as yours:

Demo/Planned/Wealth -> Demo/Free Market/Knowledge -> Demo/Green/Knowledge/Eudaimonia

And just as you say, we keep open the possibility of going Cybernetic.
                                Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                                Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Working...
                                X