The Undecided

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maniac
    With Drogue and Jamski leaving, perhaps I should join the rank of the undecided too. That way I can wait and see if the Spartans get enough members and are active enough, and if not, join another faction.
    What's this all about? Leaving? Spartans dissolving?

Or is this just to get us interested?
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
      I doubt being a whiner would attract new members.
      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac

I doubt being a whiner would attract new members.
        You are right about that. I managed to get most of people through other ways.
        SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Voltaire - hello there! I am undecided as well, and wary of the spam and copious meta-game stuff that many factions seem to be implementing to (IMO) the detriment of the game and learning experience itself.

You could always do what I intend to do - wait until the game starts to see which faction(s) are actually getting along and playing well, as opposed to delaying the save, spamming uncontrollably and bogging everyone down in minigames.
          Very good point, I hadn't thought of this. I don't have to decide now, I can always wait and see how things develop.
          You can only curse me to eternal damnation for so long!

Comment

What's this all about? Leaving? Spartans dissolving?

Somehow I had a feeling this might happen, not the Spartans dissolving, but the drop in enthusiasm and activity. Everyone is really excited before the game beings, but once it is underway people seem to drop like flies.
            You can only curse me to eternal damnation for so long!

Comment

Originally posted by Voltaire

Somehow I had a feeling this might happen, not the Spartans dissolving, but the drop in enthusiasm and activity. Everyone is really excited before the game beings, but once it is underway people seem to drop like flies.
              It is a large time commitment if you choose to participate fully. Thats why I'm sitting this one out for now . i could join someone later but I only want to do so if I actually have the time
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

You can still join in now, just make sure you don't take any significant roles.
                Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

We could always remove one of the teams if necessary, to help keep team size large. Or we can hope, like in this game, new members are attracted.

Voltaire: It's not about activity droppign really, I look like becoming Mod, so I can't be a Spartan, and Jamski may well come back, after his NWN playing spree is over.
                  Smile
                  For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                  But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Spartans are so cool. I mean they get to run around the planet before anybody could.

Jamski's quit all his SMAC/X pbems I think Drogue.
                    Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Sign me up for 'undecided'.

I intend to join the winning team, and make it more of a winning team.

Gaia's Stepdaughters went on an indiscriminate recruiting drive, getting the wrong type of players as well as the right.
                      A Popularity faction isn't necessarily the winning faction - just ask Machiavelli.
                      My main opponent on Apolyton is also in the Gaian faction. It's unlikely that he and I could work together.
                      That, and all the RP BS - Gaians will be a spam faction.

Morgan Industries will be the best faction, if all players are equal.
                      The problem is - Morgan has a substantial minigame that will lead to decentralised management.
                      Bases all tie in together to make a faction - 'specially when you do the crawler shuffling that I do.
                      Morgan also has a -lot- of people. I prefer small factions, so we're more play-based and less spam-based.

Sparta contains the best turnplayers, and is a sensible choice. Unfortunately, it contains 4 people who dislike working with me.
                      Consider also that it's the -worst- playable faction in the ACDG3.

Angels contain a great amount of Spammers, and not as many good turnplayers as the other factions. Unless I have the power to put effort into the faction, the faction is likely to lose.

Lots of pros and cons there.
                      I evaluate:
                      Gaians and Angels are out.
                      Based on this, I'll re-read this thread and choose between Morgan and Sparta.

Comment

EDIT:
                        I read the morgan recruitment thread, and the minigame is going too far.
                        Better to try doing something else, then...

/me reads the Spartan recruitment thread
                        Last edited by Enigma_Nova; June 19, 2004, 09:11.

Comment

And I have officially joined the Spartans

(E_N: I doubt that the Morgan minigame/share-ownership game-within-a-game will go as far as the recruitment thread discusses with me out of it - I was one of the prime proponents of devolution to the nth degree ( individual base management, capitalization of the faction - and bases, with shareholder investments in each, stock options for performing managers, etc etc)

Comment

Is it just me, or is the tone of ACDG getting a little unfriendly? One can have a competitive game that is still positive, right? Or is the ACDG an exercise in blood-makes-grass-grow competitiveness?

And with regard to role-playing, I thought that was the point of the ACDG. After all, that is the main strength of SMAC/X, since it certainly isn’t game mechanics (which are easily exploited), yielding a mediocre empire game and a rather poor military game. Edit those two out and all you have left is using the game mechanics to affect the faction play style via role-playing.

Hydro

Comment

Originally posted by Hydro
                              Is it just me, or is the tone of ACDG getting a little unfriendly? One can have a competitive game that is still positive, right? Or is the ACDG an exercise in blood-makes-grass-grow competitiveness?
                              Hydro, you are taking EN too seriously.
                              And with regard to role-playing, I thought that was the point of the ACDG. After all, that is the main strength of SMAC/X, since it certainly isn’t game mechanics (which are easily exploited), yielding a mediocre empire game and a rather poor military game. Edit those two out and all you have left is using the game mechanics to affect the faction play style via role-playing.
                              Roleplay is the main strength of ACDG. It is just EN, who was already kicked a couple of times from such manifestations. It is him alone. Victory would be welcome, but fun is our priority.
                              SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by obstructor
                                Victory would be welcome, but fun is our priority.
                                Hear hear!

Going for the win is great, and expect us to do that, but not at the expense of fun, friendship or finances (I really can't think of a better third "f" )

Googlie, we're saddened by your leaving, but wish you well in the spartan faction. Just don't pass on all our best secrets!
                                Play hangman.

Comment

Working...
                                X