X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there "distortion" in the game?

Comment

Originally posted by wodan11 View Post
      That analogy doesn't make sense. In context, we would be taking about two different sexual positions, not protected sex vs unprotected sex.
      No, you said that taking an idea to a greater extreme necessarily implies something about the original idea. Which is false. And the one statement is basically the other taken to a greater extreme, so the analogy works. If you prefer, try "eat nothing with calories" instead of "eat less than 2500 calories a day."

Honestly, any tile-based system is counter-intuitive and clumsy.
      Agreed, more or less, but the squares are less clumsy to my POV because, like MxM, I think in terms of NSEW. And Civ traditionally relies on tiles for all sorts of purposes, so pitching tiles altogether would be a fundamental reworking (grassland terrain produces two food per...?). Perhaps ideally, movement would be liberated from tiles but they would stay for other purposes. So, for example, your horsemen can move fifty miles per turn measured within tiles, and they have the ability to intercept intruders on their tile, or something like that? I'm just throwing out ideas here.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Why have tiles at all? Just plop units on a map.

Comment

Thought of that, but that would make city production and terrain improvements rather more dicey.
          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Because you have to quantify everything in a TBG...
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Starcraft seems to do just fine without a grid overlay, square OR hex.

....speaking of. I may be busy for a while.

Comment

Starcraft is real time, not turn based though. You need certain increments you can move if the game is turn based.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                  I assume the black splotches on the mini-map are city-states.
                  They must be.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by MxM View Post
                    In hexes all 6 directions are accurate
                    Fixed.
                    Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Starcraft seems to do just fine without a grid overlay, square OR hex.

....speaking of. I may be busy for a while.
                      I am pretty shure that there is a grid in StarCraft although there is no option to play with the grid visible (and possibly little need to do that)

Tiles are essential in civ as we know it however because cites occupy tiles, resources occupy tiles, cities can work a certein number of tiles, borders form along tiles, etc. So there needs to be sqares or hexes or some other uniform tiling for all these things to work.

And since spheres cannot be uniformely tiled we will probably never see a true sphereical map in Civ. (not that this is very important)

I also find squares to be somewhat aestheticaly more pleasing than hexes. With hexes everything seems to be too round.
                      Quendelie axan!

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                        Why doesn't 2k post on our board?
                        I sent Greg an PM asking him just that question.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Og View Post
                          Tiles are essential in civ as we know it however because cites occupy tiles, resources occupy tiles, cities can work a certein number of tiles, borders form along tiles, etc. So there needs to be sqares or hexes or some other uniform tiling for all these things to work.
                          It is, therefore it must be? Come on.

Comment

I have actually thought about that. And I could not come up with a better system to represent these things.
                            How can you represent resources and link them with the world map without being able to clearly define and separate them. Give an example of doing that without the help of some sort of a grid.
                            Quendelie axan!

Comment

It is, therefore it must be? Come on.
                              The "must" comes from the computer architecture, so it's not circular. A PC isn't designed to handle non-discrete math. You can make the hexes small enough to map them to screen pixels or close to that (it's already being done for terrain graphics in some games), but you can't completely remove the underlying grid.
                              Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Originally posted by Modo44 View Post
                                The "must" comes from the computer architecture, so it's not circular. A PC isn't designed to handle non-discrete math. You can make the hexes small enough to map them to screen pixels or close to that (it's already being done for terrain graphics in some games), but you can't completely remove the underlying grid.
                                That is somewhat gratuitous logic.

Decreasing grid size to approach or equal pixel (or memory location) size is effectively removing the underlying grid from the human's perspective.

Comment

Working...
                                X