No announcement yet.

Strategic View

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They may end up that way, but as you can see from the first map, they are all still there very early in the game, it is very unlikely that they were all conquered at that point. City-states can be conquered or protected or traded with, I'm guessing that however they are handled by the major powers doesn't change how they look on the mini-map.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Why doesn't 2k post on our board?
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
        Why doesn't 2k post on our board?
        I believe they have a grand total of 3 people covering the 2K boards and the Civ5 site. Presumably they feel they get more bang for their buck by posting at CFC.

Comment

:wiglaf:

Comment

Lets face it CFC is the de facto official Civ site. I like it better that way though.

Their on topic is a lot "noisier" with all the kids posting the same things over and over again.

Old people like things a bit slower and quieter.
            Quendelie axan!

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Og View Post
              Lets face it CFC is the de facto official Civ site. I like it better that way though.

Their on topic is a lot "noisier" with all the kids posting the same things over and over again.

Im about the same age as you, and yeah I like the slower pace of it here we need a cocoa before bedtime forum
              Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                But that jagged hexagonal coastline looks much more natural than a jagged square coastline...
                That's really minor improvement (even if there is one) compared with the ugliness of the map. I want my squares back!
                The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
                certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
                -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                  They may end up that way, but as you can see from the first map, they are all still there very early in the game, it is very unlikely that they were all conquered at that point. City-states can be conquered or protected or traded with, I'm guessing that however they are handled by the major powers doesn't change how they look on the mini-map.
                  Good point. I didn't look too closely at the minimap myself.

Comment

I want hexes!

Comment

I want octagons.

Comment

Originally posted by MxM View Post
                        That's really minor improvement (even if there is one) compared with the ugliness of the map. I want my squares back!
                        You WANT distortion? Foolishness

I want octagons.

Can't make a planar graph out of regular octagons.

I want hexes!

And you're getting hexes, is there an issue here?

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Og View Post

CFC is awful. So full of teenagers

But it really is awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                            But that jagged hexagonal coastline looks much more natural than a jagged square coastline, and doesn't distort the map at all! Just like the real world, all peninsulas and bays are bulbous and lumpy.
                            Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                            You WANT distortion? Foolishness
                            What distortion? Plane can be covered with squares without any distortions. The units could move differently, if you want to have more accurate distance movement for the units. Diagonal move could be counted as 1.5.
                            Plus, hexagons are not without distance problems as well. They are OK only in 6 directions.
                            -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by MxM View Post
                              What distortion?
                              Distance distortion. The one you want to "go around" by introducing some arbitrary rules for diagonal movement (i.e. more distortion). The one you keep ignoring, or maybe failing to understand.
                              Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Originally posted by Modo44 View Post
                                Distance distortion. The one you want to "go around" by introducing some arbitrary rules for diagonal movement (i.e. more distortion). The one you keep ignoring, or maybe failing to understand.
                                I have said several times, that this problem would disappear if you count diagonal move as 1.5 distance - it is simpler and more accurate solution than going to hexagons, and still be on squares.
                                -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...
                                X