Strategic View

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategic View

2K publishes titles in today's most popular gaming genres, including shooters, action, role-playing, strategy, sports, casual, and family entertainment.

I am very excited to reveal some screenshots of a really cool feature in Civilization V that has not been shown anywhere else. I present to you "Strategic View."

What is it, you say? Strategic View allows you to view your empire in a very clean, easy-to-read fashion. By default, each hex has icons for special resources, improvements, and any units in the tile. You can also customize the view by selecting only a single icon to be shown. So, if you want to get an overall view of how your military units are deployed, you can turn on the option to only show units and see the information you need without any extra noise.

In addition, you can enable different "overlays" in Strategic View to make it even easier to find what you need. For example, turning on the "unit type" overlay to have each hex colored based on if the unit in its square is melee, ranged, artillery, and so on.

Check out the screenshots below for examples of how this awesome feature looks in the early, middle, and late game and post your questions and comments about Strategic View in the Civilization V 2K Forums

Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

I assume the black splotches on the mini-map are city-states.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Hexes get annoyingly ugly really fast.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
        That appears to be the case judging by Vienna in the second screen shot. There seems to be quite a few of them!

Comment

Oslo is a Maritime city-state (steering wheel to right of name). It appears that the black icons are the non-resource worked hexes.

Square tiles have been ugly & irritating since the day I discovered Civ2 (mid 1990s). Hex grids have been beautiful since the late 1960s.

Tactics II in 1964 had a square grid, but I didn't know any better back then.
          Give it time, DaShi, give it time.

Comment

Yeah... Tactics II was one of the rare Avalon Hill games with squares. Most had Hexes, and I was glad for that.

It's about time Civ went to hexes!!!!!!!
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
              Hexes get annoyingly ugly really fast.
              But that jagged hexagonal coastline looks much more natural than a jagged square coastline, and doesn't distort the map at all! Just like the real world, all peninsulas and bays are bulbous and lumpy.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Zoomed in, hexes look great. Zoomed out... yikes.
                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

The truth of it is, imposing maps onto a tessellation of any kind will inevitably distort them, so appeals to prettiness don't work.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Returning to the thread topic...

If this is what replaces the 'Globe View' from Civ IV, then it looks good to me. That globe view was of limited usefulness, and just plain awkward, to me.

Comment

Yea, I agree. The next question is whether we can interact with the map from the strategic view. It looks like all the information is presented there as on a regular map, it is just abstracted. One annoyance with the Civ4 Globe View is that it was pretty much just eye candy and nothing you could manipulate so it was generally useless in the game. If we could move units and enter cities from this strategic view it'd be awesome.

Comment

It reminds me of the civ I map.
                        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Yea, I agree. The next question is whether we can interact with the map from the strategic view. It looks like all the information is presented there as on a regular map, it is just abstracted. One annoyance with the Civ4 Globe View is that it was pretty much just eye candy and nothing you could manipulate so it was generally useless in the game. If we could move units and enter cities from this strategic view it'd be awesome.

From Strategic View!! Screenshots! @ CFC, post #109.

Originally posted by 2K Greg
                          I really regret forgetting to put that in the article! Yes, the game is completely playable in this view (I personally spend most of my time in this view) and one of the coolest parts about it is that yes, the video card does a lot less work while in this view.

Comment

Fantastic!

Yea, I expect I'll be using that view quite a lot then. Yay Firaxis! Thanks Jon!

Comment

Given the number and placement, some people have speculated that a couple of those might be conquered cities with puppet governments.

Comment

Working...
                              X