CFC vs. Poly - WW2 Strat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC vs. Poly - WW2 Strat thread

This thread is for the Poly to to stratagize in. Others are more than welcome to look in and contribute, but please
    if you are from CFC, please read no further.

We will be posting pictures and so forth that is tantamount to cheating if revealed to the other team, so please do not discuss this game outside the appropriate threads.

Thank you.

--GK
    If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Here were some initial thoughts/questions for the Allies:

* I have three SWs that I can build... FP seems not worthwhile, but Intel Agency and Battlefield Med might be good. Build now, or later as I get more units deployed from the West Coast?

* The scenario starts with most cities building MG Battalions... switch to primarily naval and air units for now? Is there some coordination to be done in terms of military production? For instance, what if I stick to air and sea units, China - offensive land, Commonwealth - defensive land, and Netherlands... uh, Paddy, you look screwed.

* The following resource trades make sense for me to offer on this turn:
    To China: Fur, Spices
    From China: Silks
    To Netherlands: Iron, Furs, Gems

* I cannot tell if any of you have techs that I do not... obviously, we should all share whatever we currently have. In terms of research, I can choose between:
    Airborne Warfare
    Advanced Flight
    Armored Tactics
    Naval Tactics
    Amphib Warfare

Thoughts? Which of us should research which? I can easily do a 4-turn pace, btw... if anyone CANNOT, please speak up.

* I do not readily see the Japanese fleet... obviously, we need to share such intel ASAP!!

* What is the best overarching strategy in this scenario? Gain control of the seas? Go right for Tokyo?

Those are my thoughts for the moment.
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Here were GK's initial thoughts:

HI. I am out of town, and will be until monday or tuesday, w/o civ. Sorry. Advice - build lots of BB, Destroyers, some carriers, marines, and airplaines. Lots of airplains. Tanks are good on mainland areas, but cannot attack amphib. Max out tech and share everything, you can spair to everybody else - lux, etc. Airplains can kill ships, so make sure to scout with your fighters. Subs can pick their targets, so aim for the destroyers and transports. Destroyers can transport 1 unit, making them mini transports. One DS with a marine can cause havic, so be ware. Nobody starts with marines IIRC, so research that way. US gains a huge research advantage, so max it out. If you run a deficit, we can make it ups. The game generally is decided in the first 4 turns, depending on how badly Japan can hurt Hawaii, and how much of of the US air fleet remains to counter attack. Go after their carriers, and expect losses. If you have a city that is about to be sacked, sell off everything but culture. If you have a turn or two to prepare, make it a strong hold, sell off everything but barracks, culture, and defensive units and airports (to offer reinforcement IIRC) America should rush airports in hawaii and other defensible places to make unit transport that much easier. Most other cities need to rush production and gold improvements at first. That is all I can remember. Tell people what you are researching in the thread, so we can coordinate. We should open a thread in the strat forum to post screenshots for eachothers intel. US should try and get to manhatten project and build it with a GL, then nuke the hell out of japan if we are still playing.
      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

Feel free to chime in!!

Comment

Not that this group needs it, but I'll be following this game, and offer my services as an advisor. Very interesting setup.
          Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Research amphib warfare. Marines are a key in this game, and the sooner we get them, the better off we are. Japan starts off with some marine units, but I do not remember if they have the tech to make more right a way.

If you see a marine, do your best to kill it. All these little islands are easy to defend, except from marines and air. And the island is still yours unless he lands a marine, so those are our priority targets.

Japan lacks the long term ability to produce shields. That is how we kill him.
            If you're interested in participating in the first Civ 5 Community Game then please visit: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/forum.php

Comment

Ah, here's the thread!

I sugest having China beelining first for Light Tanks and next for Medium Tanks. (China will benifit the most from this techs)

US belining towards the Atomic Bomb, prefering air units on those two paths.

UK first researching Amp Tactics for Marines. Next research something useful for the US that's outside that beeline.

As for the Dutch, maybe they can afford Naval Tactics if played by a human? If not, maybe the cheapest tech?

And all allies granting each other the techs for free as they discover them. (US would highly benifit from the Small Wonder allowed by Naval Tactics)

Also, China & Dutch should probably mobilize on turn 1.

With three or four techs being researched at a time instead of just one, we should have a major tech advantage by turn 12.

Also remember the scoring rules. If your going to lose a city, starve it down first to reduce the points Japan gains. (100 points per citizen.) Conversely if your confident you can take an enemy city without bombarding it, don't. (Exception if your bombarding it down to size 1 so it will auto-raize)

Expensive units with little defense inadquently protected also call out to be attacked.
              Last edited by joncnunn; October 3, 2004, 14:58.
              1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
              Templar Science Minister
              AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

I will be spending the first turn popping out workers, and then switching to military units.

Go through all your cities, and sell off anything you will not need. For example, San Fran probably doesn't need a barracks as it will be making ships only.... stuff like that.

Comment

Air power and Marines are most important in this scenario. I forget how many Transports America starts with at the beginning, but I don't think it's very many. Those 3 should be priorities early on.

And try not to lose too many capital ships.

Comment

More on China, I agree initally that it should concentrate on defensive land units, but once they get light tanks, build those instead. (And when they get medium tanks, build those)

China could use a few more workers, but not too many, and be sure to only build them where they wouldn't waste a lot of shields.

US can build some land units on the front line cities via cash rushing.
                    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                    Templar Science Minister
                    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
                      US can build some land units on the front line cities via cash rushing.
                      What do you mean by 'front line cities'?

Thanks for the tips, all!!

Comment

As in Manila, Davao, etc.

Comment

indeed - also some airports - gets the units out there from the states so so much faster
                          Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                          I am of the Horde.

Comment

How important are the 'stepping stones' anyway?

I am a little confused, btw: What kind of victory are we going for? Do points matter?

Again, how do people feel about screenies and intensive strat discussion here, or should we keep to email?

Comment

Some of us would enjoy havin it here
                              Or at least being added to the e-mail list...
                              "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
                              -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Working...
                              X