No announcement yet.

Sid games C3C: how to improve our skills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You say you sent a boy to do a mans job (yup), no problem.

I did not follow the rule of sending enough units to take the city. I sent too many arties and defenders. So I used my ships to surround all the water tiles and my armies to cut of the land access and ground them down.

It was a pain though. I have augmented the forces with some tanks now and will heal and punish.
    Attached Files

Comment

• The settings: 1.22, large edited map, 5 billions, warm, wet. Barbarians sedentary, aggressiveness lowest. Spain vs. Celts, Aztecs, Arabia, Inca, Zulus, China, Egypt, Maya.

Editor: added a second fur and a wheat on the home island. All civs separated by 3 ocean tiles (with a few exceptions). All civs ‘pre-positioned’ on the map except the Maya (random). No tinkering with resources or luxuries.

Some highlights (to compare games):

410 BC: Glibrary
      50 AD: Republic
      250 AD: new Palace
      300 AD: Medieval Times
      370 AD: FP
      670 AD: Sun Tsu
      890 AD: Knights Templar & Leo
      1130 AD: Copernicus
      1220 AD: Magellan & GA
      1290 AD: Smith Trading Co.
      1420 AD: Newton University
      1475 AD: Industrial Ages
      1730 AD: Universal Suffrage
      1754 AD: ToE
      1778 AD: Hoover Dam
      1802 AD: Battle Medecine
      1812 AD: Wall Street
      1954 AD: 100’000 cultural
      1984 AD: United Nations and diplomatic vctory.

Yes, this is a Sid game and not a Warlord one.

Now, before I give away some ‘spoilers’ about how I managed it, I’ll post the 4000 BC save and you can try it. Let’s see if it was a ‘freak’ win or if this kind of settings will lead to more victories from you.
      Attached Files
      The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian

That is because you had a rival with at least 1/2 of your culture. If you reach 100k culture, and you have a rival with 50k or more, you don't win.

-Arrian
        See, even I have still something to learn... Good that I didn't stop and decided to go for a diplo win
        Last edited by Mountain Sage; May 3, 2004, 06:59.

Comment

• The game is realy dragging on. I am in the modern era and have eliminated Aztecs. That is the only civ to die so far.

I just hit the Arabs and razed a city and founded my own. They have 248 pikes, 50 long bows, 12 rifles, 1 galleon and 251 medinf.

No workers at all and hence never railed the land, even though they have coal. I am guessing they are at the max that they can pay for right now. They had only 8 cities.

I helped them by making it 7 cities and no galleons, 198 pikes, 43 lb, 20 rifles (now they could upgrade a few) and 210 MI.

I cut all the roads nearby with bombers and destroyers. I have not landed a large party. 18 transports with 10 armies and mostly tanks and arties. If they do as they normally have, they will send in attackers for the new city. It has 2 mechinf armies and lots of tanks. If it looks like it could get ugly I will move in 3 more infantry armies and a tank army.

I won't pillage as I want the land improvements. The tricky part if to settle the new cities so as to not expose any places for other civs to land.

Used my 21st mgl to rush an airport to contact.

Comment

• China is still ahead in score and land and pop, but I am closing in.

Funny thing is I have 13K culture in my capitol and could win via the 20k. I have enough empire culture to hold off any loss that way.

The space ship is the issue. China has the early part and I am building them. I have a bit more than twice their production in my capitol so I can just beat them in builds.

I aced them in recent wonders by using an extra tile and being one turn faster.

We both have nukes. America is not very strong, but has about 1200 troops! More than even China (700) and Egypt (800). This likely due to Demo vs Facism.

I have 4 luxs and China has 2 I don't and Egypt 1 and US 1.

I have been 50 turning for Ecology and have 12 or 13 turns to go. I hope China stays on the lower track. I cannot do anything for research. I am thinking of going Commie here. I do not need to do anything as I will probably not go after anyone else and have about 16K. I will hang till I get Eco or China does, whichever comes first.

Anyone know if I will still generate culture will I switch?

Comment

• So, only 1 download so far. I understand therefore that only 1 player is interested in winning at Sid...
              Am I correct?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Sage
                So, only 1 download so far. I understand therefore that only 1 player is interested in winning at Sid...
                Am I correct?
                Don’t be discouraged oh sage one. I, for instance, am interested but am busy closing in on a Sid finish of my own but turns take forever if you’re not playing builder. I am interested in hearing about your solutions if you’re ready to post them. I’ll download and take a look at your map and see if my guesses about your game are correct.

Edit; Is your game 1.22? My 1.15b gave error reading when I tried to open it.
                Last edited by Drachen; May 6, 2004, 12:20.
                The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

Anatole France

Comment

• Yes he is at 1.22.

MS I have beaten Sid with a non warmonger strategy. By that I mean, I did not generate massive armies to smash other civs as you see in SirPlebs game.

I just could not face another island game on a huge map at Sid, right now. Watching hundreds of unit slam into your city is tedious. Building up lots of ships to haul units over to another island gets painful after a time.

I space shiped the game, but could have won with culture (20K). I could have gone for Dom or Conquest, but that would have taken a life time.

Looking forward to your report.

Comment

• Drachen,

Go ahead with your guesses and I'll let you know if they are correct. I prefer not to give away any 'secrets' yet, since I'd like to have them confirmed by somebody who played the game the same style.
                    Don't you worry, those 'secrets' will not be licensed!

Comment

• vmxa1, how can you get a 20k culture victory at sid?

at best one can get 1 single ancient wonder and of the medieval ones probably max. 3 if lucky. imho sistine's is out of the race except with a perfect prebuild (speculating, when you're going to get theology from the GL) and probably shakespeare's (8 culture) is quite possible. but how on earth can you manage 20000 culture points in one city?

i'll have a go at this new game when i find time. so far i gave up all huge games because of tediosity, but i guess this is my only chance ever in getting far at sid level
                      - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                      - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

• im gunna give ur save a go starting at the weekend MS.

this will be my first attempt at Sid. started earlier this week but spent 2 hours restarting untill i got a start i was happy with, never did get that start i was looking for.

Comment

• Originally posted by sabrewolf
                          vmxa1, how can you get a 20k culture victory at sid?

at best one can get 1 single ancient wonder and of the medieval ones probably max. 3 if lucky.
                          You should read my thread more carefully.
                          My capital almost got 20'000 K (I would have got them if I had gone for the space race) and I got all medieval and modern wonders except Sistine....

Comment

• Yes I normally would expect to get only the GL and if I have Ivory the SoZ from ancient times.

Middle Ages would be even worse and I may get none if things go poorly, but I hope for at least 1.

I did much better in Ancient as I got MoM as well as the normal two. I got Smiths only in Middle ages and I was close to a few others.

I got Manhatttan, Seti, Internet and Apollo as well.

None of those were big culture contributors as they were so late.

Here is the break down:

Palace 1
                            Temple 2
                            Lib 3
                            Cath 3
                            Uni 4
                            Colosseum 2
                            Lab 2
                            GL 6
                            Smith 3
                            Manhat 2
                            Seti 3
                            Internet 4
                            SoZ 4
                            MoM 2
                            Pentagon 1
                            Wall St 2
                            Apollo 2
                            IA 1

Don't forget the 1000 years doubling. In the end I was getting 74 per turn. Egypt was second in city level. China was nearly double my empire level, but I was gain a handful of points every turn, so they could not get there.

Not that I build the small wonders in the same city to gain the extra culture. I was forced to do a few elsewhere.

Comment

• The main thing is that Egypt got two early wonders and a few others were grabbed by other civs. This allowed China to have large overall culture from the number of cities it had and its getting most of the wonders.

It prevented Egypt from become the single city power that it would have, since it could not get any wonders after the first two.

China spread its wonders over a several cities and lost the boost. This let me become the the number one city with most everything concentrated in the capitol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Sage
                                Drachen,

Go ahead with your guesses and I'll let you know if they are correct. I prefer not to give away any 'secrets' yet, since I'd like to have them confirmed by somebody who played the game the same style.
                                Don't you worry, those 'secrets' will not be licensed!
                                Hey MS;

I think I'd like to take a look at your map before I do too much guessing and until I load 1.22 that's not gonna happen. I'm looking forward to your report though since I can't really see how you got all those middle age wonders if there was anywhere near a normal distribution of good ground.
                                The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

Anatole France

Comment

Working...
                                X