Civilizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilizations

So now with the addition of Conquests, we have 31 (32) civilizations to play around with.

Europe:

Greece
    Rome
    England
    France
    Germany
    Russia
    Celts
    Vikings
    Spain
    Netherlands
    Portugal
    Austria (not playable w/o editing)

Asia:

China
    Japan
    India
    Mongolia
    Korea

Middle East:

Babylon
    Persia
    Arabia
    Ottoman Turks
    Hittites
    Sumer
    Byantines

Africa:
    Egypt
    Zululand
    Carthage

America
    America
    Iroquois
    Aztecs
    Incans
    Mayans

I remember back when we were all complaining before Civ3 came out, when it only had 16 civilizations. We were all whining that it didn't have this or that civ., and now it looks like things are pretty well rounded out. What do you think?
    The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
    "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
    "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
    The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

There is definitely a wide choice. In fact, I can't figure out which civ is my favorite!
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Call to Power, eat your heart out!

They thought they were better with all of their extra civilizations and moving units.

But really, who could take seriously any civ game with things like a Jamaica civilization and Plasmatica units?

Now, with fully upgraded Civilization3, what we knew all the long has been proved again:

SID MEIER'S CIVILIZATION SERIES IS THE BEST CIVILIZATION GAMING SERIES!
      "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
      "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
      The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Now all we need is a couple of alien races and a mysterious undersea race and we're in business...

Comment

Aliens. That's mildly amusing. But hmm... I guess they couldn't include them with the 31 limit in the programming, huh.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander01
            Call to Power, eat your heart out!

True dat. The other thing with CtP was that you never felt any real differences in all of the races they offered. However, CtP is a totally different interpretation of the Civ genre. I enjoyed that game but C3C will definately be taking up most of my time now.
            signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

But really, who could take seriously any civ game with things like a Jamaica civilization and Plasmatica units?
              Me. I like that stuff.

Haven’t played much of the epic game in C3C yet, just a handful of turns, but it is turning out to be quite a game.
              "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

Well, to each his own.

Personally, I found CtP a bit awkward to play. It just got more and more lackluster and difficult to control as the game went on.

And I really couldn't get into my Japanese Legions fighting enemy Roman samurai.

Sigh.

That's what Civ3 is for.

Comment

I could think of at least 64 good civs. We're definitely missing some good ones: Poland, Austria-Hungary, Mali, Ethiopia, Apache, Siam, Indonesia, Israel, Polynesia, Souix, Tibet.

However, this is miles away from Civ II, which didn't have the Incas or the Arabs or the Koreans and all those really good civs.
                  "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Well, I agree. We are missing several other good civilizations. But we DO have a much greater selection than before. We've got all of the old Civ2 civs with the exception of the Sioux, whose place was taken by the Iroqouis. You can now have ALL the civs playing at the same time. You can have the Vikings, Germans, and French all at the same time, without the "they're-all-blue-so-only-one-at-a-time" problem.

And there's a much greater slice out of the world demographics available. I, for one, never anticipated seeing the Hittites, for example.

And most of the major "empire" contenders are all there, which satisfies the majority.

All-in-all, a superb game. Leaps and bounds over the competition.

Comment

Ah... it's so nice to be able to bask in the glory of Civ3...

Comment

I do hope they get rid of that 31-civ hardcoded limit, though. I'm not a programmer, so I don't know how hard that might be. But how hard could it be?

I like Conquests a lot, but there's a lot of good civs missing: the list above was fairly good. Aside from the Zulu, Africa is empty (not counting North Africa, which is missing the Berbers), and Asia is way too sparse. In my opinion, North America could use some more... and WHERE the hell is Israel?

All in all though, most pleasing. Most pleasing indeed.
                        You can't fight in here! This is the WAR room!

Comment

I concur. Israel may be a "small" culture by the standards of the more mundane historians, but if you account for the effect they've had on almost all the other world civilizations, their influence is tremendous!

For example, the Christian religion/culture which represents a large portion of the global population can be traced back to one spectacular Jew, Jesus of Nazareth. Look at how many people value the Bible/Tanakh as a holy book!

Also not to mention the important role of Judaism, as well as the fact that through the Diaspora, Jews are virtually omnipresent in the world today.

Though I can see the point in Civ3 of not being able to accurately represent all of these things in a game, I would still like to see some Israelites. Perhaps in some future expansion, if we're lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Yahweh Sabaoth
                            I do hope they get rid of that 31-civ hardcoded limit, though. I'm not a programmer, so I don't know how hard that might be. But how hard could it be?

I like Conquests a lot, but there's a lot of good civs missing: the list above was fairly good. Aside from the Zulu, Africa is empty (not counting North Africa, which is missing the Berbers), and Asia is way too sparse. In my opinion, North America could use some more... and WHERE the hell is Israel?

All in all though, most pleasing. Most pleasing indeed.
                            hi ,

wanna bet loads of people would complain that they need to buy an other comp , .......

have a nice day
                            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

You can now have ALL the civs playing at the same time. You can have the Vikings, Germans, and French all at the same time, without the "they're-all-blue-so-only-one-at-a-time" problem.
                              Do I understand this correctly?!?

Can we play 31 civ's in one game?!?!?

COOOOLLLLL

Comment

Working...
                              X