Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaders through the Ages III: Back with a vengeance!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boris,

I think the Hittites are as good as. No one else had a great leader named Mursilis as far as I know.

As for the Sumerians, actually, Gilgamesh was a real Sumerian leader, King of Uruk in 2700 BC. He wasn't a particularly good king, actually, if the records left by the Babylonians are correct, but he was still a genuine king all the same. So, he's rather more Sumerian that Sargon of Akkad, who was a bit too northern.
    Empire growing,
    Pleasures flowing,
    Fortune smiles and so should you.

Comment

Gilgamesh actually made king, did he? I knew he was from the Age of Heroes, but didn't know he'd actually been a king.

Sargon kicked arse, however, and was perhaps history's first known empire-builder. And his name is cool.

Sure, he was Akkadian, but close enough! He certainly was a more important ruler than Gilgamesh was!

Hmmm, maybe they just should have gone with Zaggesi!
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by History Guy
        Elden,

You're right about Mursilis, but I don't think so where Gilgamesh is concerned. How many ancient Sumerians ran around dressed like that? It's too medieval. Besides, that isn't the same background.
        Look at the picture of Hannibal at http://www.civ3.com/ptw_prof_carth.cfm then look at Gilgamesh again or better yet at his larger preview in the Conquests screenshots section at civ3.com, after doing that tell me they are not the same.
        Unfairly Banned at Civfanatics twice...
        To protest the war I am using the UN Flag - Howard has said most Australians are for the war so clearly I am not an Aussie.

Comment

Alright, everybody with me here:

Sargon can't be the Sumerian leader because Sargon was an Akkadian.

And the Akkadian Empire is entirely different from the Sumerian Empire, blah blah blah. You get the picture.

Still, it's going to be odd having the Sumerians, Babylonians, Persians, AND Arabs in effectively the same place.

Comment

Originally posted by Elden

Look at the picture of Hannibal at http://www.civ3.com/ptw_prof_carth.cfm then look at Gilgamesh again or better yet at his larger preview in the Conquests screenshots section at civ3.com, after doing that tell me they are not the same.
            they are not the same

(OK, they are... )

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Nakar Gabab
              Alright, everybody with me here:

Sargon can't be the Sumerian leader because Sargon was an Akkadian.

And the Akkadian Empire is entirely different from the Sumerian Empire, blah blah blah. You get the picture.
              This is quibbling. It is like saying James I can't be considered an English king because he was from Scotland.

Sargon was from Akkad, but he ruled over Sumeria for 54 years, which was quite a hefty timespan. And I doubt Akkad was that much culturally different from Sumeria, although they were Semitic peoples.

Considering the liberties they take with other rulers (Joan of Arc, Hannibal), having Sargon as their ruler wouldn't be inappropriate, and it would be recognizing history's first great conqueror. It would seem to me more appropriate than Gilgamesh, who never ruled over all of Sumeria, but was just the king of one city-state.
              Last edited by Boris Godunov; May 22, 2003, 10:01.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Yes, but Gilgamesh has a way cooler name
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                  Yes, but Gilgamesh has a way cooler name
                  I don't think so. Compared to Sargon? Sargon sounds powerful--it sounds like a great leader, someone Tolkien would have invented.

Gilgamesh sounds like a topping for falafel.
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Elden, it isn't the same. Look closer, there is clearly an ocean behind Hannibal. Behind Gilgamesh, there is clearly...a wall! They are not the same.

Boris, you are right, but only based on other leader choices from the game. Otherwise, I'd have to disagree.
                    Empire growing,
                    Pleasures flowing,
                    Fortune smiles and so should you.

Comment

Good to see this thread is alive and kicking. Anyways, I'm not going to be able to update this until i am reunited with my computer (it'll be a few weeks).

Comment

Elden, it isn't the same. Look closer, there is clearly an ocean behind Hannibal. Behind Gilgamesh, there is clearly...a wall! They are not the same.
                        The wall is also there for Hannibal.
                        To protest the war I am using the UN Flag - Howard has said most Australians are for the war so clearly I am not an Aussie.

Comment

You have improved your layout alot since the first thread. It's interesting to see how all these speculation threads return...

And the background is the same.
                          Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Elden is right.

cheers
                            Attached Files

Comment

Elden is right.
                              I'm glad I didn't make a mistake but I hope they haven't recycled any other leaderheads.
                              Last edited by Elden; November 9, 2003, 01:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Elden

I'm glad I didn't make a mistake but I hope they haven't recycled any other leaderheads.
                                i think this is a temporary background until they make up something unique

cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X