No announcement yet.

A study of Hut Outcomes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have seen it (never at raging), but don't recall ever playing at huts only - so I doubt your conclusion York

Stu
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

• I believe the abandoned village response fills the barb outcome slot when you have chosen to play at no barbs level. Since we all have played raging hoards level for so many years, this kind of question is like a trivia stumper.

Sadly, the RtFM response fails here as the manual is silent on this one (one??) topic.

Monk
      so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

• But there isn't a "no barbs" level. The least you can have (from the set-up options, at least) is hut-only barbs.

[edit]OK, I was just being pedantic about the wording - you can't play ordinary Civ 2 without the barbs. Thanks to everyone below who noticed this, agreed with me, and special bonus points to BM, for pointing out the +1 aspect, although he didn't rush to mention all the other +1ers (see below for details) [/edit]
        Last edited by duke o' york; January 27, 2004, 12:01.

Comment

• Never seen at raging or restless (or wrath). Never played at less. I always thought it was a scenario-only option.
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

• Originally posted by duke o' york
            But there isn't a "no barbs" level. The least you can have (from the set-up options, at least) is hut-only barbs.
            I think that's what he was referring to.
            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

• It does occur at restless tribes also. Those of us who also play at CFC see it occasionally.

A first hypothesis would be that there is a percentage of weeds from 0 (raging) to 100 (no barbs) which occurs in the slot reserved for barbarians.

Comment

• Originally posted by duke o' york
                But there isn't a "no barbs" level. The least you can have (from the set-up options, at least) is hut-only barbs.
                Hut-only means no barbs; but you knew that. Since the sentence was about barbs and hut outcomes....

But you knew that too. Nice +1 though.

Monk
                so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

• (always fun to stir up the RCCers...)

I bring it up because I got one recently: GOTM 36 at CFC, settings Diety difficulty, Restless Barbs. Don't recall the exact year, but it sent me back to Samson's thread to see if he had a probability.

My gut feeling is that it is related to the Barb level, with very low chance at Raging (perhaps 0?), increasing chance as Barb level is lowered. Don't have enough data to speculate on difficulty level. Anyone want to test that out?

Comment

• Perhaps 0
                    Definately 0 at Raging. No one has ever gotten one in a RAH rules game. (of course they're all played at deity too) There have been over 1000 RAH rules games.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• And you remember them all? Guess you are not as old as you make out...

Seriously, though, that was my suspicion but I have learned the wisdom of not making definitive pronouncements without overwhelming data. Sounds like you have it.

Comment

• I thought I'd seen it at Deity - but that was long ago and in another country so perhaps my memory is failing.

RJM at Sleeper's
                        Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

• Originally posted by Elephant
                          And you remember them all? Guess you are not as old as you make out...
                          Naw, still old. For me, getting an empty village is just a reminder that I agreed to play in a game at less than raging. Always annoying.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I once got a series of empty huts. Five or six of them in a row. I was soooo pissed!

The level was definitely deity, though I can't remember if it was restless or raging, cause I was playing restless with my friends before we switched to raging a couple of months ago.

And in HOTW4 I got a couple of empty huts, but the barbarian level was villages only, contrary to my suggestions (barbarian wrath). Deity hates barbs so we had to reduce their aggressiveness level for him.

Comment

• wow, that's an excellent analysis
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• The standard response was always difficulty level doesn't matter, just the barb level. It definitely does not appear on Deity/raging as many have said.

The rest may be an ever repeated belief with no testing, but wasn't there somethine in (William?) Keegan's barb paper on this?

Comment

Working...
                                X