No announcement yet.

New "Ancient Empires" PBEM created

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sure we can do much better now that vacation season is over.

Of course, computer screw-up season is year-around…
    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

• Speaking of game speed, this idiot messed up 2 turns back but didn't notice until now. I officially blame the lengthy delays, not my own lack of intelligence etc.

I was to use CivDip to restore the WoW production lost due to Asshur's construction of HG. It didn't happen that way. I'd swear I did it, but that memory must be eidetic.

As I explained to my ally Minos, I will report to The Institute for 6 weeks penitential cleaning of library floors with a toothbrush. At that time I will pass the Toothbrush of Shame to the loser of the US Presidential election.

Is there a way I can fix it now? 67 shields lost and an unnecessary unit built (which I haven't actually done anything with).
      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

• Originally posted by Straybow
        Speaking of game speed, this idiot messed up 2 turns back but didn't notice until now. I officially blame the lengthy delays, not my own lack of intelligence etc.

I was to use CivDip to restore the WoW production lost due to Asshur's construction of HG. It didn't happen that way. I'd swear I did it, but that memory must be eidetic.

As I explained to my ally Minos, I will report to The Institute for 6 weeks penitential cleaning of library floors with a toothbrush. At that time I will pass the Toothbrush of Shame to the loser of the US Presidential election.

Is there a way I can fix it now? 67 shields lost and an unnecessary unit built (which I haven't actually done anything with).

There is no regular way to fix this. You're stuck with the current situation.
        "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
        "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

• 72h limit and Hittite shields

New 72 hours period starts, Sparrowhawk is asked for execution!
          I dislike to play against AI in place of human opponents, or with freezed humans, but we must speed up...

On other side...
          Originally posted by Straybow
          I suggest to do something with this. It is probably not solved in PBEMs regularly, but the Demographics window problem wasn't solved too in the past. BTW ... Straybow should report it immediately ... but I prefer tough and not handicapped opponents.

I think there are two ways
          1) To load the game in SP mode, to go to scenario menu (it allows the cheat menu too), change things, save, rename .sav to .net. I tried it with my 2910 save and it works (with my civ).
          But I noticed this way password(s) are erased (I tried to open Egypt - no password is asked for. I hope Kull will forgive me, I got absolutely no info about his civ).
          To be sure production of other civs is not corrupted - Straybow, could you try the procedure with your 2910 save, then send it to me? I will examine my civ. Just a test, I don't intend to replay this turn.

2) I can hexedit the save, respectively I can write I program that will find Straybow's city and make changes. This should be perfectly safe but more laborious for me.
          Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

• Re: 72h limit and Hittite shields

Originally posted by SlowThinker

But I noticed this way password(s) are erased (I tried to open Egypt - no password is asked for. I hope Kull will forgive me, I got absolutely no info about his civ).
            I must strongly object to this kind of behaviour
            "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

• Re: 72h limit and Hittite shields

Originally posted by SlowThinker
              I suggest to do something with this. It is probably not solved in PBEMs regularly, but the Demographics window problem wasn't solved too in the past. BTW ... Straybow should report it immediately ... but I prefer tough and not handicapped opponents.

2) I can hexedit the save, respectively I can write I program that will find Straybow's city and make changes. This should be perfectly safe but more laborious for me.

I must say that indeed Straybow is kinda late with this .

As far as I'm conceirned, Straybow had his chance to restore production, but failed. Too bad.
              While I don't care so much for the specific issue, there is the matter of setting a presedent (sp?). If we allow for this change back, where will it end? I can think of many instances where a hexedit could be wanted.

My vote is to keep it as it is now.

Comment

• Here is the save with the Contorl N for Kull (who has forwarded me his password now obviously )

Onward to Stephan and the Persians...makes me think maybe I should be pro-active and post another save with his turn also Control N.....but hopefully he shows up in the next 3 days

/me
                Attached Files
                "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• Sorry guys, my computer has crashed again (third time in the past few months), which means my email has been - and remains - out of commission. I'll try and play it today using a different machine.
                  To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

• I don't know what happened to Straybow exactly, so I can't compare well, but we had some kind of precedent when we agreed we would replay the F11 messes... but it is true they were repaired within one year (or 10 years)

Anyway I think such actions shouldn't be subject of voting but should require a consensus.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kull
                      Sorry guys, my computer has crashed again (third time in the past few months), which means my email has been - and remains - out of commission. I'll try and play it today using a different machine.
                      Originally posted by Sparrowhawk
                      Here is the save with the Contorl N for Kull (who has forwarded me his password now obviously )

Onward to Stephan and the Persians...makes me think maybe I should be pro-active and post another save with his turn also Control N.....but hopefully he shows up in the next 3 days

* Sparrowhawk
                      Originally posted by Stefan Härtel

I just noticed I forgot to take my Civ2 CD with me, so I won't be able to play till 27th September
                      considering all this, I propose that Kull has time untill Stephans planned return to post his save.
                      I haven't seen much of Stephan lately, but I sure hope he will show up.
                      I'll try e-mailing him in any case.

What a marvelous thing it is one CAN play without the disk, but perhaps Stephan hinted at being in a place where he couldn't play because he hasn't got the disk to install the game on a puter.

I sincerely hope that all technical issues for the various players will be fixed, and that now summer holiday season is over other delays will be something of the past as well.
                      This game is more or less the last one running at Apolython, and I would surely hate to see this forum die.

, Germanos

Comment

• After many weeks alone in the endless heaving waters of the Great Northern Sea, sailors aboard the waterlogged papyrus craft spotted hills in the distance, and, wonder-of-wonders, strange tiered buildings supported by bright red columns. The Egyptians can only guess as to who these strange folk might be!
                        Attached Files

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

• P.S. My computer (and thus email) has been down since 9/17 and I have no idea when I'll be able to get things running again. Hence those who seek to communicate with Pharoah are advised to use the PM system.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kull
                            P.S. My computer (and thus email) has been down since 9/17 and I have no idea when I'll be able to get things running again. Hence those who seek to communicate with Pharoah are advised to use the PM system.
                            will do

Comment

• Matter settled.

Academically I can see one immediate problem with the load SP and save as scenario method: it will reset the turn counter (thus oedo years) and probably the number of techs researched, too. It would still require a hexedit to restore those.

Anyway, I screwed up and it's too late to fix; only unanimous agreement should override that and Germanos does not agree.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• I would be OK from this point of view: both turn counter and number of techs look unchanged here.

Comment

Working...
                                X