New "Ancient Empires" PBEM created

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pharaoh
    As Egyptian units continue their westward retreat AWAY from Babylon and TOWARD the new Egyptian borders - while Babylonian units move ever westward and begin to enter Egyptian security zones, it's is patently obvious to all as to which leader has aggressive intent, and who seeks naught but security.
    If Pharaoh wishes that Babylon moves its Chariots I and II in Egypt and then slowly and solemnly withdraws them back so that we adequately manifest our peaceful disposition then we are ready to accomplish it.
    Yes, our units move westward, but they stay in Babylon. And you can see we use just Skirmishers and Horses in the problematic area, while Egypt tries to menace with Chariots 1 and 2 and an Envoy.
    We never heard about Egyptian security zones. Although we strained to obtain an agreement about them, we have learnt in Egypt they are considered a 'paranoid invention'.

Originally posted by The Immortal
    * It is very interesting the "Egypt's belief in Babylonian goodwill" ended and a Pharaoh's bad mood originated just in a moment when Babylon manifested no tolerance with secret operations of Egyptian army near Babylonian cities.
    Originally posted by Pharaoh
    Egypt now deeply regrets that it's units were used to safeguard Babylon's southern flank. It is clear that Babylon would have preferred an Assyrian Invasion to arrive from that direction. Sadly it is too late to grant them that wish.
    If Pharaoh thought his help in the Great War (very honoured in Babylon) granted special Egyptian rights to break promises and violate agreements then he should warn us in advance.
    The Chariot 1 that was caught north from Zibbar never guarded Babylon's southern flank but participated in the conquer of Tell Hariri probably. And just after Pharaoh promised Egyptian units wouldn't pass over Euphrat and Egypt would report any unit occurrence near the River, this Chariot I crossed Euphrat at the first ford east from Tell Hariri and continued east direction Hourigalzur. We tracked it all way.

The explanation behind these borders is clear to any child who can count to six. Red border tiles are those which are closer to Babylonian or Egyptian cities than to a neighbor. White dots indicate tiles which are equidistant, and thus "shared" between the powers. As such, neither side owns them.
    We can count to eight and the explanation is very clear to us, what is not clear is that on the Egyptian dictate/gentleman's agreement there are 'equidistant' squares between Mari and Dibshiya that are marked as an Egyptian land. Yet still the promontory of a neutral land in Babylon is very precise (although very unnatural).

Babylonian claims for more constitute either greed or a desire to move their forces within striking distance of Egyptian cities. Either motive is readily believable when viewed through the lens of the Great Paranoid Emperor of the Southeast.
    We don't understand one point. If we compare the Babylonian map and the Egyptian 'equidistant' rule then we can see Egypt offers more territory to Babylon west from Dibshiya (which is clearly important for security of Mari) but simultaneously requires more territory east from Tell Hariri (which is clearly important for security of Babylon). This doesn't conform the proclaimed Pharaoh's peaceful intentions and his fear from Babylon.
    Could Pharaoh explain that?
    Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

• I had to move my answer to Egypt , the original post was somewhat corrupted.

Comment

• We may have exceeded critical thread mass...

SP test shows no Ctrl-N on Gk save (a skirm sallied forth from Delos).
        Last edited by Straybow; May 5, 2006, 13:31.
        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

• Greetings leaders of civilizations,
          back three days earlier than expected...
          My apologies, if I had known what confusion I created about subbing my turn, I just would have added "simply ctrl-n me"...
          But thanks a lot for your efforts, especial to Stray & Rob
          As far as I understood, Rob did forget the ctrl-n, so I loaded the last turn (the si_b2620x.net was the correct one, if I understood STraybow right?) and completed the greek turn (this time with ctrl-n), I hope it is not too late and ok with you all...
          Attached Files

Comment

• Good to see you back, safe and sound. I hope your early return signifies unexpected success.

Yes, I handled all the barters and the end result is si_b2620x. Your return is less than a day after 72hrs, and now (a day later) we have three or four days before Zedd returns.
            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

• And thus bidden.......

I have the save and will play and post tomorrow to try and keep the game on schedule.

Wizards sixth rule:
              "The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason."
              Can't keep me down, I will CIV on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Straybow
                SP test shows no Ctrl-N on Gk save (a skirm sallied forth from Delos).
                Aarrgh.

Sorry about that. I know I did it the first time. Obviously, I was not being sufficiently careful the second time 'round.

Well, moot point, I guess. Kengel was able to do the turn his way, anyway.

Let me know if anyone needs me again.

And if people want me to continue experimenting with barbies, let me know. I may do some more just to satisfy my own curiosity. Or I may not.

Barbie Summary so far:

- I'm pretty sure you can get them to work if you switch to hotseat mode. But I don't recall the reasons hotseat mode has generally been rejected for PBEM. And I haven't really explored the implications of switching this game.

- I think you can get them to work in network mode, but there are still some inconsistencies and questions regarding the "End of Turn". More importantly, I can' t see any feasible way to make them target civs besides the Hittites and Minoans (maybe submitting each and every turn to a "turn incrementer", but that would slow down an already slow game, intolerably, I think).

- So far only Kull has expressed enthusiasm for re-introducing them, anyway. SlowThinker has voted nay, but won't veto if others prefer them. Straybow has voiced reservations, particularly if they target the Hittites (as they will, I think, it most of the .net solutions I've been experimenting with). I don't think Peaster, Zedd, or Kengel have expressed an opinion yet. Sorry if I missed such.

Comment

• I think the .net mode is out of question, since barbs would hit mainly Hittites.

So only the .hot mode remains:
                  I don't know if it is possible to switch our game from .net to .hot mode. RobRoy, could you test it? You must save as scenario and start this scenario in .hot mode, but I am afraid there will be some problems (like cities processed twice in a turn).

Comment

• Not much going on, some ships with merchants moving arround and a wiley horseman from Dibshia sees green and yellow flags all arround. It seems that a resolution to the conflict is still far from complete.

Minoa has agreed to hold Dibshia to establish a "Neutral Zone" between our sparing brothers, but still units walk through the fields.
                    Attached Files
                    Wizards sixth rule:

Comment

• Originally posted by Lycastus
                      Minoa has agreed to hold Dibshia to establish a "Neutral Zone" between our sparing brothers, but still units walk through the fields.
                      I am not sure what these words stand for exactly, so I will add some words myself.

We said to keeper of Dibshiya we preferred only Minoan units (no Bab units) scout the area west from Dibshiya since it might calm the situation.
                      But Babylonian units must block the area south from Dibshiya including the river since Minoans don't have enough of units for that.

And we don't have enough of funds to repaint Dibshiya now, so if Pharaoh can cope with color puzlement then Dibshiya will stay purple next 5-10 turns.

Comment

• Minoa has agreed to hold Dibshia to establish a "Neutral Zone" between our sparing brothers, but still units walk through the fields.
                        Generally meant to convey the progression toward peace, but continued tension between the nations.

Just some semi-relevant rambling. sorry for being a bit obtuse.
                        Wizards sixth rule:

Comment

• The roads and waterways hum with happy merchants. Bless the gods who have brought victory over Assyria, and with victory, peace.

May the gods bring peace now, that we need not wait upon the fates to see who stands victorious should war come again.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Straybow II
                            The roads and waterways hum with happy merchants. Bless the gods who have brought victory over Assyria, and with victory, peace.
                            May the gods bring peace now, that we need not wait upon the fates to see who stands victorious should war come again.
                            War? King Straybow fears of yellows soldiers? Our caravanieri will protect Hittite cities by their own bodies!
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Bab 2610

News from Babylon:
                              A message to the Egyptian Chariot 1 that forgot to 'continue its westward movement' last turn because the charioteer adjusted his bootlaces: we are sorry that our Skirmisher blocked you. The Skirmisher will replace an Early Chariot onboard the Early Sail so that citizens of Tell Hariri don't feel threatened.
                              We will free the route from Babylon to Egypt next.

The precautions due to the situation on the Bab-Eg border are expensive, fortunately a trade with Persia and Asia yields enough of funds now and so economic losses are not so painful.

Babylonian diplomats speculated if there couldn't be some kind of misunderstanding between Babylon and Egypt... So maybe we should explain this:
                              The map of Babylon that was sent to Egypt and published here includes also a land worked from Babylonian cities. In other words we don't plan to build cities on very margin of Babylon: for example the wheat 2 squares west from Dibshiya is added to the Babylonian land not because we plan to build a city here but because it is worked from Dibshiya.
                              Indeed we don't intend to expand west from Dibshiya.
                              Now we have no no-caravan units west from the meridian of Dibshiya except the sail with the early chariot.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• The Babylonians swarm toward Tell Hariri like a cloud of gnats, while their leader mutters unintelligably. General Mekret has been instructed to prepare his defenses.

Elsewhere, trustworthy alliance members conduct trade with Egyptian cities. We are happy to welcome them into our halls.
                                Attached Files
                                To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

Working...
                                X