No announcement yet.

TOT is better than Civ 3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've heard good things about CTP2, especially with the modpacks, but never have tried it. From what I understand, however, no one designs scenarios for it. If true, is there a reason for the lack, or is just inertia?
    El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

You heard right Boco, CtP2 so underestimated partly due to the bugs it originally had, the bugs ctp1 had and the inbalances ctp1 had (ppl think generally ctp2 would be same as ctp1 so dont bother playing it)

Well the vaste majority of bugs from ctp1 were fixed, but with any mod that you download (egMM2,Cradle,WAW.SAP) etc ALL!!! these bugs have been fixed (which people dont take not of) and as well as that loads of new events actions units wonders etc etc have been added too its just the ultimate civ game. Anyway ill stop ranting on and give you a link to all the scenarios that are out and upcomming for ctp2

This doesnt include the 5 official Activision scenarios (WW2,Nuke (modern one), Alexandra the gret, Great samurai and another one i cant remember, Magellan one or something.

P.S. Take particular note of Pedrunn's space scenario (total game overhaul new GUI and everything)
      Oxygen should be considered a drug
      Tiberian Sun Retro
      My Mod for Tiberian Sun Webmaster of
      http://www.tiberiumsun.com

Comment

THREADJACK!

Scripting events in scenarios for CtP2 is somewhat more difficult that Civ2, its done through a SLIC script, but if you post what you want to achieve on the forum someone will tell you how to do it in no time, not me though 'cause im thick. But the mods are actually scenarios in themselves.

Whats this Magellan scenario your talking about smiffgig?
        Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
        CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
        One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

I just got an old laptop (PII 233) and installed ToT on it.

I haven't played it in a long time- not since I got addicted to SMAX, and not since the disappointment of Civ3.

But I do remember having more fun in ToT than in any other TBS game to date.

Anyone wanna play some PBEM? :P

-edit-

I break my sentences up like that: I don't know why

Comment

ToT is better than Civ3...and MGE is better than ToT. Theoretically ToT is better but in practice (ie no one plays it and it isn't backward compatible with MGE) ToT sucks.
            "Long live Iraq. Long live Jihad. Long live Palestine. God is great, God is great." - President Saddam Hussein

Comment

Since you can use CivConverter to convert older Civ2 scenarios to ToT, the compatibility issue isn't much of a problem.
              Clash of Civilization team member
              (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
              web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

But can someone with ToT play a multiplayer game with someone who is using MGE?
                "Long live Iraq. Long live Jihad. Long live Palestine. God is great, God is great." - President Saddam Hussein

Comment

No clue... ToT is more for the scenarios and different challenge... I would think that if you played in the classic version of the game it'd be possible.
                  I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

I think the real problem with ToT is that it was flogging a dead horse, there had already been too many versions of Civ 2 released, so no one wanted to buy it when it came out, I did but I wish I hadn't wasted the money on something that was incompatible with just about all the good scenarios out at the time.

Comment

The incompatability is what really killed it. That, and no PBEM.

Comment

There is a utility out there called CivConverter which can convert pre-ToT scenarios to ToT...

I don't think it's the "incompatibility" that killed it (conversion is quite possible, but nobody seems to even care, they'd rather be lazy and get MGE because everybody seems to have that), it's the graphics that killed it (even though nobody seems to want to admit it, graphics are an important part of a game, and just about the first thing you see of a game too).

No PBEM? I didn't know that... Really?
                        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

*nods* I'd agree it was the graphics...

I thought MP was possible on ToT...
                          I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Gotta hand it to them. Made 24(?) bit color look worse than 256. Then used a proprietary format for sprites. Then fixed the unit key in the middle of the square above the unit.

Still that improved macro language, larger events heap, multiple maps.... Make it a scenario designer's dream (well sans editing tools). Those features and some subtle (cough) evangelism by Tec did it for me.
                            El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

Working...
                            X