Info: Combat (GL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

post 65

There was my error in the post 62: only air units with range 0 (helicopters) can capture a city.
    Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

post 66

My, my five downloads of your comments! Here is my response...
      Attached Files
      The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
      intelligence to few.

Comment

post 67

ST, your posts 18 and 19 have been accounted for in the recent updates of this thread. Or they are currently being handled in this latest exchange of text.

I've updated the main posts to reflect changes currently being clarified with ST. I think it's better to have it current (to at least a draft form) than a version that is obsolete... More updates may follow soon.

intelligence to few.

Comment

post 68

the answer to Combat 11 ST response.rtf (post 66) is attached
          Attached Files

Comment

Boco's "Combat calculator" in HS-Scenario League:

A copy from the thread:
            Originally posted by Boco
            1) The program calculates the probability of the attacker's success
            2) It also calculates the average injury expected per single eliminated opponent.
            3) There a number checkboxes to activate the myriad of modifiers discussed in the thread.
            4) Unit values can be entered manually or read from the Rules.txt of your choice.

Comment

Some questions that I have that might be nice to highlight in the basic text (after answers) as they are common questions/misconceptions.

1. Does the pikeman bonus work against howies?
              2. Do fortresses work against howies?
              3. Do fortresses work against air or naval attackers.

Thanks and great work...

Comment

Originally posted by GP
                1. Does the pikeman bonus work against howies?
                2. Do fortresses work against howies?
                3. Do fortresses work against air or naval attackers.
                The answers are in the download document, but I'd not updated the thread with the answer to your last question! (edit: the thread is now updated to match the document, available in the first post of page 3). The answers:

1) NO, only against units with movement=2
                2) YES
                3) Not against an attack by an air unit, yes against naval attackers. Only land units gain the defensive bonus, tho.
                Last edited by Marquis de Sodaq; June 11, 2002, 12:48.

intelligence to few.

Comment

GP,
                  IIRC the fortress work against naval but nor air units (or reversely). Anyway the fortification works against all units, city walls against land only, and the fortress is between a fortification and a walls.
                  Marquis is rebuilding the text now, this is not a final version. Or the sentence about naval/air attacking fortress was lost during some update.

Edit: out of date, I was too slow
                  Last edited by SlowThinker; November 15, 2001, 16:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq

The answers are in the download document, but I'd not updated the thread with the answer to your last question! (edit: the thread is now updated to match the document, available in the first post of page 3). The answers:

1) NO, only against units with movement=2, hp=1, fp=1
                    2) YES
                    3) Not against an attack by an air unit, yes against naval attackers. Only land units gain the defensive bonus, tho.
                    1. Thanks for the response.

2. I didn't look at the download document. I advise making the summary text include these things. Other people are lazy readers too. I'd also add in Slowhand's table.

Comment

Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq

1) NO, only against units with movement=2, hp=1, fp=1
                      Does this exclude any other MP=2 units other than the howitzer? Is it possible that the game really just gives pikeman bonus to MP=2 and uses the howitzer flag to superced that? Have you tried editing HP and FP to check this mechanism?

Comment

I have had a recent disagreement with another civer in Civ3 thread. He claims that the computer gets a combat "cheat" bonus at deity level. I claim he's wrong. I appealled to you as authorities. Could you please answer the question here and on the other thread?

This would also make a good addition to the myth section.

Comment

Same issue as above but with problem that my antogonist claims that the "last defender" in the city gets a cheat from the computer.

Please help slay myths...

Comment

more stuff

2 more things to add for completeness:

-how Cheiftan makes the combat easier. At minimum a statement. Better yet a formula.

-How the barbarian can't take your capitol or first city or something of that sort. (can't remember exactly but you know what I mean...)

Comment

Re: post 62

Originally posted by SlowThinker
                              A city can be captured (OK, sacked ) if there is no enemy unit inside (including units with 0 defense). Any ground unit except a Dip/Spy and a Caravan/Freight or air units with range 0 (helicopters) can do it. The unit may capture from both ground and sea squares.
                              Are there any differences in AI and player units in terms of occupying cities? I seem to remember the AI being able to use settlers to take over my cities, but I thought I couldn't.

Also your "and", "or" logic chain is not clear to me. Can the helicopter take cities?

Comment

Re: more stuff

Originally posted by GP
                                2. I didn't look at the download document. I advise making the summary text include these things. Other people are lazy readers too. I'd also add in Slowhand's table.
                                You mean SlowThinker's?
                                Originally posted by GP
                                -how Cheiftan makes the combat easier. At minimum a statement. Better yet a formula.

Are there any differences in AI and player units in terms of occupying cities? I seem to remember the AI being able to use settlers to take over my cities, but I thought I couldn't.
                                I know nothing about this...
                                Originally posted by GP
                                Also your "and", "or" logic chain is not clear to me. Can the helicopter take cities?
                                Thank you. I edited the post now.

Comment

Working...
                                X