Info: Combat (GL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• post 106 (thanks, SG)

Thoth, that's interesting! Immediately I think of the other attack=0 units - can a paradropping diplomat capture a city? It's time to go to the lab to drop camels and busty vixens from airplanes. I'll try a loaded transport, as well.
    The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
    intelligence to few.

Comment

• Well, I opened up the lab and some notes I made awhile back on paradropping ships.

General:

Must paradrop to a land square.

Can paradrop from an ocean Airbase. This applies to Air, Sea and Land based units. The Land based units may be brought in by ship and then paradrop from the airbase.

Paradropping ships:
      Cannot move except into to water squares.

Units "asleep" in a paradropping ship's holds will be transported with the ship and may attack/move normally after the paradrop.
      Note: All road/railroad movement multipliers affect the land units normally. ie: If your ship paradrops onto a railroaded square the units inside are treated as if they begin their turn on railroad.

Sea Based Transport/Airbases:

AFAIK these can only be created using the cheat menu.

Change to grassland. Toggle Airbase/Transporter on. Change back to ocean.

Air units will refuel (and end their turn) at Ocean Airbases. Naval Paradrop units can paradrop from (but not to) ocean airbases.

City Capture:

Ships, aircraft, diplomats and caravans can all capture empty enemy cities by paradropping into them.

I encountered the idea for paradropping ships in a WWII scenario some time ago (I can't remember what it was called. I think the author was Captain Nemo but I am by no means certain. )

I played around with the idea a few months ago while searching for a decent way to model hyperspace travel for a sci-fi scenario. I was disapointed to discover that changing the movement cost of ocean and/or railroading it has no effect on ship movement.
      Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
      I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

• Originally posted by Scouse Gits
        Just to nitpick - before Slow Thinker gets to it - I think your post count is out by 1, M le Marquis. This is (I believe) post 104.
        About nitpicks...Who will repair the Library?
        Last edited by SlowThinker; April 15, 2002, 19:43.
        Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

• Post 109

Testing has shown that a long held "fact" was indeed a myth. The pikeman bonus (3.7) "x2 vs horse" is not limited to move=2, hp=1, fp=1 attacks. The bonus is still triggered by a unit with move=2, hp=1, fp=2.

In short, firepower is irrelevant when determining if the pikeman bonus will be triggered. Details:
          Here

The Adjustment Factors and Credits posts have been updated. You learn something new every day...

intelligence to few.

Comment

• post 110

Marquis,

The thread deserves some cleaning, it is hard to search among so much posts.
            I think you should take a journey through the thread and include all the new info.

Is the link to the Boco'c calculator somewhere already? If not: Everything you want to know about CivII combat!

Comment

• Make sure that the cheiftan issue is included. (Both the manual and my testing support it.)

Comment

• Originally posted by GP
                Make sure that the cheiftan issue is included. (Both the manual and my testing support it.)
                Uh... please refresh my memory Was this about a combat bonus for the human at chieftain level?

Do you have any numbers and circumstance description of your tests? That would be good to include.
                Last edited by Marquis de Sodaq; June 11, 2002, 12:50.

intelligence to few.

Comment

• deleted, slow post

Comment

• Marquis, I don't have the numbers anymore. What the manual says is that there is a human bonus. What I've seen is that, if you try attacking AI phalanxes (on grassland) you win about 50% of the time. Not sure what that implies about other combats or if you are the defender. It is a definite effect though. Not something I'm imagining. It's quite noticeable and refects some modification to the formula for humans in cheiftan. I don't have the game anymore so I can't test it again.

Comment

• post 115

Okay, GP, maybe it's time for me to dust off the old chieftain button on the startup menu. I'll post whatever I find, then compare it to the manual...

intelligence to few.

Comment

• post 116

Originally posted by la fayette in CivFanatics: Civ 2 1-pager tech tree
                        Pikemen: defence against horse = +1 (not x2; this has been demonstrated by DaveV, the master of ICS , IIRC, ask Sodak if in doubt)
                        I never heard about this...

Comment

• Originally posted by GP
                          Marquis, I don't have the numbers anymore. What the manual says is that there is a human bonus. What I've seen is that, if you try attacking AI phalanxes (on grassland) you win about 50% of the time. Not sure what that implies about other combats or if you are the defender. It is a definite effect though. Not something I'm imagining. It's quite noticeable and refects some modification to the formula for humans in cheiftan. I don't have the game anymore so I can't test it again.
                          GP, I don't recall anything in the manual indicating that the human player gets any combat bonus at chieftain level. Can you locate that info for us?

What units are you saying win 50% of the time attacking AI phalanxes? Warriors? That would imply a double-strength attack. Horsemen? That would be pretty close to the expected, right?

Comment

• post 118

Originally posted by SlowThinker
                            I never heard about this...
                            +1 with the pikeman defense of 2 is the same as x1.5 - that should sound familiar. To see if it is added instead of multiplied, one need only check with a higher defense value pikeman.

intelligence to few.

Comment

• debeest, I'm talking phalanx against phalanx.

Comment

• I'km sure that I read it. Not sure if it was manual or strat guide. I will check the manual, don't have the strat guide. Regardless, all you have to do is fire up cheiftan and play a little. You will see that combat is skewed.

Comment

Working...
                                X