No announcement yet.

Info: Combat (GL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found the Kobayashi Battle Outcome Simulator: The link is at http://www.civfanatics.com/civ2reference.shtml
    Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

deleted

Last edited by SlowThinker; August 7, 2001, 11:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
        ADJUSTMENT FACTORS

3.3 Terrain increases defense strength of all units by:[list=a][*] x150% if on forest, jungle, or swamp[*] x200% if on hills[*] x300% if on mountains[*] +50% if on a river, additively enhancing any other terrain bonus. For example, a rivered hill gives a x250% bonus, a (200 + 50)% multiplier.[/list=a]
        Unless I am wrong (and I could be), the only way you can have a river running through any tile except a grassland or plain is to create it yourself using the map editor. It's not possible to change the tile to a river tile using cheat mode (SHFT-F8).

The maps produced randomly at the start of a game will never give you a hill tile with a river. At least I have never seen any. So you'll never get that "X250% bonus for a rivered hill" unless you use pre-constructed maps.

Comment

post 9

fittstim, I'm certain the map generator will run rivers thru jungle, swamp, and forest. I'd suspect hills, too. Even if it does not, the defensive value does apply on the player-made maps.
          Last edited by Marquis de Sodaq; August 14, 2001, 10:42.
          The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
          intelligence to few.

Comment

fittstim,

I too can't recall seeing a "natural" river running through hills or forests. (I have seen some random-map jungle rivers. The World maps that come with Civ2 have rivered jungles in Brazil.) You're also correct in that players can't create a river (short of edited maps or cheat mode).

However, players can use engineers (and in some cases settlers) to alter the terrain during the game. In fact, I think it's pretty common in OCC games for players to change rivered flatlands to rivered forests. They then get increased shields but still keep the same arrows. Theoretically, engineers could turn river squares into hills as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
              ADJUSTMENT FACTORS[*]It has been suggested, but not tested, that city defenders do gain the bonus immediately if given the order to fortify with the 'f' key, but not the menu. (MdS suspects this is false.)
              I think this is a multiplayer thing. In an MP game, if you issue the fortify command to any unit (not necessarily in a city) which has non-zero movement available, it will fortify before the next player's turn. I think it works this way for the AI, too.
              Last edited by DaveV; August 13, 2001, 21:45.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveV

and rivered mountains a whopping 450%.
                Dave
                My History book states that Rome was built on 7 hills.
                If you intend to rebuild it on a mountain, please, let us know!

(La Fayette, anxious to see tha walls of Rome down)
                Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Originally posted by DaveV

I disagree. I think it's been conclusively proven that all bonuses are multiplicative, so rivered forest gives a 225% defense, rivered hills a 300% strength, and rivered mountains a whopping 450%.
                  Wait, if all bonuses are multiplicative, then wouldn't the bonus for a rivered forest be actually worse than a regular forest? 150% X 50% = 75%

Comment

post 14

For anyone who doesn't understand, rivered forest would be 150% + 50% = 200%, same as a hill.

(Deleted resolved text)
                    Last edited by Marquis de Sodaq; August 14, 2001, 10:41.

intelligence to few.

Comment

Post 15

deleted
                      Last edited by SlowThinker; October 10, 2001, 18:11.

Comment

Post 16

deleted
                        Last edited by SlowThinker; October 5, 2001, 14:23.

Comment

post 17

(Deleted text redundant with later posts)

1.6 The domain flag in the rules.txt is the likely reason. A quick test with a fighter altered to stay aloft for 2 turns would answer if it's the domain or the units.

I have incorporated all your comments for 3.7 and 3.9.
                          Last edited by Marquis de Sodaq; August 14, 2001, 10:45.

intelligence to few.

Comment

Post 18

removed
                            Last edited by SlowThinker; October 10, 2001, 22:37.

Comment

Post 19

removed
                              Last edited by SlowThinker; October 10, 2001, 18:10.

Comment

deleted
                                Last edited by SlowThinker; October 5, 2001, 14:25.

Comment

Working...
                                X