No announcement yet.

Info: Settlers/Engineers (GL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow, i am in the same boat as Rah, i never spent the time to calculate...i knew it was faster too and always wondered why one set finished before the other
    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by rah
      just no one put together what was happening on latter turns.
      This is what makes people like samson, solo or SlowThinker very precious for us gamers and warmongers
      Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Yep, we seem to spend more time playing, and they spend more time thinking.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

...though SlowThinker also uses 'a lot of time'/turn when playing

Comment

I would have guess that.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

This thread don't deserve spam...
              Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

You're correct, so I'll stop it here.

But I do agree with La Fayette, you guys have made some great contributions for us wardogs. Even if we don't use it down to the smallest detail (due to the nature of MP games), the general overall concepts have really helped our games. You all are to be commended.

Thanks,

RAH
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

yes a job well done, i dn't have the patience to go through it all..especially when i know alot of it but can prove algorythms or the theory behind them with numbers.

well done and keep it up...soon you should be able to program your own game
                  Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

no transfer of work between settlers (??)

I found a case where the work of individual Settlers working on the same square is not cumulated.
                    As everybody knows, the last Settler that performs work on a given square gathers aggregated work/charge of all Settlers that are also on that square.
                    But in GOTM #38 it is not true!
                    See the attachment. At Persepolis there are two Settlers, one is homed in Tarsus, the second one in Arbela. Tarsus' Settler has 1 pre-charge, Arbela has 0 pre-charge. They usually (not always!) keep their work on this map.
                    I tested both FW and MGE, there is no difference.
                    It is a FW save.

If you want to watch the pre-charge easily load the Civ2Admin v. 0.5 (in debug status) - it shows the pre-charge of Settlers. Download is here: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...22#post2783157

Settings of GOTM #38 are here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...threadid=80181
                    Attached Files

Comment

If Tarsus = Praha and Arbela = Bratislava, then I guess what happened
                      ... otherwise: no idea

Comment

I restarted Civ2 FW, reloaded the position - and now, it works normally...
                        Maybe it depends on the wheather...

Comment

I would like to point out something about the rules.txt settings:

Mountains, 3,6, 0,1,0, no, 1,10, 0, yes, 1,10, 6, Hil, ; Mou

explanation of the row:
                          no = no irigation possible
                          1,10, 0, = +1 food after Irr., 10 turns to complete, 0 ai-likes-to-irigate

So on Mountains there is no irrigation possible and still some effect of irrigation?
                          The answer is: Settlers and engineers cannot irrigate, but you get an irrigation if you build a city.

But civilopedia is brief about this, it only says irrigation is possible.

Comment

I just recently discovered you can Cheat-Mode irrigate mountains (and farmland, too, I think...). Sounds like changing the NO to YES in RULES.TXT would allow Set/Eng to do it themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Elephant
                              Sounds like changing the NO to YES in RULES.TXT would allow Set/Eng to do it themselves.
                              I think so.

Comment

There is an error in Gastrifitis' otherwise excellent treatise on Settlers and Engineers. The following is incorrect

Originally posted by Gastrifitis

4.2. Using several workers on the same task

If you send three Engineers to the same square, tell them to Transform, and just leave them to it, the third Engineer’s efforts will be wasted. The project will not be completed any faster than it would have if only two Engineers were working the square. The game just doesn’t work that way.

Originally posted by Agricola

TABLE II summarizes the number of turns required by 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 Engineers to irrigate, mine or transform each type of terrain. For example, the number sequence 20,10,8,7,8 indicates that it will take 1 Engineer 20 turns, 2 Engineers 10 turns, 3 Engineers 8 turns, 4 Engineers 7 turns and 5 Engineers 8 turns to complete the task. The fact that 4 Engineers require less time than 5 is not a misprint.
                                Code:
                                 TABLE II
                                ------------ IRRIGATE ---- MINE ----- TRANSFORM
                                Desert-----/ 3,2,2,2,2 / 3,2,2,2,2 / 10,5,4,4,4 
                                Forest-----/ 3,2,2,2,2 / xxxxxxxxx / 20,10,8,7,8 
                                Glacier----/ xxxxxxxxx / 8,4,4,3,3 / 20,10,8,7,8 
                                Grassland—-/ 3,2,2,2,2 / 5,3,3,2,3 / 10,5,4,4,4
                                Hills------/ 5,3,3,2,3 / 5,3,3,2,3 / 10,5,4,4,4 
                                Jungle-----/ 8,4,4,3,3 / 8,4,4,4,3 / 10,5,4,4,4 
                                Mountains—-/ xxxxxxxxx / 5,3,3,2,3 / 30,15,11,11,11 
                                Plains-----/ 3,2,2,2,2 / 8,4,4,3,3 / 10,5,4,4,4
                                Swamp------/ 8,4,4,3,3 / 8,4,4,3,3 / 20,10,8,7,8 
                                Tundra-----/ 5,3,3,2,3 / xxxxxxxxx / 10,5,4,4,4
                                I am surprised by some of the irregularities in the results and by how little the use of more than 2 Engineers actually speeds up the work in most situations. Players may want to consider carefully whether it is worthwhile assigning extra Engineers to speed up the completion of a task by a turn or two.
                                The preceding quote is from
                                There have been recurring discussions about the optimum number of Engineers to use for building terrain improvements and for transforming terrain. I think that this information answers any remaining questions for MGE. CAUTIONARY NOTE: Easy acquisition of the data for this summary was...
                                Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
                                Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Working...
                                X