No announcement yet.

Help with space scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Um, my real name is Paul Heron (I'm still around). I did the AVP mod two years back.
    Space scenarios are some of the hardest to get right because so much stuff needs to be changed. I'm currently working on a H.P. Lovecraft inspired, Cthulhu Mythos scen. (not space). Nice to read the comments about that galactic map I did - glad that people are still finding uses for it.

Comment

Cthulhu, If you did a map bigger than 10000, how did you do it?
      Alexandre Madeira
      I create worlds. :)

Comment

Cthulhu YOU did avp? I was looking for that, I even made a post about it, go to community!

Comment

Regarding the galaxy map, I didn't know it was more than 10,000 squares. How is that possible? I don't know. I can't remember much about making that map now. Maybe there was a bug in the earlier versions of Civ 2 that allowed you to do it.

Comment

Thank you Mark for migrating this old thread.
            As you can see this thread is one year old, some of you may remember it. Im glad to say I will be resuming work on a space scenario, but this time for Test of Time, taking advantage of all the great new things in this great new game.
            I'll start a new thread about this scenario cause this one is big enough.
            Alexandre Madeira
            I create worlds. :)

Comment

Michael G, You wanted to weaken Nukes?
              Attack power 99 has a hard coded ability to destroy all units in a 3x3 area, so you can't weaken it. Nukes may not destroy planets, but a new name for it could (ex. Death star in a starwars scenario)

For impassable terrain set the Passable? flag to No.

Space could be just one map and have 3 planets for the others, linking to space at just one spot(where the planet is in space & "Sutable landing site") Starports could be spaceports.
              [This message has been edited by Civmaniac (edited July 12, 2000).]
              Test of Time
              Buy it now!

Comment

Here's an idea, use rivers as hyperspace conduits between systems that are blocked off to each other normally. The path-forming ability of the river would allow you to create a long tunnel that looks good too.

You could also use rivers to create any large object you need on the map (nebulas for instance) that would give extra speed unless it's on unpassable terrain. If the graphic is large enough, it would cover up the original unpassable terrain, letting the player see only the river.

Comment

Since ToT did not come with a map editor(LAZY PROGRAMERS!) and CHEAT! cannot add rivers, the idea can't work.
                  Test of Time
                  Buy it now!

Comment

I have a different idea. What if, each of the four maps represented a different area of a galaxy, a "sector" for example. All four maps would use nearly identical terrain, Then, units can jump from map to map (hyperspace) and it would be posible to represent a large area, like a galaxy.
                    *grumbles about work*

Comment

If you 'jumped' from, say, the right side of a sector, you would end up on the right side of another sector. Makes no sense.
                      Test of Time
                      Buy it now!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Civmaniac on 07-12-2000 06:03 PM
                        For impassable terrain set the Passable? flag to No.
                        [This message has been edited by Civmaniac (edited July 12, 2000).]

Creation of impassable terrain;

Comment

Thank you! I enjoy being proven right!
                          Test of Time
                          Buy it now!

Comment

Hey, if you get ICQ, I could make sure that Rivers aren't a problem for you

Comment

Pardon my nievety, but, what is ICQ?
                              Test of Time
                              Buy it now!

Comment

ICQ is a program that let's people talk to each other. You can get it at www.icq.com . I have it, it works great for setting up multiplayer gaming times.

------------------
                                SandMonkey

"Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a qtip"
                                -Homer Simpson

"Ecky ecky ecky!"
                                "It's just a flesh wound!"
                                - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Check out my 1602 A.D. site

Comment

Working...
                                X