Hex editor needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem . . .

The problem with the scen is that the barbarian sea units vanish first turn and don't ever get built. Events deliver more on random turns, but these disappear too.

My guess is that, at some point during the development process, a civ received the Mobile Warfare tech. None of them have it now.

When the Mobile Warfare tech is discovered in a scenario, by ANYONE, it eliminates ALL barbarian piracy.

This might/probably does explain why the scen's AI barbarian ships all disband.

I'm guessing that there is an on/off toggle somewhere that indicates whether or not this no-more-piracy effect has been implemented. But maybe not. Sounds like it might be outside the range of current hex-knowledge.
    Lost in America.
    "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
    "or a very good liar." --Stefu
    "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. I'll take a shot right now at finding the toggle, if there is one.

Is there any chance that the level of barb activity has an effect on the longevity of barb sea units? I can recall playing scens or games where they hung around for a long time.
      Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
      Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Thanks Agri. Much appreciated!

Unfortunately it looks like the Prussians will build this wonder before I (Britain) gets the chance
        SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
        SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
        SL INFORMATION THREAD
        CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

Vanishing ships

Having loaded, modified, fast forwarded and generally bu**ered around with the scen, I finally fully understand the problem. As far as barb ships (but not ground units) are concerned, the Med is indeed one big Bermuda Triangle.

I doubt that there is a specific Mobile Warfare toggle because there really is no need for one. Whether Mobile Warfare has been discovered can be obtained from the following data section near the beginning of game saves:

Offsets 166-265: For each of the 100 advances an enumeration of all the civs that have discovered a tech. The information is in binary form and is read right to left.
          E.g. 0001 0010 means: civs 1 and 4 have discovered the technology.

In the .scn file, the Mobile Warfare info is in byte 219 and is 0000 0000 (i.e. no civ has discovered it). The Civ2.exe can tell whether or not MW has been discovered by simply looking up the value of byte 219. If the value is greater than 0, somebody has discovered the tech. There is no need for a separate toggle.

Unfortunately, that is the only bit of information, albeit absolutely useless, that I have been able to come up with. I agree with your comment that "Sounds like it might be outside the range of current hex-knowledge.". Too bad.

Comment

I had a look through William Keenan's paper and your events and rules, Exile.

I think there's another reason your barbarians are disappearing. Here are two quotes from the Barbarian Paper:

Barbarian transports, defined as any domain 2 barbarian that can carry ground units regardless of the role assigned (...) [a]re immediately disbanded when no ground units are aboard. This only applies to ground unit carriers, those that can carry air units are not disbanded for lack of units aboard.

In contrast with:

Barbarian warships, defined as any domain 2 barbarian units that can not carry ground units or can carry air units (...) [a]re unlikely to be disbanded by the AI.

The Barbary Pirate units you create in your events have a hold number of 1, but no land units are created on them, so they disband.

If you change the rules such that the pirate ship can no longer carry units, or if you events-generate barbarian land units on them, your problem should be fixed.
            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Ok then . . .

Solution applied and functional, I'm happy to say. Thanks to Aggie for disabusing me of my notion of what was wrong, and thanks to Jorrit for finding the solution.
              Last edited by Exile; February 17, 2008, 18:45.
              Lost in America.

Comment

Here is a new rules.txt file that solves the problem;
                Attached Files
                Lost in America.

Comment

Next Question . . . .

Is there a hexedit way to bring a government down on the first turn? I want the very first act of the game to be a government collapse from a democracy for player 1. Is it do-able?
                  Lost in America.

Comment

Re: Next Question . . . .

Originally posted by Exile
                    Is there a hexedit way to bring a government down on the first turn? I want the very first act of the game to be a government collapse from a democracy for player 1. Is it do-able?
                    Yes, one can set the government to Anarchy in the .scn file. One would also have to fix it so that at least one city is actually in disorder in the .scn file.

However, this would not create the standard Anarchy popup when you started the scen. For that you would need an event that generates something like "Your miserable Democracy has disintegrated into glorious Anarchy. Up the Revolution!".

If that isn't suitable, I may be able to do it if I can find info on what it takes in terms of the number cities in disorder and for how long to bring down the government (i.e. 3 cities for 1 turn or 1 city for 3 turns or whatever). I can't find anything in the Great Library.
                    Last edited by AGRICOLA; February 19, 2008, 05:49.

Comment

If you can do it, I'll send you the file. I'm going to wait though, as that scen has other problems that I'm going to have to solve if it's ever going to be finished.
                      Lost in America.

Comment

Before you send it to me, in your .scn file you may want to try to use CHEAT/FORCE GOVERNMENT/ANARCHY and throw one of your cities into disorder, possibly by selling a happiness improvement. It seems to work in an MGE scen that I'm playing.

Comment

Working...
                        X